Clarify link between GCA and Geocaching.com

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
time librarian
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Clarify link between GCA and Geocaching.com

Post by time librarian » 06 December 05 2:09 pm

Hi All

Can someone please explain to a newbie what links exist between GCA and geocaching.com? I have been registering all my finds, hides, notes etc on the latter and go there most every day. I am very happy to be here too, and see my Aussie finds registered, but is the information flow all one way? My Aussie finds and hides are copied here, but I see caches mentioned here that are not on the US site. Ideally I would like work in one site but i need to be able to use the US one for international caches without missing out on all the local ones.

Not complaining or denigrating this site - just need some guidance.

Thanks
TL

time librarian
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by time librarian » 06 December 05 2:39 pm

Thinking further... caches posted on GC are copied over to GCA butnot vice versa? Is that right?

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 06 December 05 5:26 pm

yes

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 06 December 05 5:26 pm

time librarian wrote:Thinking further... caches posted on GC are copied over to GCA butnot vice versa? Is that right?
Yes.

Andrew

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 06 December 05 6:07 pm

time librarian wrote:Thinking further... caches posted on GC are copied over to GCA butnot vice versa? Is that right?
Correct.
GC do not let anyone else use what they consider to be "their" cache data, so they do not associate with anyone else, be it CGA or any other listing sites.
That is why you do not see anything but the cache name and co-ords on CGA for GC listed caches.
Anyone acting contrary to this gets a nice letter from the GC lawyers :evil:

The other reason is that duplicating cache listing and logs would dilute the sport and cause even more confusion. Sadly, there is no easy solution to this.

EcoDave :)

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 06 December 05 6:47 pm

GCA started out, initially, as a site that primarily collated statistics of the Australian caching activities on geocaching.com. It was only later that GCA expanded its activities to include the 'hosting' of caches as well.

Team Piggy

Re: Clarify link between GCA and Geocaching.com

Post by Team Piggy » 06 December 05 6:50 pm

time librarian wrote: Ideally I would like work in one site but i need to be able to use the US one for international caches without missing out on all the local ones.
This shouldn't be an issue unless you are planning on doing a lot of O/S trips?
All Aust caches are on GCA anyway.

belken

Post by belken » 06 December 05 9:33 pm

From a different view point.

Geocaching.com is the largest listing of caches in the world. However it is restricted in the type of caches they will list. Ie you won't find battle caches and moveable caches listed on Geocaching.com.

Geocaching Australia will show the available caches in Australia from Geocaching.com as well as those listed locally on Geocaching Australia.

Geocaching.com will list your logs only for their listed caches.
Geocaching Australia will list your logs for caches listed on both sites(albeit at odd times)

You can get GPX downloads of caches listed on Geocaching Australia free.
You will need to become a premium member ay $30.00 US to get the GPX file from Geocaching.com

You can plan your caching from Geocaching Australia that will include all available caches in an area. Then get the information you need from the listing site.

Geocaching.com will give you personal statistics of your caching activity of their listed caches.
Geocaching Australia will give you a multitude of statistics on yourself and others for all your cache finds from either site.

Geocaching Australia will let you talk to most Australian cachers that join the forums. Geocaching.com forums will provide you very little Australian input.

Geocaching .com will list your cache providing you meet all their guidelines. Geocaching Australia does not have guidelines and reviewers and you are free to list any form of cache you want.(The Australian caching community would judge its merit)

There is many more I suppose others can add if they want.

One last observation from me. I have only been caching for 10 months and the sport is continuing to evolve. There is a lot more that this sport will evolve into and there are those that want that and those that donÂ’t. Geocaching Australia was provided by people that want to see it evolve.

May be one more observation. :roll: If you are smart enough to be able to use a GPS and a computer I am sure you can use whatever services are available on the Internet to provide you with a total caching experience. Limit yourself only if you wish to limit your experience.
:P

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 06 December 05 11:02 pm

Team Piggy wrote:
time librarian wrote: Ideally I would like work in one site but i need to be able to use the US one for international caches without missing out on all the local ones.
This shouldn't be an issue unless you are planning on doing a lot of O/S trips?
All Aust caches are on GCA anyway.
<p>I discovered geocaching and found my first geocache via gc.com</p><p>I list all my caches on gc.com (except if I decide to list a non-gc.com type cache - which I haven't yet)</p>
<p>I log all finds of geocaches listed on gc.com on gc.com</p>
<p>I think the $3.00 USD I pay a month for premium membership of gc.com is an <b>absolute bargain</b> for the enjoyment I get from it</p><p>So far, I have found and logged on GCA only one GCA listed cache</p><p>I love the stats, the forum, and the home based geocaching perspective we get on GCA</p><p>YMMV</p>

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 07 December 05 8:21 am

time librarian wrote:Ideally I would like work in one site but i need to be able to use the US one for international caches without missing out on all the local ones.
Penny & I discovered geocaching when we bought the GPS for another purpose.

Our first cache was found via gc.com

I intend to list all my caches on gc.com

I log all finds on gc.com

I think the $30 annual subscription for premium membership of gc.com is an absolute bargain for the enjoyment I get from it

I have not found, and may never find, any GCA caches

I don't care for the statistics and all the other stuff GCA provides, and I rarely visit the site.

The forum however keeps me in touch, and is definitely worth bookmarking for the local content and cameraderie it contains.