Australian GEOcoin images

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Grank

Post by Grank » 02 February 06 9:11 am

Slider & Smurf wrote:Attended a gathering earlier in the week where several new 'coins' were set loose - was amazed to see seveal people with rather heavy binders full of geocoins they'd collected. The coins here seem to be evolving into two distinct types - the traditional TB style that can be tracked online, and a 'challenge coin' style that appears purely for swapping to build up a collection.
<p>
They are quite the collectors' pieces over here - be prepared for lots of them to disappear into personal collections, regardless of goals :wink:
Case in point. I recently PMed a US cacher to confirm the demise of one of their TBs as the cache was muggled. We traded some chatter, they told me how coins just keep going missing over there, I said that here we look and treat them as TBs unless there are other instructions. In the end they were going to send me a replacement TB and I'd kick it on it's way again.

I forgot all about this until I received a parcel last night, opened it and not only was the TB there but some geocoins from various countries. These coins had very specific instrunctions to "never touch US soil again" as they "tend to keep them" and a pleading "PLEASE".

You may wish to consider Slider & Smurfs warning when setting your coins goals.

Oh yeah, just PM me if anyone wants to trade some really cool coins I've just got hold of .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 05 February 06 10:03 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote:Attended a gathering earlier in the week where several new 'coins' were set loose - was amazed to see seveal people with rather heavy binders full of geocoins they'd collected. The coins here seem to be evolving into two distinct types - the traditional TB style that can be tracked online, and a 'challenge coin' style that appears purely for swapping to build up a collection.
<p>
They are quite the collectors' pieces over here - be prepared for lots of them to disappear into personal collections, regardless of goals :wink:
I'm sorry, but this makes me very angry! In my books that's straight out THEFT!
Anyone who take a piece out of a game for their own personal gain is stealing from the owner of that object & that makes them a thief!

If I ever spot ANYONE carrying a collection that they have put together by "confiscating" from caches I'd call them a thief straight to their faces ... we don't need low lives like that in the game!!! Image

Bambi

Theft?

Post by Bambi » 07 February 06 1:43 am

This is something that has concerned us for some time, though touch wood, we haven't had a real problem with it here in the UK yet. <br>
<br>
However, we are charitable souls and would like to think that most (well, some at least) of these "thefts" are trades where people haven't noticed that the coin in question is a traveller. In such cases, we feel that the coin owner is partly responsible for the coin going AWOL.<br>
<br>
However, I'm certain that a lot of coins that go missing are taken by "collectors" and it is in an effort to prevent both possibilities that we drill holes in our coins and use them to attach laminated labels using a split ring keyring loop, soldered closed. This way, the coins are devalued (if you ever see a collecter who has a coin marked with a scratched cross or with a hole in it, ask them where it came from, it's probably a former traveller) and there is no way that the inexperienced/unobservant cacher can fail to notice that it shouldn't be kept. The bonus with this method is that cachers can still feel the coin and they get weathered so that they are increasingly less likely to get kept by "collectors", and they still fit in some of the smaller caches.<br>
<br>
Bambi.

Liska

Post by Liska » 07 February 06 7:25 am

Team Stargazer wrote:
<p>
I'm sorry, but this makes me very angry! In my books that's straight out THEFT!
Anyone who take a piece out of a game for their own personal gain is stealing from the owner of that object & that makes them a thief!

If I ever spot ANYONE carrying a collection that they have put together by "confiscating" from caches I'd call them a thief straight to their faces ... we don't need low lives like that in the game!!! Image
Or they could just do what i have done, and keep the trackable ones and not plan on ever letting them loose coz I think its too funky to lose :P Or, buy two of that one and set one loose and keep the other..
I'm sure a lot go missing into peoples personal collections, but wouldn't these people be caught out if someone else checks the tracking numbers? o.o

CENT5

Post by CENT5 » 08 February 06 12:01 pm

<p>
Greetings from the US. Just a couple of my thoughts on geocoins.<p>

Speaking from experience I think have been VERY lucky with my coins. They do disappear with great regularity here in the U.S.<p>

I have set loose 40 coins into the wild in the past year. Of those 40 I can still account for 30 due to either recent activity or personal knowlege of the person holding the coin. (With my permission.) Thats actually pretty good.<p>

FunnyNose made a recent visit to AU and dropped a few coins for me and I see they are traveling nicely. 8) <p>

I also sent a set of 3-4 more in my name to snuva who has just recieved them. I also sent a few unregistered coins for snuva to do with what they please. Snuva has my permission to either place them in caches or hold them in their collection as long as they share the icon with other cachers they meet.<p>

So you see, there can be several factors involved in coins in a collection. I have a tendency to "leave" coins in favorite caches. I see VERY few others doing the same. Let's face it. It can get expensive.<p>

When I place a coin in a cache it is with the full knowledge that it will probably be taken and not logged. I had someone take 7 coins out of a fairly difficult cache I had set up and no it could not have possibly been a muggle. :x :x Thats the way it goes. I sleep just fine.<p>

It would be highly unlikely for someone to put together a decent collection with coins they found in the wild. How many have you seen? Not many I bet. More likely they bought or traded for the coins. I typically buy 3 and keep 1 in my collection, Drop 1 in a cache unregistered for say an FTF prize, and keep one to trade.<p>

I enjoy the e-mails I get when the coins move and my kids are getting a geography lesson following their travels.<p>

I look forward to seeing the new AU coin.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 February 06 1:55 pm

I've received an email from ADAcache today about costs and confirming orders etc.

Parrolet

Australia geocoin

Post by Parrolet » 15 February 06 3:00 pm

ADAcache, I have been trying to email you but my emails keep coming back to me as undeliverable to you.

Check you PM please and email me. Thanks

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 15 February 06 3:28 pm

CENT5 wrote:FunnyNose made a recent visit to AU and dropped a few coins for me and I see they are traveling nicely. 8)

I also sent a set of 3-4 more in my name to snuva who has just recieved them.

It would be highly unlikely for someone to put together a decent collection with coins they found in the wild. How many have you seen? Not many I bet.

I look forward to seeing the new AU coin.
I feel privileged that I am now the proud owner of a Washington Geocoin that Cent5 gave to FunnyNose for a FTF prize in Tassie (I gave the other one away to another coin-tragic).

I have also photographed all of Snuva's coins and placed the photo's on our website:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesypigs ... 062549083/

In over 8 months of caching, we had never come across a geocoin until FunnyNose brought Cent5's coins down (I think one has escaped into the ACT). We are having a blast in Tassie with the ones sent to Snuva :D

I am quite happy to send Cent5 some of the new Aussie coins as thanks for the ones he has already posted down :D

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 15 February 06 6:32 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote: I feel privileged that I am now the proud owner of a Washington Geocoin that Cent5 gave to FunnyNose for a FTF prize in Tassie (I gave the other one away to another coin-tragic).
Hey, I resemble that remark!! Yes big thanks to FunnyNose, Cent5 and the CheesyPigs for our lurverly coin. :)

And another big thankyou to Snuva and Cent5 for an unactivated German coin. It has been activated and it's mission is to visit coin mints before returning home to Tassie. Shall release it in a Tas cache soon. :D :D

Cheers Quilter

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 16 February 06 8:44 am

I've been trying to think of a way for as many Tasmanian cachers as are interested to be ablel to see all the coins CENT5 sent to me before releasing them into the world. Starting a new thread in the Tasmanian section for suggestions. . .

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 17 February 06 10:10 pm

we got our first coin the other day. good buy on ebay. anyway..we didn't want to release it into the wild, so we're going to use it as an event coin. it can still log miles as we go to events and other people have the chance to grab it and add another logo to their trackables page, without us having to completely set it free. lotsa people in New York were doing it that way so the coins didn't end up in collections.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 20 February 06 9:51 am

Can someone please give an update as to where/when/how the Oz coins project is up to?
Can we order yet?

Snuva
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 20 February 06 9:53 am

Zytheran wrote:Can someone please give an update as to where/when/how the Oz coins project is up to?
Can we order yet?
PM ADAcache with your order!

ADAcache
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found

Final call for orders

Post by ADAcache » 23 February 06 3:05 pm

<p>Well as most of you know the coin order is progessing quite rapidly now. I received a file of coin tracking numbers today from groundspeak so the coins can go into production.</P>

<p>The final number of the coins has settled at 600 for those of you who care about how many more may be floating around. However to make up that number I have 45 spare coins. If anyone is interested in buying these but thought they may be to late let me know.</P>

<p>Sorry I was out of action for a little while, my ISP was giving me the S**Ts so I have changed. my new address is <A href="mailto:adacache@internode.on.net?subject=Australian GEOcoin 2006">adacache@internode.on.net</a></p>

<p>I will post a photo of the coin when I receive it from the company, but at this stage I would expect to see them mid to late March.</p>
<br><br>
ADAcache

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Final call for orders

Post by riblit » 05 March 06 9:45 am

ADAcache wrote:

<p>Sorry I was out of action for a little while, my ISP was giving me the S**Ts so I have changed. my new address is <A href="mailto:adacache@internode.on.net?subject=Australian GEOcoin 2006">adacache@internode.on.net</a></p>

ADAcache
That's good 'cause it appears bigpond is blocking mail from optus addresses.

Reporting-MTA: dns; fallbackmx03.syd.optusnet.com.au
Arrival-Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:44:07 +1100

Final-Recipient: RFC822; adacache@bigpond.com.au
Action: delayed
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 451 Mail from this IP address blocked due to DNS block list.
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:34:23 +1100
Will-Retry-Until: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:44:07 +1100