Australian and New Zealand Trig Points as Waymarks?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Australian and New Zealand Trig Points as Waymarks?

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 10:48 am

Hi

As it seems that this locationless cache has not gone over to Waymarking I am considering, once my current proposal for Long-distance Walking Trails is either up or killed off, to look to develop a Waymark category for Australian and possibly New Zealand Trig points.

I appreciate that that there have been some negative comments about Waymarking or taking this locationless cache to Waymarking but I think it is an idea at least worth considering.

The advantage as I see it of Waymarking trig points is that an individual can initally locate and waymark the trig point. Now under the locationless caching rules that would the end of the trig point as such, i.e., no one else can log it, but under Waymarking, whilst a second waymark would not be possible, others can log visiting your waymark, i.e., others can log visiting the same trig point.

Therefore those trig points in great areas, e.g., good views, interesting climbs etc can be revisited, the new finders can log their experience and the waymark owner gets the pleasure of sharing what they found.

The first step to creating this Waymark category is to create a group. If there is sufficent interst [two others] I can easily create a group. From there we can move to define the category, logging requirements [for creating a waymark] and logging requirements [for logging a visit to an existing waymark].

I open to contributions on how to move this forward, suggestions on logging requirements etc.

Regards
Andrew

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 21 June 06 5:04 pm

How about contacting the original cache owners with regards to collabarating on a GCA setup for these 8)

mm

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 21 June 06 7:15 pm

I would sooo love that!

!mike

Post by !mike » 21 June 06 8:56 pm

I found the explanation a bit confusing - perhaps because of the use of two terms:
Waymarking and Locationless

I think you are saying that trigpoints would be logged just like we log a physical cache.
If I can find the trigpoint I can log it as a find, and so can everyone else who finds it. Is that correct?

I know there are some "caches" that can only be logged once, and once it has been "found" no one else can log it. I think I saw something about lighthouses somewhere.
I thought that was just plain silly!

Since trig points are by definition placed on hills etc. it sounds a great idea to get lots of people visiting a trig point which has a great view.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 11:34 pm

map monkey wrote:How about contacting the original cache owners with regards to collabarating on a GCA setup for these 8)
mm
That option is still out there, but the orginal cache owner has had plenty of time to do something. The proposal here is for Waymarking, it does not stop it becoming a GCA cache in some form.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 06 11:37 pm

!mike wrote:I found the explanation a bit confusing - perhaps because of the use of two terms:
Waymarking and Locationless
Locationless is the old type of cache format, no longer allowed at Geocaching.com. Waymarking, see http://waymarking.com is the "replacement."
I think you are saying that trigpoints would be logged just like we log a physical cache.
If I can find the trigpoint I can log it as a find, and so can everyone else who finds it. Is that correct?
Sort of. The first finder would create waymark in the waymark category at http://waymarking.com. Subsquent finders would log a visit at http://waymarking.com
I know there are some "caches" that can only be logged once, and once it has been "found" no one else can log it. I think I saw something about lighthouses somewhere. I thought that was just plain silly!
Waymarking works a bit diferently in that waymarks can be logged repeatedly, in fact the idea is to attrack people to your waymark so to speak.
Since trig points are by definition placed on hills etc. it sounds a great idea to get lots of people visiting a trig point which has a great view.
Glad you like the idea.

Regards
Andrew

!mike

Post by !mike » 22 June 06 11:33 am

Thanks Andrew - I now LOVE the idea.

Someone please make it happen.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 22 June 06 11:46 am

!mike wrote:Thanks Andrew - I now LOVE the idea.

Someone please make it happen.

Thanks. The process will likley be started next week, just finalising the proces now for starting another category about Long-Distance Hiking Trails.

It would be nice if interested local premium members joined the management group when it is created as officers, rather than having it run mainly by Americans. Will post the link here for the group formation in due course.

Regards
Andrew

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 22 June 06 11:50 am

Is there a public access database on the location of trig points/markers etc. :?:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 22 June 06 12:51 pm

Riblet has a Google Earth file for them:
http://geocaching.riblit.net/waypoints/

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 22 June 06 4:56 pm

zactyl wrote:Riblet has a Google Earth file for them:
http://geocaching.riblit.net/waypoints/
That's a NSW file. I have some bits and pieces for other states.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 22 June 06 5:16 pm

I have some ACT ones, some trig and some survey marker..

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 June 06 7:26 pm

If you download all the 250k topo maps from Geoscience in Arcview Shape file you could get the hole lot for Australia. There is 500+ maps to download and the layer that you will find the data in "Map Numbery_p.shp The map no. is different for each map but the y_p.shp is the same. In that layer it may not only have the Trigs but may also have bench marks included.

Dooghan

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 22 June 06 7:44 pm

Dooghan wrote:If you download all the 250k topo maps from Geoscience in Arcview Shape file you could get the hole lot for Australia. There is 500+ maps to download and the layer that you will find the data in "Map Numbery_p.shp The map no. is different for each map but the y_p.shp is the same. In that layer it may not only have the Trigs but may also have bench marks included.

Dooghan
I have these files in MapInfo format and just looked at a few tiles and found that quite a few have no information for the trig but all are called trig station.

Do people need the name as well as the point or just knowing the point will do.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 28 June 06 6:14 pm

G'day

I have now established the group to manage the eventual Waymarking category. The first part in the process of establishing a waymarking category is to establish the group. The group needs a minimum of three officers before it can proceed to the next stage. Interested premium members are invited to join the management group, Australian Trig Points. Once we have three officers we can proceed to the next stage.

Details on the role as an officer can be found in the Group Mangement FAQ.

Regards
Andrew