Ethics of geocaching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you believe we need a geocacher's code of ethics (pertaining to our local "Australian" situation)?

YES
67%
NO
33%

Total votes: 42

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 07 January 04 10:21 pm

Quasar wrote:
As far as locationless caches go - I really like them, great fun, I particularly enjoy logging trig points - but I think that they're not geocaches and should be a seperate game entirely.

Glenn
I can't say too much but there are a few things in the works that hopefully will occur soon, Locationless and virtuals may have their own sites within the gc.com domain like the US benchmarking. Virtuals now need a WOW factor, You really need a good reason to get them through the system....

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 07 January 04 10:36 pm

I have to admit - The whole idea of caching is a stretch for a Muggles mind. They go on with the "Why bother" give you the "Super Geek" stare and "You know there nothing stopping you getting a life" stance.

Throw into the equasion explinations of Virtual and Locationless and it's usually too much for them to cope with. When explaining caching I usually gloss over types of caches until the Muggle has done at least one and seemed to have enjoyed the occasion.

I would support this move by GC to compartmentalise cace types like they have done between caching and travel bugs / benchmarks. I enjoy locationless and virtual but get a better buzz from find a real cache.

Bronze.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Re: Ethics of geocaching

Post by Slider & Smurf » 08 January 04 12:09 am

swampgecko wrote:How do you all feel about the following issues. <P>

1. Logging your own event cache?<P>

2. Logging your own cache find?<P>

3. Moving another player's cache to "more suitable location"?
<p>
I don't agree with logging your own cache, regardless of flavour ... I believe placing and finding are mutually exclusive!
<p>
Event caches with multiple hosts can still only be 'placed' by one account, so the other teams should be able to indicate their involvement by claiming a 'find' ...
<p>
Also don't agree with relocation of caches without prior consultation with the owner, or the admins if the owner can't be contacted. If there's an issue with the location, then the owner should get the courtesy of an email asking what's up first ... otherwise we may end up with accusations of cache-napping and a whole bunch of geolitter - doesn't do much for the game's image.
<p>
IMHO, of course :wink:

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 08 January 04 12:13 pm

Pesky! wrote:Phew! Lucky this was his short reply. I dont think I have the bandwidth to cater for any diatribes from Tolmh!
Sorry - next time I'll try to keep it to 'LOL - 37h1|<5 is teh suck d00d' for those with short attention spans. :wink:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 08 January 04 12:34 pm

Tolmh,

I think Pesky is just pulling your chain. The forum is here for discussion. Can't speak for others but I for one appreciate a well considered opinion with a little humor thrown in for good measure. If the length bother me I just skim it or skip it altogether.

Keep up the great posts.

Bronze.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 09 January 04 10:39 am

Bronze wrote:I think Pesky is just pulling your chain.
I know - that's why I put the winky smiley in!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 10 January 04 3:20 pm

:roll: Who... :roll:

Hypnothearapy works for me - wiped him from my conscience. No more delusions or winged monkeys swooping me just before a find.

Bronze.

alex
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 11 January 04 12:50 am

I agree with Tolmh on the guidelnes question. I also feel that a newbie would be deterred from participating if the first contact involved an extensive screed of dos and don'ts.

Event caches. By all means log your attendance at all event caches you attend. The point of the event is to attend, the fact you organised it is irrelevant.

No you can't log your own caches as finds, even locationless and travellers.

And no, you should not move a cache. Except perhaps, to avoid a definite personal danger.

And thats my view, :?

alex

Post by alex » 11 January 04 12:50 am

I agree with Tolmh on the guidelnes question. I also feel that a newbie would be deterred from participating if the first contact involved an extensive screed of dos and don'ts.

Event caches. By all means log your attendance at all event caches you attend. The point of the event is to attend, the fact you organised it is irrelevant.

No you can't log your own caches as finds, even locationless and travellers.

And no, you should not move a cache. Except perhaps, to avoid a definite personal danger.

And thats my view, :?

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 22 January 04 5:44 pm

Point 1 (events cache): You get credit for organising an event cache in your profile section, so why should you also get an extra one - unless of course you are 'numbers driven'. If it's a joint one (ie. a number of cachers organise the event) could it be set you a consortium (eg. Beni trophy event by Dubbo Cachers)?

Point 2 (logging own): No way. I've always considered that a sin! :shock: I have helped my sister set two in Melbourne, and although I know where they are, I won't be logging them. If you come up with a great idea then you should feel the credit when you see the Mine-> symbol next to it. Finding locationless caches??? I think I'm swayed towards thinking this is the only exception (That's the trig being an example).

Point 3 (moving caches): situation dependant. If there is a problem with the cache (eg. it's drowning) I'll move it and notify the owner ASAP. Otherwise I usually send a private email to suggest better placement.

Spartan

Post by Spartan » 23 January 04 2:20 pm

I am very new to Geocashing<b> (BUT).</b>
<br>
I was of the opinion that this was a great way that i could spend some time with my family and do something that was fun for the kids to do and get some goodies.
<br>
I can see that some people would want to compete against others in the way that "I have found more than you na na na"
<br>
but isnÂ’t this just a good outing for all and some fun in meeting good people with a similar interest.
<br>
If someone wants to go to the trouble of placing a cache then they should get some credit and why not let them get a found for there trouble as it would take a bit of effort and thought in doing so.
<br><b>
(Where would we all be if no one hid any ??)</b>
<br>
This is a great way of finding places that you wouldnÂ’t otherwise see and getting out with family and friends.
<br>
LetÂ’s keep it that way with only common sense rules like leave it like you found it or better if some maintenance was needed, and donÂ’t down grade people or bad mouth them. <b><u>KEEP IT FUN.</u> </b> :D

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 January 04 3:13 pm

There was a case here in Christchurch recently of a new caching team who took offense at something that was said on the local discussion forum, and went through and edited all their logs back to a single, uninformative line.

One placer took them to task on this, and ended up deleting their finds on all his caches, after some discussion with the Powers That Be.

The point is that we place caches so we can see what our peers think of them and, as finders, we have a responsibility to fulfil that role to some degree.

Sure, the numbers are a way of keeping track of experience and can add some spice, but if each number didn't count an experience, we'd find some other game in which to create a personal scorecard.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 23 January 04 4:09 pm

Spartan wrote:If someone wants to go to the trouble of placing a cache then they should get some credit and why not let them get a found for there trouble as it would take a bit of effort and thought in doing so.
<br>
(Where would we all be if no one hid any ??)
The 'credit' for placing a cache comes from having your name on it's description page, from seeing the logs of all the visitors to your cache, from the red 'mine' arrow on state cache listings etc, and from the 'list of items owned' numbers on your profile 'user stats' page on GC.com.<br>
Not so long ago, Dan Miller ran a very popular geocaching stats site in the US which included among other things, 'found', 'hidden' and 'total' tallies for each cacher, with cachers ranked in order of total. That meant that those who 'found' their own caches got two points in their total, not just one. I suspect this is just one more reason why claiming a find on your own cache became frowned upon.<br>
I agree with the point about the future of geocaching being dependent on people placing caches. We try to keep up a reasonable (to us) found to hidden ratio for that very reason. For us, it's a way of trying to put something back in to an activity that has given us a lot of enjoyment over the last couple of years.