Your thoughts on a non-commercial "themed" cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you be opposed to the _existence_ of a promotional, but non-commercial themed cache?

Yes
6%
No, and I'd be happy to find it, even if I'm not interested
88%
No, but I wouldn't be inclined to find it
4%
Other, please specify
2%
I abstain
No votes

Total votes: 50

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 February 06 12:02 am

Cached wrote:and there was a linux cache here in adelaide that you had to post a picture of you having installed the cd
Made me think of a time by brother's girlfriend unintentionally installed Linux on her home pc. Had some kind of Linux Install CD for work she was checking. Meant to be for installation on brand new PCs and had no kind of installation prompts. Left it in her CD drive and came home to find that her PC had rebooted itself and installed the new OS completely wiping her HDD in the process. I don't think anyone would have lived through taking a picture of her at that moment!

I don't object to a promotional Cache which is not encouraging you to buy anything. It would be a different matter if it was full of AOL Cds or Discount Coupons off a purchase for a Commercial Business. That would be crossing a line.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 04 February 06 5:11 am

We have a booklet filled with vouchers and discounts off for all sorts of things in Perth. (Including Food, Shooting Gallery, Lazer Games and tonnes of other things)...Now we live North of Perth, so driving to Bunbury to have dinner is a bit pointless, and not going to happen in reality. (At least not for us!)
I'd rather drop those vouchers that we can't use into a cache for use by someone else...we wouldn't take anything from a cache we dropped them in- its hard to put a value on them- so they'd just be a bonus for any cacher who could use them to take.

Although it could be construed to be 'promotional', it really isn't done with that spirit in mind- and its not like we'd stick 50 in one cache! I can't see a problem with anyone putting out a 'commercial' cache- as long as it wasn't a requirement to log it that you had to purchase/join etc.

M.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 February 06 10:21 am

Nothing wrong with random discount coupons as swaps. But if the local Krusty Kreme Donut shop manager happened to be a cacher and placed a Cache near their shop with only buy-one-get-one-free coupons I think there would be objections.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 04 February 06 11:36 am

But if the local Krispy Kreme (oh, when are they coming to Adelaide??) manger was a cacher, and somebody else took a whole heap of vouchers and put them around, he'd look bad.

This happened to Alex from Cartographics here in Adelaide. How many carto flyers have you seen in caches? How many was Alex responsbile for putting out? Who assumes he put them there?

...but I like vouchers in caches.

Suitman
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Suitman » 06 February 06 1:03 pm

Mind Socket wrote:... I have a pile of Ubuntu Linux install/live CDs that I'd like to provide in the cache, no need to swap as I can restock the cache as needed... <br>
- Rog
<br>Bugger! I was hoping to swap my Ubuntu install CD's ! :lol: <br> I don't have an issue with this at all, I'm really only in it for the hunt!

team_diesel
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by team_diesel » 06 February 06 1:46 pm

Damo. wrote:Nothing wrong with random discount coupons as swaps. But if the local Krusty Kreme Donut shop manager happened to be a cacher and placed a Cache near their shop with only buy-one-get-one-free coupons I think there would be objections.
Krispy Kreme are coming to Melbourne and, rumour has it, are setting up a 24 hr drive through shop in the geocaching Mecca of Narre Warren.

Soon there will be plenty of caches and donuts for all.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 06 February 06 3:48 pm

I voted with the 88% however this applys to the given situation as listed. I have been knowen to remove commecial promotional material from caches but would be happy with the disc idea.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 06 February 06 7:08 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:No problemo.
You'll probably find it ends up getting full of normal swaps anyway!
You really have't been out caching for a while have you Dave? :roll: :oops: :lol:
Stop shattering the dream Loon! :lol:

EcoDave :)