Australian GEOcoin images

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 24 December 05 5:04 pm

We appologise maybe we wern't clear in our last post ... There are 'no restrictions' but I'd 'prefer' it was used on GCA products. <br>That doesn't mean anyone 'can't' use it for whatever purpose. The images 'are' copyright free and we can't stop anyone from using them as they want. <p>It just seems logical to me ... excluding copyright restrictions :wink: you wouldn't purchase a west coast eagles jacket with a collingwood logo on it. The same applies here I would think but your opinions will vary.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 24 December 05 10:04 pm

I agree with TLC.

From what I understand, the logo was designed specifically FOR GCA, although it has no technical 'copyrights' as such.

And just because the coin is Australian doesn't mean it should have the GCA logo on it after all, it is going to be technically only loggable at gc.com, therefore the only thing it has to do with GCA is that we're in the gca forums talking about it....and just because theres no 'copyright' on the usage of the logo, doesn't mean its morally right to use it on the gc.com coins, Which is essentially what they will be.

I personally would be a bit less interested in them if they are gc.com coins, but pilfer the Aussie logo, if the consensus is that it should NOT be used in relation to a GC.com coin...

Maybe you could email Jeremy Irish, and ask him if you do an Aussie map using his gc.com logo colours (because it will be a gc.com coin technically) he might let you do it...

Just my two cents.

Marie.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 25 December 05 1:23 am

So let me get this straight.

It is all right to have an Australian geocoin with part of the GCA logo on it but not all right if it is trackable at GC.

In neither situation is the coin a GCA coin so to take any moral high ground about the use of the designed image in one instance and not take the same moral high ground in the other is a bit hypercritical.

It is also never, technically or otherwise, a GC coin so to continue to call it one seams to indicate either a lack of understanding of the geocoin concept or that there is something else not being said in the forum.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

coins

Post by TeamAstro » 25 December 05 11:24 am

I liked the first coin designed {the best} (as discussed here and in the other thread). Great work (BTW – the second Aust logo is still very good).

This is getting a bit political boys and girls. We want the coins to be tracked and actually logged donÂ’t we? ThatÂ’s the point (or is it?). If it is, we all know how and where that will be done.

Cheers and Merry Xmas Â… :D :D
Astro.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 25 December 05 3:49 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:
Team Piggy wrote:Personally I wonder about using the GCA logo on a geo.com coin? but thats my opinion :wink:
This is an Australian geocoin trackable only at GC so how does it make it a GC coin ? <snip>
Having a link to Geo.com on them certainly doesnt make it an Australian geocaching site coin does it?
Maybe it needs to be Geo-coin Australian edition?

No beef about it, I think Adacache is doing a great job, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I don't think I am on my own over the GCA logo on the coin. Even the creators have noted their "preference".

As stated, I would rather see it tracked on the AU site, but yes do also admit that this will cause issues as the US site have locked data and it makes tracking difficult.

ideology

Post by ideology » 25 December 05 4:03 pm

team astro, the discussion about where to log the coin has been held in another thread. this thread is about the design of the coin.

chwiliwr, people are often confused between gc and gca. our worry is that the first design confuses things even more because it combines the logo used on one site and the url of another.

belken

Post by belken » 26 December 05 2:19 pm

I will bite my tongue. Although there is a whole topic for discussion that needs to be had soon.

I am also no good at making pictures but I do have a suggestion.
Something like below.

You may get the gist. ie Australia and satelites etc.

Or something like

With Australaia in the middle.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 26 December 05 10:36 pm

TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:We appologise maybe we wern't clear in our last post ... There are 'no restrictions' but I'd 'prefer' it was used on GCA products. <b
No need to apology. You where CLEAR in your previous post, well at least to me .... and you have been pretty decent about your use of the logo which you designed. Well done.

Regards
Andrew

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 27 December 05 12:17 am

Aushiker wrote:
TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:We appologise maybe we wern't clear in our last post ... There are 'no restrictions' but I'd 'prefer' it was used on GCA products. <b
No need to apology. You where CLEAR in your previous post, well at least to me .... and you have been pretty decent about your use of the logo which you designed. Well done.

Regards
Andrew
I was told to bite my tongue but the issue has to be sorted out. My concern about the GCA design is now purely to clarify when and where it can be used.

TLC as the original owner has copyrights to the design and has given up his rights and passed them, in a sense to GCA, as he prefers that the design only be used for GCA. The issue that needed clarification, even if some people coulcn't see it, is that TLC also stated that were 'no restrictions' on the use of the design but in 'the future' they would prefer it only be used for GCA products.

There are either restrictions or there are not and everyone needs to know where they stand in regards to the GCA design. The 'in the future' comment also left it open for the current designs for the Australian geocoin to stand as it is, ignoring ideology's concerns for the moment, so also needed clarification.

In all of this everyone needs to step back and recognise that the coin is an Australian geocoin that can be tracked at GC. That neither makes it a GC coin nor does it make it a GCA coin if it ended up not being trackable at GC.

I recognise the concerns of ideology and would have made a suggestion that the GCA design be put on the front with the 'Geocaching Australia' wording as that would seem to get rid of any confusion with logo's and web links however it seems that there is still the issue in some minds that they don't want the logo to be used on anything that is associated with GC.

My preference is that I would like to see the logo on the coin as it is embodies caching in Australia in my view but if the logo can only be used for a GCA product as is indicated by TLC and some others then it means that it will never be on a GC trackable coin, which is what most people would like to have, unless we find a way to solve the underlying concerns.

We also would have defined the usage of the logo in a much better way than the 'no restrictions as long as it is GCA' which is too open for practical usage. I know that some people would like to use the logo on other items so it defenitely needs to be sorted out, especially if a product is, or could possibly be associated as, something to do with GC.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 27 December 05 12:52 am

Hi
Mmm I think it is time for a cuppa of tea.

I personally am loosing interest in these coins. Seems to me we are heading down the path of gc.com (read gc.com forums) and taking the fun out the game.

I thought the orginal idea of coin design that reflected geocaching in Australia, which ideally would be a coin that would be able to travel the world and would be in a form that ENCOURAGES same was a great idea, least that is the way I read things at the start.

Personally I was looking forward to getting a coin or two and watching it travel, reading the logs and seeing the photos.

All this ***** about logging it here or there, about if we can have an Australian design on a coin that is logged on another website and so on has turned me right off. It just not seem what this whole coin thing was about. Seems to defeat the purpose to me.

Cheers
Andrew

PS my vote as a likely non-purchaser, for what it is worth is for either design. I think both are great and well done to the designer.

TeamAstro

cuppa time

Post by TeamAstro » 28 December 05 4:34 pm

I think any discussion in whatever forum is good and healthy. One should not be “told offÂâ€

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 28 December 05 5:40 pm

Somebody say tea?

Nuff for everyone.

Bronze.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 28 December 05 7:44 pm

As far as I am concerned- the use of the Geocaching Australia logo on a Geocaching.com trackable coin is ridiculous.

I feel really strongly about this- the logo was created to give this site its own identity, and if the shoe was on the other foot, theres more than likely no way in heck Jeremy would be as liberal with his site logo.

I think that it would be morally wrong to use the Geocaching Australia logo just because its creators haven't set up a specific copyright.

In essence- it was created for the GCA site, and TLC have said that they would prefer it to be used for GCA. And as they are a well known, well respected team, and they created the logo- I believe that their wishes (regardless of copyright crap) should be adhered to.

If we're going to list the coins on GC.com, then they should have something generic on them. NOT the Geocaching Australian logo.

Its just poor form.

Marie

belken

Post by belken » 28 December 05 8:51 pm

You all feel strongly. All well and good. What is your suggestion for a design though. This thread was started for those suggestions. How about we all provide input to that solution and maybe the GCA logo would not be the problem.

One thing to keep in mind. If you promote this site as free and open then sometimes you will have to swallow some bitter pills to keep it that way.

The above statement does not promote the use of the GCA logo on the coin.

!mike

Post by !mike » 28 December 05 9:22 pm

The GCA logo is distinct in that it divides the mainland into quarters, and applies a colour to each quarter.

Assuming that everyone is happy to stay with the Outline of Australia....

How about keeping the outline, but showing the state boundaries. Colour each state? Well, why not? This would still be distinctly Australian without it looking like the GCA logo.