one way to stop theft of your coin

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
zigolphin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

one way to stop theft of your coin

Post by zigolphin » 13 June 06 5:48 pm

was trawling gc and found this thread, a bit out of the ordinary.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... 135198&hl=

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 13 June 06 8:17 pm

Well another thread they had there was "do you carry when Caching" asking how many people take a gun with them. The people that did seemed to be worried about Snakes and stumbling on Meth Labs in the woods. :roll:

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 13 June 06 8:21 pm

Ahhhh!!! Seppos and guns - you gotta love it. Seriously though, why would ANYONE purchase, make or otherwise get a geocoin just to blast it away? I suppose there are plenty of "Good Ol' Boys" out there now just itching to prove you can put 3 bullets through a coin or see how many shotgun pellet indentations you can count, or ..... <P>

Hey Bronze - isn't this where Dubbo comes in? :twisted: :twisted:

!mike

Post by !mike » 13 June 06 11:36 pm

Someone asked "how thick would it have to be" and my instant thought was "about as thick as the person asking the question" but I thought if I said that and ever visited yank land (God forbid) I might be in the firing line...

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 13 June 06 11:42 pm

!mike wrote:Someone asked "how thick would it have to be" and my instant thought was "about as thick as the person asking the question" but I thought if I said that and ever visited yank land (God forbid) I might be in the firing line...
Their crime statistics indicate that you don't have to upset anyone to be in the firing line.

pprass

Post by pprass » 14 June 06 2:41 pm

Damo. wrote:Well another thread they had there was "(what) do you carry when Caching" asking how many people take a gun with them.
I loved that thread :D :D

One guy said that if he was to be confronted by a cougar in the mountains, he would rather have a gun in his hand than a GPS!! :D :D :)

I guess in Aussie land we don't have the same kind of animal threats - unless a wombat sneeks up onya and goes for the throat.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 14 June 06 4:42 pm

pprass wrote:
Damo. wrote:Well another thread they had there was "(what) do you carry when Caching" asking how many people take a gun with them.
I loved that thread :D :D

One guy said that if he was to be confronted by a cougar in the mountains, he would rather have a gun in his hand than a GPS!! :D :D :)

I guess in Aussie land we don't have the same kind of animal threats - unless a wombat sneeks up onya and goes for the throat.
Depends on what part of Aus you are in, I was always very careful when fishing in the tropics, those big old nasty swampgeckos(crocs) have a mean bite.... and a .303 rifle would make a nice backup to the GPS

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 14 June 06 4:57 pm

I've got enough cr@p in the cache bag as is, the last thing i need is a gun.<br> Unless of course that gun is also a GPS, PDA, Phone, Camera and has wireless net...in which case, hook me up.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 14 June 06 7:14 pm

pprass wrote:
<p>I disagree. Carrying a GPS would be most handy if attacked by a wild animal. You just have to carry it really, really fast.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 14 June 06 7:25 pm

The following is a recent (not found!) uneditted log from a cache in the US I have a watch on:

"Gladly to take this upside down, had figured the puzzle out awhile back and was just waiting for when we were in the area. When I got to the parking area I had it to myself, just figured I would slip in and get a quick one. But I was wrong, when I got within just over 200 ft. something told me to look back. That's when I spotted the crack heads from the hood trying to slip up on me. They were up to no good, not dressed for the area if you know what I mean. They had spotted someone alone from out of town and figured they would get a quick one, but that's where they were wrong. I put my bag down and got my buddy out, they seen this and stopped, then it became a waiting game. Finally they turned and went back to the parking area and it was another waiting game. I was so nervous that my mouth had went dry, luckily someone pulled up across the way and I made my way back. When I got back it was exactly as I thought a bunch of punks from the hood, there was no confrontation thanks to whoever it was that had pulled up or what I had in my hand.
From looking at the logs this is a safe cache, this was just bad luck and bad judgment own my part DON'T CACHE ALONE !!!!"

Do you take your buddy (translation anyone?) with you when you are caching? :shock:

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 14 June 06 9:19 pm

.... DON'T CACHE ALONE !!!!"
<p>
Good advice, not only for "not so nice neighbourhoods" :!: , but also if you are being chased by a wild animal...... then you don't have to run faster than the animal, only faster than your mate :wink:

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 14 June 06 9:45 pm

Bunya wrote:crack heads from the hood
<br>
What, was he caching in Harlem or something??
<p>calm down i'm only making a point

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 15 June 06 10:58 am

sc00t wrote:
Bunya wrote:crack heads from the hood
<br>
What, was he caching in Harlem or something??
<p>
He was in Georgia.<br>
This is the cache<br> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... e9ac51df08

!mike

Post by !mike » 15 June 06 11:09 am

Bunya wrote: Do you take your buddy (translation anyone?)
Thats an easy one... He held up a photo of George Bush :lol:

Enough to scare anyone...

Team Seedsman
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Team Seedsman » 15 June 06 8:57 pm

So anyway...In relation to the original topic, which had caught my attention. I'd welcome any suggestions as I recently had 4 stolen in the space of a week. :cry: