Helpful Hints for Newcomers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Helpful Hints for Newcomers

Post by noikmeister » 28 June 11 5:08 pm

Op Ivy wrote:
bubbles_baby123 wrote:normally if you just google the coordinates, you can get google maps to display a map in the results :)
Black Bunny wrote:If you enter loc: S35 AA.BBB E149 CC.DDD you will get the exact location and not the nearest street address
Not sure if I'm doing it right but I can only get an approximation. Degrees are right but there is some variation in minutes and/or seconds of the point marked on the map to what I typed in. Does it only come up with the nearest point that has been marked as a waypoint by someone else?
It will always give you an "A" waypoint with the nearest POI. The coordinates you entered will be indicated with a green downward-pointing arrow, sometimes off the screen depending on the zoom it chooses. So if you search for coordinates and you don't see the green arrow then just zoom out a couple of clicks and you will find it.

petals3

Post by petals3 » 31 December 11 9:36 am

Leek... Massively helpful , Thankyou for taking the time to put your list together. I have only just discoved this sport yesterday and am now on a steep learning curve.... I even asked what a muggle was! There are so many terms
/words that have completely baffled me... Maybe someone can put together a terms/words and their meanings list for us newbies :) (there may already be one... If so.. Please let me know :))

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 31 December 11 9:40 am

petals3 wrote:Leek... Massively helpful , Thankyou for taking the time to put your list together. I have only just discoved this sport yesterday and am now on a steep learning curve.... I even asked what a muggle was! There are so many terms
/words that have completely baffled me... Maybe someone can put together a terms/words and their meanings list for us newbies :) (there may already be one... If so.. Please let me know :))
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Glossary

and the slightly less serious:
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Lexicon

if you go to http://wiki.geocaching.com.au a lot of things will be explained to you about the game!

quartpotpobblebonk

Post by quartpotpobblebonk » 25 January 12 2:33 pm

Hello folks _

I"m not quiet new but over the past year I've just ambled through 40+ caches and am only just now wanting to ask lots of questions.
I've only just noticed that when I explore the Geocaching Australia website, and I click on "my" then "cacherpage" then "finds" I get a set of statistics that says I have no finds at all.

What do I need to do to rectify this?
Cheers,
quartpotpobblebonk

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 25 January 12 3:16 pm

Quartpotpobblebonk wrote:Hello folks _

I"m not quiet new but over the past year I've just ambled through 40+ caches and am only just now wanting to ask lots of questions.
I've only just noticed that when I explore the Geocaching Australia website, and I click on "my" then "cacherpage" then "finds" I get a set of statistics that says I have no finds at all.

What do I need to do to rectify this?
Cheers,
quartpotpobblebonk
You need to align your geocaching names on both sites. You have a capital Q on this site & a small q on the Groundspeak site. Quartpotpobblebonk as opposed to quartpotpobblebonk. The wiki explains how to do this viz http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Freq ... achernames

You may then have to import your finds from Groundspeak to this site & the Wiki explains this viz http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Uploading_logs

Am quite sure the faeries can explain it better.

quartpotpobblebonk

Post by quartpotpobblebonk » 25 January 12 4:06 pm

Ah! Many thanks.
So am I best to change the name on the international site or the Australian site?
(Somewhere I must have been confused _ I was sure there was a reason for the difference).

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 25 January 12 5:01 pm

Quartpotpobblebonk wrote:Ah! Many thanks.
So am I best to change the name on the international site or the Australian site?
(Somewhere I must have been confused _ I was sure there was a reason for the difference).
It is really hard to change the GC site and can take forever. It is really, really easy to change here on GCA becasue our faeries are really great guys and very helpful. Just post a message here saying what you want changed from and to and it will be done today, if not sooner :D

quartpotpobblebonk

Post by quartpotpobblebonk » 26 January 12 12:50 pm

Many, many thank, Blossom. Now I just have to find the right thread in which to ask the faeries.
This forum site is a completely different format to the only other one I have used regularly. I'm sure I'll work it all out. I'm just a wee bit slow.
Thanks to the kindness of many cachers in recent days who have helped me to reach 50 finds. I hope to be able to pass it on someday.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 26 January 12 5:52 pm

Quartpotpobblebonk wrote:Many, many thank, Blossom. Now I just have to find the right thread in which to ask the faeries.
This forum site is a completely different format to the only other one I have used regularly. I'm sure I'll work it all out. I'm just a wee bit slow.
Thanks to the kindness of many cachers in recent days who have helped me to reach 50 finds. I hope to be able to pass it on someday.
Just make a whole new topic in the General area and call it "Please change my name". The faeries will see it

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 26 January 12 5:54 pm

To change your forum or cacher name the wiki knows all.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cacher_name

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 26 January 12 6:12 pm

yes:

Post your request to change your name to the forums with the subject 'Please change my caching name from old_name to new_name'. We'll then change the ownership of your caches, logs, recommendations, planned lists, etc to your new Cacher Name.

cachefinder97
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by cachefinder97 » 22 April 12 12:29 am

blossom* wrote:
Quartpotpobblebonk wrote:Ah! Many thanks.
It is really hard to change the GC site and can take forever. It is really, really easy to change here on GCA becasue our faeries are really great guys and very helpful. Just post a message here saying what you want changed from and to and it will be done today, if not sooner :D
http://www.geocaching.com/account/editprofile.aspx

its been like that since August 2011?

bazkaz

PLEASE READ!!

Post by bazkaz » 13 May 12 11:06 am

I've stumbled across one of your box's with shit in it i'm trying to find someone who can tell me what to do next. someone help me out

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: PLEASE READ!!

Post by LouiseAnn » 13 May 12 11:18 am

bazkaz wrote:I've stumbled across one of your box's with shit in it i'm trying to find someone who can tell me what to do next. someone help me out
Do you mean there is a cache you have found with pooh in it? Or you have found a cache with 'stuff' in it?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 13 May 12 11:43 am

Hi bazkaz. :)
There's no need to use bad language on a public forum.
Thanks for reporting your find. It may be easier to re-place the box, exactly where and how you found it. Are there identifying features on or in the box like documentation of any kind, numbers (EG: GA1234) or coordinates (EG: S22 34.567 E150 12.345), name or nickname (EG: This cache is owned by ...),

Where precisely did you find it (as detailed as possible. GPS coordinates would be even better)?
Cheers. :)