Suspicious Package Leads To Evacuations

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 25 August 06 10:24 am

LOL... quite a funny read, I'm glad everyone had a sense of humor about it.
<p>
This is the cache: <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... d8f4d37213
">GCQZ48 BCTC-Monroe Historical Society</a>
<p>
My only concern is that one day someone is going to get upset after wasting time on a bomb scare that turns out to be a geocache & then try to ban the whole sport because it will be a 'waste of taxpayers dollars'.

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 25 August 06 1:45 pm

It's been said before, but you really do have to wonder at the state of fear that's been built up, especially in the US.

I mean, why would any terrorist want to blow up an Historical Society in a backwater town? Similar incidents have happened with caches in suburban parks and the like. "Let's bring capitalism to its knees by blowing up all the trees! Mwaahaaahaaa!"

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 25 August 06 3:48 pm

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 25 August 06 4:46 pm

theUMP wrote:It's been said before, but you really do have to wonder at the state of fear that's been built up, especially in the US.

I mean, why would any terrorist want to blow up an Historical Society in a backwater town? Similar incidents have happened with caches in suburban parks and the like. "Let's bring capitalism to its knees by blowing up all the trees! Mwaahaaahaaa!"
<BR>
What spreads more terror, blowing up the usual suspects like parliament house or a bomb in your kids park, school, or any other place people would not expect and would feel relaxed about?
<BR>
My mother recently returned from a holiday in UK and said that there are no rubbish bins in London streets any more, they have hired brigades of street sweepers to prevent easy receptcles for bombs.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 26 August 06 1:04 am

Campbelltown Council pulled out some of its rubbish bins. So it wouldn't have to pay someone to empty them... :lol:

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 26 August 06 4:00 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:My mother recently returned from a holiday in UK and said that there are no rubbish bins in London streets any more, they have hired brigades of street sweepers to prevent easy receptcles for bombs.
Depends a bit where you go. Main-line railway stations are often severely bin-deprived (and have been that way since the IRA started using bins as handy bomb containers) but the streets usually (with a few notable exceptions) still have bins.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 26 August 06 7:33 am

Been at a Sydney inner-city station of late? No stations that I have visited recently had bins on the platforms until you got out to places like Riverstone. You may however find that the platform staff might have a wheelie bin sitting around waiting on them to do their next circuit of the platform to pick up the rubbish.

The other thing is the announcements, they have one that runs on a regular basis, unlike the trains, that tells you not to leave personal items unattended(as if I was going to do that - I left a jumper on a seat, got up took two steps, turned back to grab it and it was already gone) and to notify station staff if you see anything suspect...

All part of the big bad world that we live in I guess..........

Snuva
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 26 August 06 8:39 am

When I lived in Paris, the bins in the Metro and other public spaces had purpose-made lids. When there had been a pipe bomb or other reason for heightened alert, they would go around and fit the lids to the bins making them impossible to use. And then everyone just stacked trash up on the bins. . .but the Metro is basically a large public urinal.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 26 August 06 9:47 am

swampgecko wrote:..................... the platform staff .................
Holy Crap PLATFORM STAFF?? Your lucky; they replaced most of ours with ticket machines. Usually the only staff you see are gangs (they travel in large groups for their own protection) of ticket inspectors.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 26 August 06 9:48 am

I ate something a bit suspicious in a package once.

THAT led to evacuations, let me tell you!!!...

:wink: :roll:

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 26 August 06 11:15 am

TMI :shock:

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 27 August 06 9:58 am

Biggles Bear wrote:
swampgecko wrote:..................... the platform staff .................
Holy Crap PLATFORM STAFF?? Your lucky; they replaced most of ours with ticket machines. Usually the only staff you see are gangs (they travel in large groups for their own protection) of ticket inspectors.
Yeah platform staff, they are only there to interperate the announcements played by the platform staff..... but only if you can understand the platform staff in the first place... but then if we had annoucements that could be understood we wouldn't have the need for platform staff.... why does my head hurt just thinking about this

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 29 August 06 1:33 am

Of course isn't geocaching just a CIA front to make otherwise suspiscious dead drops by their agents easy to pass off as the innocent activities of the weekend geocacher?

Hypothetically?

Hide a bit of data on a couple of tracks of a seemingly blank cd or cheap classical disk, place it in a cache, log it or put a note on it on gc.com - and your contact comes along and picks it up. If it falls into the hands of another cacher it doesn't matter cos they won't find the encrypted data anyway - remember Stegnos?

Our sport is their cover.

If an international spy agency hasn't yet used geocaching as a front for data exchange I'll go he....

Back to weekend caching for me.

But maybe groundspeak is a CIA front organisation....

:shock:

DJ

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 29 August 06 1:41 pm

djcache wrote:Hypothetically?
Given the on line logs of some cachers I suspect exports from columbia may get cached too (but not in our caches thank goodness) :evil: