Geo Coins

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
madmyers
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Geo Coins

Post by madmyers » 15 June 06 8:09 pm

Righto - you are know what Geo Coins are but being a newbie of only 29 finds - we DON'T!!!! We are addicted to geo caching but the kids keep seeing a symbol for a coin - we know they are Geo coins. But where on earth do you all get them from? We hope to run across one very very soon somewhere out there. But was wondering where you get them from and do you release them like Travel Bugs?

Team Seedsman
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Team Seedsman » 15 June 06 8:44 pm

It seems like you can get them just about anywhere at the moment. GeoCoins are the trend within the GeoCaching trend. Do a Google or Ebay search and you'll see what I mean.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 15 June 06 9:33 pm

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 25 June 06 3:47 pm

The problem with Geocoins seems to be that they are very susceptible to Geotheft. We went out to find a cache that was flagged as containing a Geocoin only to find that within 24 hours of it being placed in the cache it had gone missing from the cache with no log left by the Geothief who removed the coins; Very sad :evil:
<P>
The log showed the coins being dropped of at about 17:10, the next visitor less than 24 hours latter reported that no coins were to be found.

madmyers
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by madmyers » 26 June 06 2:06 pm

The coins do seem to be nabbed pretty quickly. I have never seen one yet but am only new to this wonderful past time. I did ask where to get them from and someone said to look at Ebay - which I did but most still seem to be in the USA. Is there any where in Australia that they can be ordered from or bought from?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 26 June 06 2:18 pm

madmyers wrote: Is there any where in Australia that they can be ordered from or bought from?
Not that i know of :cry:
However :shock: ..............since you seem rather interested in obtaining a geocoin, send me your mailing address to andrew@jaiper.com and i will send you one of my unactivated Australian Geocoins, vintage 2006 (the best year i am lead to believe :wink: ). Can't have a keen Queenslander missing out on the action, can we :P

You may want to release it in time for the G-Olympics :twisted:

BTW....no charge 8)

mm

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 26 June 06 5:09 pm

Biggles Bear wrote:The problem with Geocoins seems to be that they are very susceptible to Geotheft.
<p> I bought five trackable ones via ADAcache but they are so nice and there are getting so many instances of them getting stolen, I have not yet set them free. The longer time goes on, the worse it seems to get and the less inclined I am to release them.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 26 June 06 7:42 pm

Rabbitto wrote:
Biggles Bear wrote:The problem with Geocoins seems to be that they are very susceptible to Geotheft.
<p> I bought five trackable ones via ADAcache but they are so nice and there are getting so many instances of them getting stolen, I have not yet set them free. The longer time goes on, the worse it seems to get and the less inclined I am to release them.
This really is a tricky one, isnÂ’t it?

Does not releasing them mean being realistic but letting the bastards win, or does releasing them reveal you to be a starry-eyed sucker?

The first geocoins I released I just put inside a plastic flip with a request to keep them moving.
I was subsequently sent some (activated) coins from a cacher in the UK to release here and these coins had been devalued to thieves by having a hole drilled in them.
I now do the same. ItÂ’s still too early to assess whether this makes any difference.

I hope geocoin theft isnÂ’t another unwelcome thing weÂ’ll inherit from the Yanks.
The following is extracted from the Groundspeak forum on Geocoin theft
“Australia and New Zealand are very good places [for geocoins to not be stolen], as well [as Europe]. I think that this might say something about Americans that we don't want to hear, but really need to.Ââ€

belken

Post by belken » 26 June 06 8:50 pm

http://members.cox.net/teamai/index.shtml

For those interested in Geocoins the above website will give you most of the details you need to part with your money. Towards the bottom of the page there is a list of sites that have gecoins for sale.

E-bay is the bastion of the ignorant or the desparate. I would only use that once you know what you are after and know that it cannot be had elsewhere.

I do have coins that I have on hand for trading. My current trade list is here http://geocoincollection.com/cointrade/ ... &owner=197 If you search around this site it will give you an idea of the coins available. If anyone is interested in coins on my trade list then I am sure I can convert them intro $'s. The cost of coins is about $14-$16 AUd.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 26 June 06 9:16 pm

Here's a thought - what if I released one of the gold untrackables engraved with the code of one of my trackables and kept that at home?

So it's still a real geocoin.

Thoughts?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 June 06 9:50 pm

The untrackables are probably worth more than the real ones as there were less minted, yes?

acts2youthgroup

Post by acts2youthgroup » 26 June 06 10:26 pm

belken wrote:http://members.cox.net/teamai/index.shtml

For those interested in Geocoins the above website will give you most of the details you need to part with your money. Towards the bottom of the page there is a list of sites that have gecoins for sale.

E-bay is the bastion of the ignorant or the desparate. I would only use that once you know what you are after and know that it cannot be had elsewhere.

I do have coins that I have on hand for trading. My current trade list is here http://geocoincollection.com/cointrade/ ... &owner=197 If you search around this site it will give you an idea of the coins available. If anyone is interested in coins on my trade list then I am sure I can convert them intro $'s. The cost of coins is about $14-$16 AUd.
I still dont know how to pay you for the coins you sent, can you please tell me where to send cheque, cash or if I direct deposit the money.

Eric

tank47
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by tank47 » 29 June 06 10:03 am

I have retrieved "South African Geocoin 310" from "[Next!] ROWVILLE GUARD TROLL" placed by "Scooters Mob" and I will be placing it into another cache for the FtF requirement. It was not on the inventory list, has this coin a track log? :? :? if it has how do I get to it. I believe the track log is what would justify the requirement for FtF, or do you just take my word. 8) 8) 8)

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 29 June 06 5:08 pm

Just checked a couple of caches and found that there are two more missing Geocins :evil: Got Gas? and GeoJim's Generic Geocoin neither was in the cache it was logged into. Some one in Melbourne is building up quite a collection of geocoins.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 29 June 06 5:42 pm

Biggles Bear wrote:Just checked a couple of caches and found that there are two more missing Geocins :evil: Got Gas? and GeoJim's Generic Geocoin neither was in the cache it was logged into. Some one in Melbourne is building up quite a collection of geocoins.
Andd people asked me why I didn't get into the geocoin buy.

If it is an aussie cacher, then it's a real pity that they won't be able to show off their "collection" then. On the other hand there may also be a visiting overseas cacher who has decided to take up collecting geocoins, might pay to keep an eye on ebay for a while and see if they appear there as well.