Shonky Geo Phonelist for PDAs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
aloysius
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by aloysius » 10 March 06 2:10 pm

Zytheran wrote:Just thinking here...
Considering that our mobile numbers are a bit like hints, i.e. typically used in desperation but needed anyway, as all of us are ok with putting hints in simple codes, why don't we just do the same with the phone numbers?
I know I do it with coordinates all the time. :twisted:

So have a public list but use :

Decryption Key
0|1|2|3|4
-------------------------
5|6|7|8|9
(number above equals below,
and vice versa)

Pretty much all numbers will start with 04 which will encode to 59, so if you see a 10 digit number starting 59 you know it's a geocaching phone number.

Good luck with the spammers harvesting that without human input. :wink:
without wanting to sound sarcastic...if the people who are writing harvesting bots etc have the programming ability to write a bot...i'm pretty sure they would have the knowhow to decrypt such a simple algorithm...

shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by shonkylogic » 10 March 06 10:17 pm

Or put it in the hints using the usual cache code, but misspell the words <p>

:twisted: bosbebserr gbguevngr fvinacubhefvpxf :twisted: <p>

:roll:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 11 March 06 9:37 pm

owe foor wun ate ...........:twisted:

The Pesky spelling hotline may be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or

Bronze Code

juzmac
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by juzmac » 12 March 06 1:56 pm

Having had to change home phone number because of telemarketing calls coming through at ridiculuous hours of the morning I'd hate to see the same thing happen with my mobile # as I've had it for about 8 years now and use it for on call work calls so I've now removed it from the site...

As others have said, I have no problem being contacted for help but don't want to run the risk of having my privacy abused (with or without intention)....

Feel free to contact via my ICQ or pm and I'm more than happy to provide my mobile # then.

Cheers
Justin

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 12 March 06 8:19 pm

Around two weeks ago I had a call from a cacher that was caching about 450 North west of Melbourne. about some distant cache that I had never heard about, I got no idea how he ever ended up with my number but was asking if I knew where this cache was.

I dont know why this cacher that I cant rememember the nickname of was calling me as I have never been caching in the Mildura area.

So here is my stance, similar to Caught at work

Yes I do place my phone number in my own caches.
Yes I do place my phone number in my profiles.

I will be happy to assist anybody who is attempting my caches or anyone attempting a cache I have completed.

But..

No I do not want my phone number on your own WWW listing without my permission as these databases can be accessed by the wrong crowd, such as a telemarketer or those very annoying "you have won a holiday" mobs.

Only having my number on a GC profile or a GCA profile or my own caches means that a person that wants my phone number will have to know that I am a cacher before they can get it.

Matto.