OT: Sydney Police Radio

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 22 August 06 8:23 pm

Back in the days before mobile phones became affordable to the average person, the only people that had them were the very wealthy and the phones were always installed in their cars, they were not yet small enough to be carried around. Of course this included such prominent figures as high rating radio/TV personalities, big company bosses, underworld big shots and of course, pollies. The beauty of the system was that the user always turned up on the same frequency every time so it was very easy to keep track of who was who. I often listened to the calls of many prominent people and the info was very juicy indeed. I often heard a certain polly(who shall remain nameless) but is very high profile even today, who regularly had a relatioship with another well known female polly who, shock horror, was not his wife.

It was great days back then. Mainly because these people, police included, had no idea they could be monitored. Today, it's less exciting because they are far more guarded about what they say. In those days they simply never gave a thought to being heard and the nature of the information was astounding. You think about it. Where better than in his car could a man make a truly private telephone conversation.

I could tell you some very juicy stories indeed but won't even today. I don't fancy becoming a mooring for some rich businessman's boat.

Eco Dave is correct. Listening to phones today is boring, because you never get the same two people twice and only get short snippets of the chat before the cell moves channels to a new tower and new random frequency. In fact it's really impossible now to monitor MB conversations, becasue its' so erratic and unpredictable.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 22 August 06 8:39 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
GIN51E wrote:Most are digital such as the central coast like Gosford etc except for some reason the Sydney North Shore isn't digital yet,

i remember before phones went digital you could listen in to mobile phone calls oops :wink:
I used to do that with my scanner, the novelty wore off after about a minute. You have no idea how incredibly boring people's phone conversations are until you listen in!

EcoDave :)
and often only got one side of the conversation

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 29 August 06 1:58 am

I've got to listen to it all day/night long at work. I think I'll give it a miss in my recreation time.

Never ceases to amaze me why people want to listen to us anyway???

DJ

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 29 August 06 4:49 pm

djcache wrote:I've got to listen to it all day/night long at work. I think I'll give it a miss in my recreation time.

Never ceases to amaze me why people want to listen to us anyway???

DJ
Agreed we aren't that interesting

WitchPig
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by WitchPig » 17 September 06 11:14 am

I wonder if team piggy is in the job as well?

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 30 September 06 10:38 am

Some things are funny... 0930 on a Saturday morning, Man in white tuxedo in last carriage at Lidcombe...drunk and disorderly....can you say Bucks Night???