Helpful Hints for Newcomers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 May 09 8:48 pm

Image is a published log. It's the first log indicating that the cache is now available for the first time.

If you hover over it you should get a tooltip or alt text for the image. If you don't get a top, let me know what browser you're using. We might have missed them.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 20 May 09 11:28 pm

Thanks.
I had tried the hover and nothing had appeared but now it does. (Firefox).
These caches date back to September 2007 but were published in Feb 09. Does that make sense? They don't sound too good from the one find.

Also how come if you hit enter to break paragraphs it doesn't seem to make a difference?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 21 May 09 12:18 am

These caches date back to September 2007 but were published in Feb 09

Looks from the cache description thay they were put out for a scout group excercise so may well have been out since 2007. You can put any "placed" date you like on a cache but the responsible thing to do would at least have made sure they were in good condition before releasing them onto the public.
Also how come if you hit enter to break paragraphs it doesn't seem to make a difference?
Your settings are enabling HTML in your posts which strips out carriage returns. Click the profile button top right of the page and change "always allow HTML" to No.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 21 May 09 12:11 pm

Thanks

for

that!
(Never seen that before on any of the other forums I frequent. One learns something every day!)

I might check out one of the caches and see if it's okay.

MADSTARS
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

How do I start a new line in the Forum reply

Post by MADSTARS » 01 June 09 10:34 pm

How do I start a new line in this message.
I try and start a new line but when I submit the message it follows on from line one.
I press enter after I finish the line but it does naught.

Cheers for the help in advance.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: How do I start a new line in the Forum reply

Post by CraigRat » 01 June 09 10:44 pm

MADSTARS wrote:How do I start a new line in this message.
I try and start a new line but when I submit the message it follows on from line one.
I press enter after I finish the line but it does naught.

Cheers for the help in advance.
See the post 2 posts above yours.

MADSTARS
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by MADSTARS » 01 June 09 11:31 pm

Thanks
For
Pointing out the bloody obvious....
I read the first few pages and then got bored...

Thanks Craig Rat

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 11 June 09 11:44 pm

Can anyone point me to that map that shows your caches that you've found and not found? Found ones are smileys on the map. I've seen it but I can't find it now. Not the flag one.
I'll bookmark it this time!

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 12 June 09 5:26 am

On GC click on the second (larger) map on any cache page. That will open up a tabbed Google map of the area around the cache you were looking at/ The map is draggable etc. and you have options to select which caches are displayed or not.

On GCA on any cache page there is a link to Google maps on the right hand side. This will open a full screen Google map in the same window.

No need to bookmark anything.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 12 June 09 10:31 am

McPhan wrote:On GC click on the second (larger) map on any cache page. That will open up a tabbed Google map of the area around the cache you were looking at/ The map is draggable etc. and you have options to select which caches are displayed or not.

On GCA on any cache page there is a link to Google maps on the right hand side. This will open a full screen Google map in the same window.

No need to bookmark anything.
Thanks - that wasn't how I found it before but it'll do, by gum!

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 02 July 09 6:48 pm

Hi to All,

I'm very new to Geocaching and am currently using a "no-name" GPS unit which is very basic. It was given me some time ago however it has helped me to find 7 caches so far. I'm really loving this activity and disappointed I couldn't get out last weekend to go and find some more. My son has become involved too so now there is quite a bit of rivalry in finding cahes. All good fun.

I have been given some advice to buy a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx unit. It appears there are three main outlets in Sydney for GPS units..... Johnny Appleseed at Strathfield, Everything GPS at Rozelle and GPSOZ at Mona Vale. I also note that Ryda.com.au have a store front at Petersham. I was wondering if there are any other outlets I should be looking at?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

Bruce

Sky Dog
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Re: Helpful Hints for Newcomers

Post by Sky Dog » 31 August 09 12:04 am

Also check out e-Bay. That's where I bought all of mine.
I bought a new Garmin 76CSx from the US. Garmin doesn't approve of this but it could cost about half what you'd pay in the shops here.

I also bought a 2nd hand Garmin 76CS from someone in Melbourne.

In both cases I had no problems. The only issue you'll have with US units is that they come with a US base map. This is not a problem if you load Oz Topo or the like because it will override the base map.

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 13 September 09 12:55 am

Where's a good place to get hold of a hard drive magnet? I obviously see them in caches everywhere, but have never come across one otherwise.

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 13 September 09 10:29 am

You might need a #10 torx driver for the two torx screws, if the drive you are taking apart has them. Or be extreme, and drill them out like the guy in the video does! Ask your local computer repairer, or family and friends, for any dead hard-drives.

Klassyangel

Post by Klassyangel » 05 October 09 11:56 pm

Hello,

As a newbie I already have a tip to offer up. When gc'ing with family make sure that 'GPS possessive' husband has put the right co-ordinates into the GPS otherwise one might end up 800 metres from the real co-ordinates and have to walk 800m back to the real co-ordinates with whiny geokids and annoyed husband. Sigh..... after all that we didn't find the cache. We had better luck the next day at a different site (after I had checked the co-ordinates. :D