Muggles and signing.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Horizons
500 or more caches logged

Muggles and signing.

Post by Team Horizons » 30 July 06 9:25 pm

Performed a maintenance check on one of our caches and found that there has been 5 muggles find, sign and replace my cache! One dood even came back 3 weeks later to check on it again and resign it! And one was an overseas holidayer!<P><P>

I figure that somehow it became uncovered and anyone who went for a small walk from the parking area would find it easily. The muggles not knowing just had a look through and sat it back where they found it, still uncovered. Either that or I hid it too easily :D <P><P>

I think I was lucky no kids found it, but it is nice to see there is still some decent honest people travelling around.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 30 July 06 10:03 pm

We once found a cache that had been discovered by a bunch of stoners searching for magic mushrooms. They had signed the log book (in a fashion :roll: ) and replaced the cache.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 31 July 06 2:15 pm

I think we have found about 30 odd caches over our time that have been found and replaced by muggles. All but 4 had been replaced in a good manner with a note from the muggle generally within the spirit of the game. These included innocent finders who just happened to come across it, to gardeners who have taken upon themselves to keep an eye on the cache and sign the log from time to time.

Of the four bad replacements, they have all included destruction and removal of contents along with rude/offensive notes written through what is left of the log book. The worst example contained something from a dog that is not nice to tread in. In all 4 cases, we contacted the owner who either replaced the container in a slightly different place or in one case removed it entirely.

Usually bad muggles just take the whole container so after seeing this post, I started thinking about it a little more and must admit I haven't heard of too many offensive replacements found by other cachers. With this in mind, to have been the next cacher there after 4 seperate attacks seems quite a lot. Has anyone else come across this or are we just tending to follow the hoons around?

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 31 July 06 4:18 pm

Have a look at the log entry..For "A Peek at the Geek - JAWS" GCWY8M..

The QLD police found this cache after a neighbours complaint....

All is well, the police signed the log and explaind the nature of the cache to the concerned party.

But is good to see this sort of thing happening, rather than a heavy handed approach.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 31 July 06 4:34 pm

ozzie-jeeper wrote:Have a look at the log entry..For "A Peek at the Geek - JAWS" GCWY8M..
Just another way to slow down the HawMorFords.......call the Police :P Just might catch on :twisted:

mm

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 31 July 06 4:44 pm

I canÂ’t say about my finds and muggle logs as I tend not to read the log book (my loss, I know).

Of my 25 placements I do read through the log book on maintenance visits and am aware of four caches which have been found and replaced by friendly muggles.

In one case there were several logs. I suspect cache creep of over 10m was due to these finds – but at least they tried!

In another case they took the most valuable swaps but did sign the log and re-hid the cache properly.

In the third case the muggle left a log saying they would look up the website – with what outcome unfortunately I don’t know.

In the fourth case the muggles hid the cache so well (in exactly the right spot) the next geocacher reported it as missing!

I have had one cache removed and one destroyed, I assume by muggles.

powellbruce
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by powellbruce » 31 July 06 6:07 pm

Got this email yesterday from a muggle that found one of my caches will get in touch and try and convert him in the next few days. Haven't got out to the cache yet to check on it

hi Bruce just to let you know the my girlfriend and i were walking today and found your stash, we have heard of this game but until today never played it..

we filled in the note book i left my email address on it and our names, also we left an old horse shoe and sea shells found there and last night we were at the football match at suncorp stadium in Brisbane where new Zealand beat Australia, we left a little gift from that match too....

feel free to contact us anytime and you may pass this email around..

all the best, Rob an Kath.. gympie..

drop us a line.........

Had to edit it slightly as i don't want to give any clues away to this Puzzle cache . the cache in question is AUHG
Bruce

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

muggled again

Post by If » 31 July 06 7:00 pm

In my experience, muggles finding caches seems fairly common. A cache I found today in West Alexandra Hills, Qld had a nice note from a local who had found the container. A couple of mountain top caches have more than one muggle entries, treated sort of like a visitors book :)
The good muggles seem to outnumber the bad muggles by a long way :D
(On the other hand the number of hydroponic caches found by If whilst looking for Geocaches number in the tens. I found another today :shock: The owners of these caches definitely don't have green thumbs though as I have never found a living stash. PS. treat approaching these areas with extreme caution).

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 31 July 06 8:37 pm

Our cache Spiderman (GCJPM6) apparently has more muggle finds than cachers. Since there are 30 finds, that is pretty amazing.

The cache is way out of the way, although the kids idea of an excellent hiding spot was not quite my idea.

The cache container is distinctive and the muggles all seem to think it is a groovy idea.[/url]

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 31 July 06 9:14 pm

Hey, let's reverse the practice. :)

I know of a muggle hidden cache near Inaminka (sp) and I think that geocachers should log it and put it back, just for something different. I have been given the coords by the muggle owner if anyone is travelling that way, pm me and I'll let you in on the location.

1st lady

Mr Walker
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Mr Walker » 01 August 06 12:54 pm

Generally, country muggles seem to be pretty nice. One of my caches in a very scenic spot has been found by muggles several times. All have played the game. One was removed from an attractive coastal location then replaced, once the campers realised what it was. On the other hand I have lost a few, particularly in places heavily frequented by either very young people or adolescents. Playgrounds, while good spots for family friendly caches, and among my most visited caches,do seem particularly vulnerable to loss. I have never had a muggle note in a playground cache. They just disappear.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 August 06 6:08 pm

I've had mixed experiences with muggle-found caches.

There was one in NZ where some of the local lads had put a dead seagull in the box. It was in a fairly remote seaside town and it was a few weeks before the next finder came along...

I've found notes left where muggled caches disappeared from, ranging from the boringly scatological to the downright incomprehensible. One seemed to be quite sincere in their thanks for the treasure that'd been left here for them!

The more remote and hard to get to, the more likely you are to find nice muggle notes. The sort of people who enjoy a walk in the bush in general aren't the sort of bored layabout who'll destroy something just because they can.

Caches in places where kids actually spend time, rather than just passing through, are likely to have a short lifetime unless they're either lucky or very well hidden.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 01 August 06 7:45 pm

When we found maccamob's cache Spray Fresh (GCB14B) we were surprised to see a recurring muggle recording their visits in the log book. They had good intentions and hid the cache rather well, but unfortunately picked up a travel bug which, to my knowledge, hasn't been seen since. Win some, lose some I guess.

Team Prado - WA 1968

Post by Team Prado - WA 1968 » 02 August 06 6:33 pm

I was introduced to geocaching by a guy who found a cache accidently as a muggle. He thought it was a good idea and then told me about it and the rest is history.

It would be interested to see how many of us came to the geocaching family in this manner. I think I remember reading a thread once about how we were all introduced to geocaching.

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 02 August 06 7:28 pm

Quite a few of our 2 Dog caches have been visited by muggles in the nice way and some in the not so nice(bloody awful) way.
One of the best muggle finds was by a group of Fire brigade persons at our "Wombat Stash". They left a lovely note and the next finder took photos of the log. Sadly it turned to ashes during the fire storms.
Wonderful has also had many muggles.
Only really had one cache that was badly muggled and I won't get into that. We are sure that most caches that go MIA are taken by kids but of course we can never be sure.