Ethics of geocaching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you believe we need a geocacher's code of ethics (pertaining to our local "Australian" situation)?

YES
67%
NO
33%

Total votes: 42

Jedda

Personally I dont get the whole

Post by Jedda » 31 January 04 10:32 pm

numbers competition going on over in the US, and the problems that arise from it, but I can see it is important for some so heres the thing, a cacher who plants caches in their area is providing a benefit to other cachers in the area by allowing them to build up their own numbers but the planter gets nothing in return. So surely if it is important to the hider, they deserve the extra count added to their total for putting in the extra effort in the first place. I dont log my own caches as finds as Im not really worried about that side of the sport, but if someone thinks it is unfair if a hidder of a few hundred caches were to claim them all as finds, maybe they should consider the extra effort the hidder had to go through to get the extra find counts. I dont think we have the same problem here in australia with malicious cheating etc that is the cause of all the fuss, but even if there are, at the end of the day who seriously cares?, the only people who will be impressed are other cachers, and until they personally meet other cachers, it still will not really matter, as non cachers will just call them a nerd, and real cachers will not take long to discover the cheater. All I care about as a cacher is seeing new places and meeting the occasional fellow cacher, and showing non cachers what the fuss is about, and the counter is for my personal use

rav 4 raiders
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by rav 4 raiders » 01 February 04 10:05 pm

1. Logging your own event cache?
No you should do this out of the goodeness of your heart.

2. Logging your own cache find?
Never - as per previous cachers - I agree this is a cardinal sin.

3. Moving another player's cache to "more suitable location"?
Only if it is broken - construction work is being undertaken - so in short only if the cache is in jeopardy - otherwise a quick mail to the owner should resolve this - it is up to them than as to is they want to maintain the cache, move it or disable it.

In regards to setting up caches - I can't understand those that don't set up a few. I know some of mine may not have been imaginative in the beginning but once you see people visiting it spurns you on to testing them further. I think I love this as much as the hunt - it just takes more energy and brain cells - sparky