Therapy?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Therapy?

Post by ClydeE » 22 October 03 5:40 pm

Hi all,

Thought it about time I made a post other than the serious stuff you find in the software forum. My apologies if you find it a tad flippant.

I have only been geocahing for a couple of months now however …

My problem is that now when I am out walking I get this irresistible urge to look under bushes and logs for hidey spots. It’s like a magnetic force that just can’t be ignored. I am starting to feel I should be going to AA or something. You know “Hi, my name is Clyde. I have a problem. I look under bushes ….”

Is this a common side effect of Geocaching? Is it normal? I am concerned it may manifest itself in deviant behaviour (well, more than usual anyway).

So, do I need therapy?

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Re: Therapy?

Post by swampgecko » 22 October 03 6:30 pm

ClydeE wrote:Hi all,

Thought it about time I made a post other than the serious stuff you find in the software forum. My apologies if you find it a tad flippant.

I have only been geocahing for a couple of months now however …

My problem is that now when I am out walking I get this irresistible urge to look under bushes and logs for hidey spots. It’s like a magnetic force that just can’t be ignored. I am starting to feel I should be going to AA or something. You know “Hi, my name is Clyde. I have a problem. I look under bushes ….”

Is this a common side effect of Geocaching? Is it normal? I am concerned it may manifest itself in deviant behaviour (well, more than usual anyway).

So, do I need therapy?
What you are describing is commonplace for Geocachers.. You will feel the need to go out at odd hours, You will check your email account for notification of logs against your caches all the time, work will suffer while you struggle to understand/workout the last clue to the hardest cache you have ever attempted...... If you have a partner he/she will start complaining of the lack of chores being done around the house......... you will look at invites to weddings and parties as potential caching trips, plan your trip up the coast in stages that go from cache to cache...

You suffer from any of this syptoms or more that haven't been listed, then you are hooked on Geocaching and there is no hope for you....

Welcome to the PARTY.... :lol:

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 22 October 03 6:36 pm

To those symptoms you can add spending more in the $2 Shops for cache fodder than you do in the supermarket (unless you go to the supermarket to buy nice plastic containers :wink: ). Always looking for better maps, and poring over them when you get them to find places to hide a cache or two. The only real therapy is to get out of the house and just get on with the caching. :D

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 22 October 03 7:45 pm

It really is a disease and you know what.....it is spreading. Not just here in NSW but all other states and even around the world. I think it has its claws on every continent.
Doesn't that give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing you have this irrasistable panic attack every time you have a few minutes spare. Going for a drive takes on a whole new outlook. Thats the word..outlook. so lookout for those spare minutes that catch you looking in the $2 shops. The outlook may be caching... I mean catching.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Therapy?

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 October 03 7:38 am

[quote="ClydeE"] I am starting to feel I should be going to AA or something. You know “Hi, my name is Clyde. I have a problem. I look under bushes Â….Ââ€

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 23 October 03 10:03 am

Don't worry, eventually it wears off a little bit ... you start to realise that there aren't caches under every rock (but there could be :) ).

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 23 October 03 1:51 pm

maccamob wrote:unless you go to the supermarket to buy nice plastic containers
A friend wandered past once while we were poring over some new tiny sized coloured Decore containers in K-Mart. I ended up coming clean that we were asessing their hide-ability and magnet-glue-ability, rather than shopping for a new lunch box.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 23 October 03 5:04 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Don't worry, eventually it wears off a little bit ... you start to realise that there aren't caches under every rock (but there could be :) ).
I dont think so in my case. We have been away from Perth for near on twelve months now and the withdrawals symptoms are still strong!! :D

So strong in fact that I have my geo-pack permanently ready - just incase an opportunity arises to head down to the "Big Smoke". Wedding, funeral any excuse whatsoever, things we normally would not bother attending - get there, get it over with, and then get on with some geo-caching!!!!

I think we should change our team name from Team : Pathfinder to Team : Desparate!!!! :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 28 October 03 10:16 pm

I am a normal person e.g. Father / Husband / Friend etc for half a day a week. It isn't until I have spent both days and I'm cached out on Sunday lunch time and couldn't be bothered.

Last weekend Mixima and I hiked about 20k's up mount and down gully, through bush and out campsites! Wednesday is tomorrow and we are still sore and tired.

Trust me - it gets worse before it gets better.

Wait till your workmate are fed up with you going on and on about how much fun your having, you significant other thinks you rate her advances a close second and your mates start calling you by your cache name.

Thank god I don't live in Sydney, I wouldn't get to work! Scientific trials on rats should be starting soon. Hopefully I'll live long enough for a cure!

!!!Caching is terminal!!!

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 29 October 03 1:14 pm

Hi, my name is Loon and I'm a GEOCACHER...

Never mind about thinking there's a cache under every bush, try putting up with encoding waypoint data into everyday items.

Examples:

How many planks wide is this verandah?
How many flutes in that corinthian column? How many columns?
What about that ... over there?

Or try considering every container/bottle/vessel/etc for it's appropriateness as a cache container?

Anyway I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who realises the addictiveness and all-pervasiveness of this sport/hobby we are in to.

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 29 October 03 10:56 pm

Forget about the lawns or the painting or washing the car or visiting the relos unless they happen to be on the way to a cache. :D

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 30 October 03 1:34 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Forget about the lawns or the painting or washing the car or visiting the relos unless they happen to be on the way to a cache. :D
Tip: Buy the relos a GPSr for Christmas.