RANT: How hard is it to read a TB objectives?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mind Socket

Re: RANT: How hard is it to read a TB objectives?

Post by Mind Socket » 02 February 06 12:47 pm

agsmky wrote: With those criteria you may as well have said their name to some other qlders and as such, is not very discreet. By all means have your rant, just keep names (or identities) out of it!!
It's not hard to figure out and impossible to keep names out of a topic like this. I think the issue was broached without pointing fingers and with a reasonable level of respect. I still have no idea who it is, because I didn't go looking.

- Rog

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 02 February 06 3:26 pm

Including the cachers location and their stats IS pointing fingers....particularly in our state where there are few people in this category. Most people would not know who they were, except for the extra detail. Sure we can go to the TB in question etc etc yet I choose not to. An alternative option could be " I recently had a case of an relatively experienced interstate cacher who removed my TB outside its location......."

I don't think your tactic will help in this case....we may loose another cacher due to some issue which can be resolved in a civilised manner.

You seem to have a valid point with regards to what could/should happen with your TB, I just don't like the way it has been dealt with.

Let the person have a chance responding to your email before jumping to Any conclusions.

My thoughts.....

Agsmky

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 02 February 06 3:26 pm

Including the cachers location and their stats IS pointing fingers....particularly in our state where there are few people in this category. Most people would not know who they were, except for the extra detail. Sure we can go to the TB in question etc etc yet I choose not to. An alternative option could be " I recently had a case of an relatively experienced interstate cacher who removed my TB outside its location......."

I don't think your tactic will help in this case....we may loose another cacher due to some issue which can be resolved in a civilised manner.

You seem to have a valid point with regards to what could/should happen with your TB, I just don't like the way it has been dealt with.

Let the person have a chance responding to your email before jumping to Any conclusions.

My thoughts.....

Agsmky

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 4:16 pm

agsmky wrote:Let the person have a chance responding to your email before jumping to Any conclusions.

My thoughts.....

Agsmky
mmm the cacher states in the bug log and I guote "Retrieved. Will be taking it back home to Brisbane."

What do you think the cacher is saying? What conclusion would you draw?

I was brought up to take statements like "Will be taking it back home to Brisbane" as what someone is going to to, you know if it sounds reasonable to take it at face value. Maybe they do things differently in Queensland.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on 02 February 06 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 02 February 06 5:00 pm

Andrew,

I thought I was just highlighting the obvious :D

For the record, I don't have net access at the moment and have no intention on checking on who they are anyway. My posting is based on local knowledge of the caching scene there, and not necessarily searching for assailants through GC. No you wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions :D

I hope you sort this out with the cacher in question, as I'm sure they just didn't read the tag?

Agsmky

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 5:12 pm

agsmky wrote:I hope you sort this out with the cacher in question, as I'm sure they just didn't read the tag?
Agsmky
Or the objectives on the web page. I hope you are right, but they have logged in since the emails where sent and no response. They indicate in other logs they are here on work travel so may not be checking their emails.

If nothing else they may place it in a cache in Queensland and I can get someone else to retrieve it.

Regards
Andrew

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 02 February 06 5:27 pm

You may be right there, as a current traveller, it can be hard (if not impossible) to access email (especially work email), compared to gaining net access at kiosks etc. Not everyone uses hotmail, etc :D

If it ends up in Qld, we will no doubt send it back
:D

Agsmky

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 5:39 pm

agsmky wrote:If it ends up in Qld, we will no doubt send it back
:D Agsmky
That would be nice indeed :-)

Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 06 9:18 am

I'm sure it will work out fine, but it serves as a good reminder to everyone to pay attention. :)

- Rog

Suitman
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Suitman » 03 February 06 10:41 am

I must be naive. I thought the reason to have TB's in this geocaching world of ours is to allow an owner to set a task for a TB and have some (outside) interest in following it in it's (eventual) accomplishment of that task, using the community spirit of fellow geocachers to help. Following on from that - we have been able to have TB races around the state / nation / world and so on. What's the point if all you are doing this is for the numbers? :?: (I could just hack that)

Suitman wrote:I must be naive.
Repeat as necessary

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 06 12:24 pm

Suitman, you're spot on with the reason for TBs, but who said anything about the cause of this particular topic being people doing it for "the numbers"?

- Rog

Suitman

Post by Suitman » 06 February 06 12:35 pm

I thought that if "I don't care about where the TB is heading" then "I must be doing it for some other reason" applies, and so (possibly) just to make my TB numbers on GC look good. :roll: <br>again ... "I must be naive" naa .. make that stupid.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 February 06 12:48 pm

Suitman wrote:I thought that if "I don't care about where the TB is heading" then "I must be doing it for some other reason" applies, and so (possibly) just to make my TB numbers on GC look good. :roll: <br>again ... "I must be naive" naa .. make that stupid.
<p>In that case grab it and return it to the same cache 8)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 February 06 1:24 pm

Suitman wrote:I thought that if "I don't care about where the TB is heading" then "I must be doing it for some other reason" applies, and so (possibly) just to make my TB numbers on GC look good. :roll: <br>again ... "I must be naive" naa .. make that stupid.
Not the situation in this case being discussed, but in general you only find out about the goal when you get home. If that's the case, then you may or may not be able to achieve the goal any further.

eg. I picked up a TB.
No goal attached.
Got home (west from the cache) and found out the goal was to ONLY travel EAST.
So the only option for me was to find a cache FURTHER EAST from the last place I found it.
Sorry, not going to happen anytime in the near future.

I now have a choice. Leave the TB in a cache which means it's travelled WEST and bear the brunt of the TB owner for not carrying out the goal --OR-- hold onto the TB until I CAN get further east and bear the brunt of the TB owner for hanging onto the bug for months.

This does not apply to TB's that have goals WITH the TB, but some goals get torn off, wet, unreadable over time. If this is the case and the owner doesn't know that the goals aren't there anymore and of course the finder doesn't know there are supposed to be goals attached to the TB, then what are you going to do.

I take the bug and if I can help it, I will, if not then it will find itself in another cache, possibly against the goals.

I do not release TB's with goals and then get all stroppy when they're not followed. I trust my luck with the wind and hope that the TB MOVES rather than sits in a cache waiting for someone that can help it achieve a goal.

I appreciate the unique nature of the TB being discussed but once you let something go in the wild, stuff will happen that you have little to no control over and you I believe you must resign yourself to that fact.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 06 February 06 1:29 pm

My wife released her first bug, goal, not to travel out of aus. First pickup, straight to the usa. Within 3 or 4 cache drops, it had disappeared and nobody wanted to own up to having taken it.