Logging DNF's

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you DNF

I always log a DNF if canÂ’t find a cache
53%
Sometimes I log a DNF
37%
I donÂ’t believe in logging a DNF
No votes
My ego wonÂ’t allow me to log a DNF
8%
What is a DNF
2%

Total votes: 62

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Logging DNF's

Post by The Coffee's » 24 January 06 11:23 pm

DNF (did not find) sounds simple but it appears some cachers have DNLNDF(do not log DNFÂ’s) phobias. Why? Hopefully the poll and this thread will help those who fear to log a DNF. To me a DNF is more important on my own caches than a find, it alerts me that there may be a problem with my cache and a cache maintenance check may be needed. I also have no problem in logging a cache I could not find, It helps others who may experience the same situation or circumstances at the cache, and at times it compliments the owner on a very good hide. Over to you...........................?

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 24 January 06 11:32 pm

Sometimes we log a dnf. If we have had a good search, most definately. If it was hot, or we were rushing and didn't have a proper look, then we won't. If someone finds it straight after we didn't, we probably wouldn't log a dnf - how embarrassment! Some cache hunts have a funny story, if a dnf is accompanied by this we will definately log it.

Of course, sometimes we just clean forget that we even looked for it! If it's not in our field notes, it gets missed

However, as Mr Coffee suggested, a dnf can be an alert that something is amiss at GZ. It can also tell you that you've totally messed up the coords ;) if it's the first log (been there done that).

Okay, short answer - sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but it's more often that we do.

1st lady

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 24 January 06 11:43 pm

Ah ha. My Fundamental Caching Law of Nature rule number 1. :

1. Don’t get too upset if you can’t find the cache if you are under pressure and in a rush. (still log a no find though – if I know I am in so much of a rush, I may refrain from looking even if it’s a drive by). Rushing never assists and normally results in a Bloke’s Look.

see the other thread.

clear skies, Astro.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 25 January 06 6:40 am

If i didn't find the cache then i log a DNF simple as that. what do i have to hide?

Suitman
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Suitman » 25 January 06 7:49 am

GIN51E wrote:If i didn't find the cache then i log a DNF simple as that. what do i have to hide?
<br>Ditto

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 25 January 06 8:19 am

GIN51E wrote:If i didn't find the cache then i log a DNF simple as that. what do i have to hide?
Double ditto! Caches logging no finds on our caches alert us to check them, 7-10 caches are there . But without logging dnf's our mantaince would not be right up there till to late!
Thanx to all that log no finds on our caches!

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 January 06 8:22 am

president & 1st lady wrote:Sometimes we log a dnf. If we have had a good search, most definately. If it was hot, or we were rushing and didn't have a proper look, then we won't.
president & 1st lady wrote:Some cache hunts have a funny story, if a dnf is accompanied by this we will definately log it.
president & 1st lady wrote:However, as Mr Coffee suggested, a dnf can be an alert that something is amiss at GZ. It can also tell you that you've totally messed up the coords ;) if it's the first log (been there done that).

Okay, short answer - sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but it's more often that we do.
ditto :)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 January 06 8:45 am

Any time I get out of the car with to go seek with my gps in my hand.

Pet peeve of mine is seeing 'Found on my third attempt' in a log with no preceeding DNF's logged.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 25 January 06 9:27 am

I voted sometimes - because If I am prevented from finding the cache because of muggles, pressures of time (blokes look), or some other reason that prevents me from having a good look then I don't bother.

On the other hand - if I have done a thorough job and am convinced that the cache is not there then I always log the DNF.

Comments by others in a log about "my third attempt at this one" don't faze me because there are many reasons for an abortive attempt on a cache.

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 25 January 06 9:57 am

ian-and-penny wrote: Comments by others in a log about "my third attempt at this one" don't faze me because there are many reasons for an abortive attempt on a cache.
Agree, if I get to "very near" GZ and it's, say, on an island in the Torrens (I think I said "Dam! Where's the kayak?") ...yep, I can see it but can't get to it, I won't log a no find ..well you have sort of found it but can't reach it. Maybe you POST A NOTE in that instance. Obviously, if you've had a look and can't find it, post a DNF. Can't see why you would not. Surely cachers don't get embarrassed about not finding a cache do they??? :oops:

clear skies, Astro.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 25 January 06 10:13 am

I know somebody who got a a sledging for logging a DNF on an early cache.

That certainly put him off logging DNFs.

Nosugrefs
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Logging DNF's

Post by Nosugrefs » 25 January 06 11:07 am

All good arguments - We'll log all DNF's in future and indicate whether it was due to our tardy searching (and therefore not a problem with the cache) or give an indication that we did all we could to find it and failed (which may indicate a problem with the cache)

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 25 January 06 12:11 pm

We always log our DNF's.
Besides alerting the cache owner that there may be an issue (most likely we didn't look hard enough :oops: ), but it helps us when our pocket queries are imported into GSAK. You can then run a filter on caches you have had DNF's with and revisit them at a later date.
When we find one of our DNF's, we edit the original log and add our "Found" text underneath it, change the date we found it, then flag it as Found.
Makes record keeping easy.

Cached

Post by Cached » 25 January 06 12:23 pm

When we find one of our DNF's, we edit the original log and add our "Found" text underneath it, change the date we found it, then flag it as Found.
Makes record keeping easy.
I used to do this when I first started, only problem is the owner never sees your updated log or any indication that it has changed unless they happen to notice it on the cache page.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 25 January 06 12:39 pm

I always log a DNF if I CAN'T find a cache.

Can't means I have had a good look. If it was a quick driveby on the way to another appontment that didn't allow time for a proper look I may not log as I don't consider I have finished looking yet.