OT: What can i do with a Satellite Dish?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

OT: What can i do with a Satellite Dish?

Post by GIN51E » 13 July 06 12:05 pm

Well i have a Foxtel Satellite Dish sitting ontop of the house but no longer have a Foxtel set top box, so is there anything i can do with this Dish can i aim it somewhere else in the sky and pick something interesting up? what can i use it for?

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 13 July 06 12:17 pm

Suggestion #1: go up on your roof, put some large headphones on, and point it at your neighbours. If you see them noticing you, just smile broadly, nod your head in a knowing way, and wink.<P>Suggestion #2: Bring it with you to Tassie next time, and sit in that little park at the end of Swanston Street, New Town with it. As cars go past on Risdon Road, pretend you are listening in our their phone conversations.<P>Suggestion #3: Bring it with you to Tassie next time, stick your holiday cache on it, and just put it somewhere really obvious at the hockey grounds or Cornelian Bay - a quick hide, but you won't have to resort to Coles again (and peole who have already scored it there can hunt it. . . :wink: )

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 13 July 06 12:32 pm

Strip all the paint off the dish, send me the LNB, build a new outdoor feature with a fireplace, mount the dish horizontally over the fireplace and...

light the fire. Season the dish with some oil/butter, prep some strips of beef and a few veges - You now have your own outdoor WOK! :twisted:

go to lyngsat.com, select Asia digital and K band (or Ka or Ku), start swinging (only a little at a time). NOTE: you will need a satellite receiver other than a Foxtel / Austar box that can be manually programmed via the remote. If you try to use FT/oz* box, you wont get anything.

Happy hunting!

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 13 July 06 12:45 pm

You could also sit in it behind your ski boat... 8)

Or wear it on your head to shield you from the alien's transmissions... :wink:

Paint it gold and put it on a chain around your neck. Won't the homeboys be jealous when they see the size of your bling... :roll:

Snuva
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 13 July 06 12:48 pm

Or invert it, attach an umbrella handle to it, and become a cult figure (what the hell, GIN51E's ginger as well! :wink: ).

Geof

Post by Geof » 13 July 06 1:15 pm

There's a bit of free to air stuff on Optus B3.
http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb3.html -

Also some stuff on Optus B1 but that dish will probebly be to small.

It will be pointed at Optus C1 currently. Not much FTA exept Foxtel hard sell channel and home shoping (would you like a free set of stake knives with that :twisted: ) There are a few FTA radio channels on optus C1 such as Radio2, UCB, arrow, & sport927.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 13 July 06 5:59 pm

All very good ideas far to hard to choose just one,

Sorry Snuva but didn't have much time last visit, hopefully in January i will be able to hide it in a new location, was thinking of outside your house but according to the Google Cacher feed you are on a house boat or something? which might make it a little hard. :D

in order to pick up any channels with it even if free to air channels you would need some type of decoder or something wouldn't you? i doubt you could just plug it straight into the tv?

Geof

Post by Geof » 13 July 06 6:28 pm

Gin51 wrote:in order to pick up any channels with it even if free to air channels you would need some type of decoder or something wouldn't you? i doubt you could just plug it straight into the tv?
Yep a FTA Digital Satellite receiver for free to air or if you want to shell out for pay services one with a the relivant conditional access modual (or imbeded cam), card slot & card from the provider.

If you live out of the terestrial broadcast area you can get an Aurora card for a one off payment or a six month one if caravaning.

Rallywrxwagon
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Rallywrxwagon » 13 July 06 9:31 pm

Forget it's there. You're supposed to be outside caching or mowing the lawn anyway.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 14 July 06 8:47 am

<P>or<P>

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 14 July 06 4:20 pm

I am in the process of trying to get free to air useing the dish from foxtel they realy make it hard to get the card switched on so far I am up to the 4th set of paperwork/forms that is with the local installer on my side as free to air teristial is very poor in my area as they biase the signal the other way (towards tamworth) :cry:

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 14 July 06 4:29 pm

Postman Pat wrote:I am in the process of trying to get free to air useing the dish from foxtel they realy make it hard to get the card switched on so far I am up to the 4th set of paperwork/forms that is with the local installer on my side as free to air teristial is very poor in my area as they biase the signal the other way (towards tamworth) :cry:
Tonight is friday night, so im sure that if you head down to your local pub, that there will be some dodgy guy down there that will sell you a card,and receiver :D and for $5 more they will probably include foxtel/optus as well :!:

Postman Pat

Post by Postman Pat » 14 July 06 4:32 pm

Know most of the people at the pub as my village has only 3500 people and most are farmers :lol: doing it tough but on the up side thet are predicting 50mm of rain this weekend :lol: yeehaa :P and yes I am, working on option B :wink:

cruzzzinaround
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

sat tv, dishes ,woks ,and tv channels ,free to air, paid

Post by cruzzzinaround » 14 July 06 6:00 pm

http://www.austech.info/index.php?
check out the satellite tv section ,,

also here is the cheaper version of austar
http://www.selectv.com/
hasnt been out long but seems ligit

Grab yourself a humax 5400z {irdeto encrytion} off ebay a card from select tv. Moove the dish to PAS 8 (looking north pas 8 is at about 2 oclock )on the clark orbit .

http://www.selectv.com/equipment/dish.htm

Also there is optus arura cards are about $100 no monthley fees but depends were you are is how many stations you are entitled to.

lyngsat.com lists all the channels that each satellite sends, the encrypted transmissions are listed ,as well as the free to air stations.
Most free to air are in C band while you have a KU band lnbf (the thingy in the front of the dish) you need the proper lnbf to pick up each band

To moove the dish is quiet easy but remember when you moove it you are following the curve of the earth there for you will have to moove it to the east and tilt it and down a little

Also the lnbf will have to be rotated a ,in the holder on the dish

hope this helps you out a little

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: sat tv, dishes ,woks ,and tv channels ,free to air, paid

Post by GIN51E » 14 July 06 7:26 pm

cruzzzinaround wrote:http://www.austech.info/index.php?
check out the satellite tv section ,,

also here is the cheaper version of austar
http://www.selectv.com/
hasnt been out long but seems ligit

Grab yourself a humax 5400z {irdeto encrytion} off ebay a card from select tv. Moove the dish to PAS 8 (looking north pas 8 is at about 2 oclock )on the clark orbit .

http://www.selectv.com/equipment/dish.htm

Also there is optus arura cards are about $100 no monthley fees but depends were you are is how many stations you are entitled to.

lyngsat.com lists all the channels that each satellite sends, the encrypted transmissions are listed ,as well as the free to air stations.
Most free to air are in C band while you have a KU band lnbf (the thingy in the front of the dish) you need the proper lnbf to pick up each band

To moove the dish is quiet easy but remember when you moove it you are following the curve of the earth there for you will have to moove it to the east and tilt it and down a little

Also the lnbf will have to be rotated a ,in the holder on the dish

hope this helps you out a little
:shock:

Its like learning a new language, thanks cruzzzinaround i'll have a look into it.