Geo Coins

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 August 06 12:43 pm

Hi Forthferalz

I think this is a good idea. Unfortunately I actually joined the club a week or so ago so will not be able to jump in this time round.

Andrew

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 August 06 7:42 pm

And we joined the club ourselves about two weeks ago! I thought that it would be a easy way to get hold of some coins - and I really liked the October dragon coin!

Our subscription is a six month subscription - I was going to re-evaluate after then. So unfortunately we are in the same boat as Andrew - not this time for us.

Jacinta (& Robert, who doesn't really know quite how much money I have spent already on nice shiney coins :shock: )

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 16 August 06 10:06 pm

How about I talk to the GCC - they haven't shipped you guys anything yet and I know some folk.....

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 17 August 06 12:59 am

Hi

I don't have a problem with you touching base with them.

Andrew

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 17 August 06 8:43 am

By all means have a chat to them on our behalf as well. Thanks for taking this and running with it. I am happy to work in with others to acheive a cost saving for us all.

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 17 August 06 10:51 am

ok enquiry sent to Rusty of GCC - but we need one other taker then the last coin set is a freebie ?game prize

landsharkz

Post by landsharkz » 17 August 06 2:57 pm

Hello from Canada :) .

May we suggest that with the current exchange rate, you might be able to get coins to Australia for less money if you buy from a Canadian coin retailer. I guess I'm blowing our own horn, but this is FYI and perhaps your Australian dollar would go farther in Canada. We don't have a super selection right now, but we offer affordable coins and also affordable shipping. We charge $4.00 flat rate, plus 50cents per coin to anywhere in the world. On shipping, we win some we lose some and it all comes out fine in the end :lol: .
We'd be willing to sell to a group to help you save on shipping costs if you can work that out. Also, we manufacture coins, so please keep us in mind if you want any trackable or non trackable coins made. We've just been approached by the mint in China to put one of our coins in their upcoming catalogue and to use another of our coins to send to customers as a sample of their work. We're relatively new at designing geocoins, but we're experienced graphic design professionals and this certainly helps get great results from the mint for our customers. We have a couple of customers in Australia and so far we've had very positive feedback from them. Thank you for your time. Helen
http://www.landsharkz.ca/coin-gallery.htm

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 17 August 06 6:45 pm

ok I heard back from Ben Fogt and GCC are willing to refund and start over. We need two more to go ahead with 3 month oct/nov/dec 5 person sub (or does someone want two coin sets? ) You'll not get September coin unless it turns up in the members only overstock store later ( which is pretty certain).

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 17 August 06 7:28 pm

Well we are on a two coin per month plan for 6 months anyway. I don't mind if I take the last coin available as I was planning to set them free anyway. That is, unless they become Precious to me *adopts Gollum like pose*.

Do the GCC people need our subscription numbers for refunds, amalgamations of accounts etc etc? I can forward my details privately if so.

<edited to insert missing word>

forthferalz

Post by forthferalz » 17 August 06 8:18 pm

pm sent

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 18 August 06 12:07 am

landsharkz wrote:Hello from Canada :) . May we suggest that with the current exchange rate, you might be able to get coins to Australia for less money if you buy from a Canadian coin retailer.
Singed up to your newsletter.

Andrew

jellis50
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by jellis50 » 16 November 06 8:21 am

I know this is a late reply. But I have a idea for not losing geocoins in caches. I ran across a cacher who had a geocoin they did not want to lose. So they made a digital copy of the coin and laminated it. Put the tracking # on it and put that in the caches. That way it is still traveling and being tracked without physically leaving the cacher's collection.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 November 06 9:32 am

jellis50 wrote:I know this is a late reply. But I have a idea for not losing geocoins in caches. I ran across a cacher who had a geocoin they did not want to lose. So they made a digital copy of the coin and laminated it. Put the tracking # on it and put that in the caches. That way it is still traveling and being tracked without physically leaving the cacher's collection.
How awful if that happened here.

This has been debated to death on the other forums. For mine, if I came across a copy of a geocoin in a cache I would be so disappointed that I would probably ignore it.

Geocoins going missing is part of the game - we are lucky here in Australia that coins tend not to go missing as regularly as they do in other parts of the world. I can only hope that the idea of putting copies in caches does not take off.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 16 November 06 9:45 am

Team Falling Numerals wrote:
jellis50 wrote:I know this is a late reply. But I have a idea for not losing geocoins in caches. I ran across a cacher who had a geocoin they did not want to lose. So they made a digital copy of the coin and laminated it. Put the tracking # on it and put that in the caches. That way it is still traveling and being tracked without physically leaving the cacher's collection.
How awful if that happened here.

This has been debated to death on the other forums.
… and that debate makes for interesting reading – much gnashing of teeth, jumping up and down, and flames of various sorts going to and fro. :shock:

While there are a few in favour of the idea the majority is clearly against.

Finding a copy of a geocoin in a cache is OK only for an icon hunter.
Compared to finding a real coin itÂ’s a bit like (add you own comparison here) :wink:

I join the plea to keep this idea out of Oz – I want to find a real coin if one appears to be in a cache.
I mean who wants to find a piece of plastic with a picture stuck in it, for Â….. sake. :evil:

Oh by the way, IÂ’m against the idea, if this isnÂ’t clear from what IÂ’ve said. :)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 November 06 9:46 am

100% back Team Falling Numerals posting (only because when previewing mine, i saw they had said the same thing) .....

Australia is generally much safer than the US for geocoins, not saying that they still don't disappear though, just not at the same rate. I can say that i have no concerns with releasing a geocoin with the current cachers in Australia. They are by-and-large a decent bunch of guys and we don't seem to have the same issues as in the US....let's keep it that way Image

I would be highly dissapointed to see a geocoin appear in one of my caches only to find it was a fake. A geocoin is just that, a coin.

mm