Shonky Geo Phonelist for PDAs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found

Shonky Geo Phonelist for PDAs

Post by shonkylogic » 06 March 06 9:02 pm

I notice that 292 cachers have published their mobile phone number in their GCA profiles. Using the member list, I've been able to extract these and put them into a spreadsheet which I've downloaded to my PDA. The same PDA that runs GPX Sonar while caching :) <p>

My motivation was that when I'm really stuck finding a cache I can call the owner from the site for a hint if they happen to be on the list. I haven't needed to use it too much lately (touch wood), but a number of other cachers have shown an interest in having this data. <p>

Are there privacy implications here? Is anybody else interested in the data? Does anybody object to others calling them if they've published their number? <p>

If there's enough interest and nobody has any violent objections I'd be happy to put it up on the web somewhere for others to use. Or perhaps the GCA site could be extended to be able to download a file such as this - perhaps in PDF format? (hint hint). <p>

roostaman
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by roostaman » 06 March 06 9:13 pm

Very good idea.

I usually check the local's profiles before I go to an area to see if any have listed their number in case I need to call to check on some fine details etc...... & I have had to call on some occasions. :wink:

Such a list would be much quicker & easier if it existed.

Roostaman

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 March 06 9:14 pm

I have no problem with you using my mobile phone number in your list.

I have no problem if you wanted to call me (although you probably aren't anywhere near any of my caches).

I have no problems if you distribute the file with my details in it.

I would prefer that you didn't put the list up on the WWW for anyone to grab.

The reason is that while I don't have a problem with the caching community having my number, in order to get to it, they need to get into the GCA profile list. If it's up on the WWW in other places, it wouldn't be as tricky to get.

C.O.D
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by C.O.D » 06 March 06 9:14 pm

Same here, good idea.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 06 March 06 9:28 pm

Feel free to contact me. If I'm in the same place as my phone (it does happen occasionally) I'll answer it and lead you astray, oh, I mean help you! 8)

I'm with c@w though, I'd prefer not to have my mobile number published for just anyone to see, cachers are cool though. I put up with enough garbage from customers at work, don't want that on my time too. I know the Prez feels the same with his job.

1st lady

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 06 March 06 9:36 pm

Yep, agree with you all. I feel the same about my own details being published. Happy for other cachers to have them, but worried about it falling into other hands ... like pesky marketing types!! <p>

Is there anywhere on this site that can take an uploaded file for others to access? I don't think it's possible to attach files to the forum. <p>

It's easy enough for each person who wants one to create such a list, one just sorts the member list by mobile phone (descending), then sets up a spreadsheet with all cell formatting set to 'Text', and copies and pastes each page as Text (not HTML). (Hint... use Paste Special). There are only 6 pages full so far with 50 on each page.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 06 March 06 9:54 pm

I'm in agreement with c@w. I'm happy to have my number where *I* put it but I don't wan't to be part of a ready made marketing list available for anybody to download.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 06 March 06 9:56 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 06 March 06 11:21 pm

Like the Riblit said... *Checks to make sure number isn't on display anymore*

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 07 March 06 6:00 am

The Ginger Loon wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 07 March 06 7:43 am

caughtatwork wrote:I have no problem with you using my mobile phone number in your list.

I have no problem if you wanted to call me (although you probably aren't anywhere near any of my caches).

I have no problems if you distribute the file with my details in it.

I would prefer that you didn't put the list up on the WWW for anyone to grab.

The reason is that while I don't have a problem with the caching community having my number, in order to get to it, they need to get into the GCA profile list. If it's up on the WWW in other places, it wouldn't be as tricky to get.
Ditto 8)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 March 06 8:19 am

I hate 'me too posts' ...but///

Me too (what they said about keeping inside GCA)

Grank

Post by Grank » 07 March 06 8:26 am

Same as C@W - mine is only listed on GCA.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 March 06 8:30 am

Number added :)

unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by unbreakables » 07 March 06 9:47 am

Are there privacy implications here?
Sorry to drop a neg in on the subject but you do actually come into some issues here.
Only mentioning this as I have been in this situation/discussion arguement before, and we came up with a solution.
Persons in question must be informed exactly what the list is for and who will have access to the list and they then must give permission to have there names published on the list.
Personally I don't mind, but like earlier stated I have been involved in this situation and the debates can get quiet heated.
Cheers...............