Mildura 2007

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 28 January 06 2:25 pm

IÂ’m without internet access at the moment so I have not been able to get into the forum, rest assured that when I am back online IÂ’ll get back into this topic. See ya soon. :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 January 06 3:40 pm

Mix wrote:IÂ’m without internet access at the moment so I have not been able to get into the forum, rest assured that when I am back online IÂ’ll get back into this topic. See ya soon. :D
you have a ghost poster?

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 28 January 06 9:51 pm

shaggy wrote: Seeing that many cachers these days are "tech" cachers, you'll also need to provide electricity to power and recharge all the laptops, pdas and other assorted items. A secure area that people can set up these items would be good as well.
I make sure as a tech cacher I can survive for a month on a river bank or in the outback off my own power. All kitted up to run & charge of my 4wd.

I don't like the idea as potentially part of the event organising team of taking responsibility for the security of an area like that.

All care no responsibility .....

Dave

roostaman
10000 or more caches found

Post by roostaman » 18 June 06 11:42 am

While not wanting to take anything away from this great idea....
as it has been quiet on the front & there was a little bit of discussion about it in Dubbo, there is a possibility that Wagga could be considered by the local Bidgee Caching gang as an alternative location .........

There is more cachers/helpers here to get it done & obviously a heap more caches also, but some of you have already done many anyway.
New & temp ones could easily be placed for a big event here.

And as it is further for the SA travellers & maybe the Vic's too, what do we all think about Easter in Wagga as an option ?

I have been thinking this week & have a possible theme, a starting system for a big crowd, a nite cache idea (thanks to Dubbo's excellent one) etc etc...

But it would still need agreement & lots more planning by the locals & a base location for up to 50 teams if the 40+ mildura hopefuls is an indication.

So no promises, but is it an option? Do we need a poll ?

What say ye avid hunters out there ?

Roosta

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 18 June 06 6:59 pm

I don't think portaloos are that big a problem. They were used at this years 3 day orienteering event at Castelmaine that catered for roughly 500+ competitors, plus all the other people.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 20 June 06 12:33 am

My guess would be needs to be moved away from the June LWE, the South Australians have a well entrenched event and my guess is they (without ever having been to an SA LWE event) that they would be uninclined to move their party.

BUT

I reckon they'd go at another time.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 20 June 06 9:20 am

Cached wrote:My guess would be needs to be moved away from the June LWE, the South Australians have a well entrenched event and my guess is they (without ever having been to an SA LWE event) that they would be uninclined to move their party.

BUT

I reckon they'd go at another time.
I attended the SA Event this year, and some of the people I spoke to were in favour of a Mega Event in Mildura during the June LWE.

!mike

Post by !mike » 20 June 06 10:35 am

Dubbo is a heck of a long way from Adelaide and so for that matter is Wagga Wagga.

I dont really see a common venu for a long weekend for Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra.

Wagga Wagga would be possible for all but Adelaide I think.

I think Mildura was mentioned because it is a large established town, but I dont think that is relavent. There was a large group of people at Kapunda this year which is a small country town. We used the footy clubrooms for the venue HQ.
To get the maximum number of people you would need a caravan park.

If the venue was closer to Melbourne then it might be viable for Adelaide, Melbourne, Wagga Wagga and ACT.

I used to goto the Grampians bushwalking for long weekends and I really reckon that this sort of distance would be the maximum people would drive for a long weekend.

How about Swan Hill?

But just as important is the sort of terrain arond the town selected. Needs to be resonably level and access around the planned caching area needs to be by 2WD vehicles. A bit of 4WD is OK, but if a lot of the caches are 4WD only, people will not come back.

Cached

Post by Cached » 20 June 06 11:05 am

The reason Mildura has been put to bed is that it doesn't already have a caching community, and as a result, doesn't have many established caches.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 20 June 06 2:46 pm

I think Wagga is roughly half way between Sydney and Melbourne, easy for ACT, and really not impossible for SA cachers if they want to make the trip.

Wagga has a huge diversity of caches already established of all types, micros up to big ones, traditionals to multis and puzzle caches. Plenty around the immediate say 30k radius as well if you don't want to stick to the town itself.

Something in spring perhaps? get a bulk deal on cabin accommodation at a caravan park etc?

It's no small drive from Sydney, but for a 3 day weekend, we'd turn up and I reckon quite a few others would as well.

I liked the way the gold rush worked, could not get to the scooby one so don't know how that worked. But something similar would be good.

The caches there are sufficiently spread apart so there would not normally be large groups of cachers milling at the same caches so that may lessen the chance of muggling.

I'm sure there would be a big enough venue thats kid friendly as well that we could have a big dinner on the sat night.

just a few thoughts.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 20 June 06 3:04 pm

Wagga is probably in range from Brisbane as well.

I would seriously consider a long weekend trip there and I'm sure there are others here that would too.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 20 June 06 3:11 pm

ACT could also be another possibility, just not sure about how active they are there as to who would be the driving force to get something up and going.

Certainly a LOT of variety down there as well.