RANT: How hard is it to read a TB objectives?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
!mike

Post by !mike » 06 February 06 2:16 pm

I am not too sure why people find this all so difficult!

If a travel bug has a goal attached to it - follow the goal.

If no goal attached take it anywhere.

If a goal is attached and someone refuses to follow the goal then there is little an owner can do about that except try to get the TB back on track again.

There is no point in ranting and raving - well, there is if it makes you feel better I suppose.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 February 06 3:15 pm

n00bs who don't yet understand the TB game might find it interesting reading :D

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 06 February 06 9:10 pm

The experiences of an owner of nine TBs:
- one lost to muggles
- one went Adelaide to Darwin on an unlogged trip
- a couple of others had unexplained cache-to-cache teleports
- several unlogged pick-ups by newbies (I always email them to explain what to do)
- several unlogged pick-ups by experienced cachers (*#@??!!)
- one vanished from a cache for no apparent reason
- special targets/picture requests routinely ignored
Lessons?
1. Expect nothing – just be grateful if your TB stays alive and moving.
2. ALWAYS put a watch on a cache your TB is in so you have a chance of spotting a find log mentioning your TB which is not accompanied by a drop or retrieve.

Ditto for special swap requests on your placements – don’t expect many finders to follow them.

I learnt these sad facts of life early on in my caching experiences. Why have some still got rose-coloured glasses?

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 06 February 06 10:57 pm

Bunya wrote:I learnt these sad facts of life early on in my caching experiences. Why have some still got rose-coloured glasses?
Oh, I have had some similiar experiences and also with caches. Nothing at all to do with rose-coloured glasses .... all to do with letting off steam at the experience ... see the orginal posting.

Was also seeking suggestions on how to minimise the issues. Again see the opening post

All that said, rose coloured glasses or not it is frustrating, time consuming, resource draining and on it goes.

What is more frustrating is the cacher in question has logged in at least twice since the bug was taken and has not responded to emails from msyelf and another cacher, nor taking note of the bug log.

Maybe time for a note on one of their own caches.

Regards
Andrew

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 06 February 06 11:04 pm

i'd leave it for a bit - if caching on holidays, he may well have just logged a standard log, but will rectify it.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 07 February 06 12:03 pm

Aushiker wrote: Oh, I have had some similiar experiences and also with caches. Nothing at all to do with rose-coloured glasses .... all to do with letting off steam at the experience ... see the orginal posting.

Was also seeking suggestions on how to minimise the issues. Again see the opening post
Sorry Aushiker – I wasn’t suggesting you had rose-coloured glasses and we all need a rant occasionally. I was just a bit surprised that you seem to remain so hopeful that ‘special use’ TBs will work. I have come to think that, other than following my suggestions above (expect nothing will work and keep a 'watch' on where your TB goes), there is little we can do to ensure our TBs go where we want them to. Of course some special target TBs succeed, but this seems fairly rare.

IÂ’ve got several ideas IÂ’d like to use for special caches and/or TBs that IÂ’d love to try but experience suggests that one newbie or “donÂ’t careÂâ€

Cached

Post by Cached » 07 February 06 12:30 pm

I think Langys unlock the mystery has worked well using TBs as code carriers.

SWAG agg
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by SWAG agg » 07 February 06 12:36 pm

I can't believe that anyone could get that upset over a TB. It's only a game after all!<br>
I agree with the sentiment that that we rely on the goodwill of other cachers. They are not our slaves. I say let the TB travel and let it smell the roses on its journey.
<br><br>However I do understand if you didn't want it to leave the city - especially if it's part of a larger multi-cache. (e.g. Alien Outpost or 5th Element)
<br>
<br><br>
I released a TB in San Diego 12 months ago with a mission to get to the fall colours in New England in the US. So far it's been to literally every corner of the North America - California, Florida, Alaska and is currently sitting in Novia Scotia.<br>
I'm not really fussed if it takes 2 or 3 years to get there. I'm travelling vicariously to some interesting places through its movements.<br><br>
But hey, that's me - a "smell-the-roses" type of guy.
Last edited by SWAG agg on 07 February 06 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cached

Post by Cached » 07 February 06 12:40 pm

I believe the TB in question is a code carrying TB - hence a cache is useless if the TB travels - that wasn't its point.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 07 February 06 9:25 pm

SWAG agg wrote:I can't believe that anyone could get that upset over a TB. It's only a game after all!.
Sure but for some the cost or the attachment, e.g., kids following its travels, it is more than just a Travel Bug. The one in question cost about $15 x 2 plus the cache plus the backups .... Now for you that might not be a big issue, but for some of us that is a little dent in the pocket.

Cheers
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 31 March 06 4:58 pm

Hi

Just a little update. Even though both myself and others including in the last few days tried to contact the cacher who take the Easting TB back to Queensland, no response was forthcoming.

I took matters into my own hands this morning and posted a request for the cacher to contact me in one of his popular cache pages. Well that illicited a response, which was "This is XXXXX, give me your address and i will post it to you ASAP."

Not exactly politie but if he or she follows through and posts the bug back a good outcome.

Regards
Andrew

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 31 March 06 8:09 pm

It's a shame you did that Andrew :shock: .. as the emails I sent you over the last few days showed I had been in communication with Craig and all was going well. I had sent him my Address and he was going to send me the bug but I have no idea now if he will.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 31 March 06 8:22 pm

Hi Mike

Sorry about that, but I didn't get your emails so was not aware of you communicating with him.

Irrespective of that, and with due respect, I shouldn't have had to do anything. If Craig had done the right thing when approached on numerous occasions in the past this conversation wouldn't be taking place so please don't dump on me.

I didn't ask for all this in the first place!

Cheers
Andrew

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 29 May 06 6:33 pm

Once again cachers seem to amaze me,

despite the fact the TB has its goal clearly stated on the tb description on the website it also has a note attached to the TB instructing cachers of where it would like to go, yet people seem to keep moving it further and further away.

if any NSW cachers are going to Frazer Island anytime soon can you grab my TB and bring him back to NSW?

cheers GIN51E

Cache: On the Knife's Edge

TB Kahlua

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 29 May 06 6:46 pm

GIN51E wrote:if any NSW cachers are going to Frazer Island anytime soon can you grab my TB and bring him back to NSW?
ROFL - this made me laugh (I guess I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune - sorry. And BTW, its Fraser Island.