What is a good swap?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

What is a good swap?

Post by Fairly Magic » 01 December 05 12:22 pm

Ok, so what is a good thing to leave in a cache? We have swapped a few times and try to trade fairly, but just what is fair? Is it a monetary value? Is it a pleasure value?

We swapped a large item out of a themed cache, so replaced it with a similar sized item, still within theme we thought. Only to have the next finder place a photo of the swaps in their log and the cache owner to then make a comment to please stick to the theme. I was embarrassed - we had obviously done it wrong and been outed for it. Never again!

What is a quality swap? As we cache with kids and a dog, we like to swap toys for both, but this doesn't mean we like to always only have a choice of McToys. Also, the kids are not stupid and at 9 and 11 get peeved when they swap something and then see the same item in the $2 shop in a packet of 6.

And where do you buy your swaps? We've come across caches with mini compasses - where do they come from?

Most of the time, we don't swap, because the item that appeals to us probably has a higher value than our swaps and we don't want to be accused of not trading fairly.

But it has proven to be a thrill to read the cache logs and see that someone has taken our swaps, so we must be getting something right.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 01 December 05 1:21 pm

We buy our stuff from all over the place. At the "Wharehouse" a discount chain in Sydney (And probably all over) you really can buy some not only unsual and unique things, but usefull things for $2 and less etc. We sometimes put stuff in that is weird, but mostly useful where possible.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: What is a good swap?

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 December 05 1:27 pm

Fairly Magic wrote:Ok, so what is a good thing to leave in a cache? We have swapped a few times and try to trade fairly, but just what is fair? Is it a monetary value? Is it a pleasure value?

Most of the time, we don't swap, because the item that appeals to us probably has a higher value than our swaps and we don't want to be accused of not trading fairly.

But it has proven to be a thrill to read the cache logs and see that someone has taken our swaps, so we must be getting something right.
Just do as your conscience dictates - and you will do OK. Just remember you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 01 December 05 1:56 pm

Hey Fairly Magic! As another Hobart cacher, some of the places I buy swaps from these days are Thumbprint, Australia Geographic, Socrates, Habitat, What's New. Chickenfeed is the old option, but I actually don't get much there except their packs of log books. . .I think Tassie geocachers are keeping that line going strong!<P>But having said that. . .when I'm not setting a cache I'm a TNLN person myself. I know families are in it for the swaps and there are other adult cachers who really love quality swaps (like Horus - give him Pez dispensers!), and sometimes I try to gear my swaps to the cachers I know who will be finding it, but personally I'm out for the walk, the views, the clever hides, etc. I only mention that as sometimes people leave a swap in a cache thinking I'll love it. . .and then have been offended when I haven't swapped it out (usually as I didn't have any swaps on me so couldn't swap it out!). I don't know about being outed for not sticking to a theme. . .if the theme was that hard to ascertain. . . :?:

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 01 December 05 2:40 pm

Any old thing will do, you don't have to place exactly matching value. Just keep in mind that if you do take something that is obviously very expensive you should try to leave something of reasonable value in return.

Looting a cache means taking something and leaving nothing in return but even this is acceptable if the value of the item isn't really that high or is of more sentimetal value instead.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 4:23 pm

Hi

I often get things from eBay as well.

Andrew

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 December 05 4:45 pm

If I am travelling outside my local area - especially overseas - will try to stock up on some local souveniry things to throw in. Keyrings, pens, stickers are all good and can fit in all but micro caches. If I am travelling will try to grab a few souvenirs to bring back as well.

Depending on your job you may find a lot of old marketing paraphernalia as well. We have a bit from companies we no longer distribute for or logos have changed and we can't use it any more. Little stuff like paperweights or calculators come to mind.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 01 December 05 7:20 pm

I once met a guy who told me he got a new toaster for his wife. He said that was a good swap. :D :D :D

<p>Disclaimer:
<br>Rabbitto does not encourage the trading of family members for household appliances. The above one liner is intended as fiction only and any resemblence to any person living or dead is purely coincedental. Wives do not make good cache swaps. They are generally too large to fit into most modern cache containers.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 December 05 7:29 pm

Rabbitto wrote:<p>Disclaimer:
<br>Rabbitto does not encourage the trading of family members for household appliances. The above one liner is intended as fiction only and any resemblence to any person living or dead is purely coincedental. Wives do not make good cache swaps. They are generally too large to fit into most modern cache containers.
You never saw my Sand on Track cache, EcoDave found a wife in that.....

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 01 December 05 9:01 pm

<P>The value of swaps is very much in the eye of the beholder (or next swapper!). One of our most memorable swaps (at least for my 5 y.o. son) was a bag of wishing stones.

<P>I generally only put in new items. The $2 Shop, camping stores, Socrates etc come to mind. For the 1/1's frequented by kids, I will try and swap something of interest for kids, the higher rated caches tend to be less frequented by kids, so I will try and leave something for the more mature cacher (mature being a relative term , of course :)

<P>If it is a themed cache, I try and stick with the theme if possible.

<P>When caching interstate (I haven't made it overseas.... yet!), I will use magnets, keyrings etc from "home".

<P>See HydroFlares website at http://www.axtsystems.com/hydroflare/goodies.html for some good ideas. :)

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 01 December 05 11:43 pm

Did someone mention the <a href="http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Swaps">wiki</a>?

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 02 December 05 8:42 am

Thanks for your input everyone. It has been interesting. I started this thread as a kind of off shoot from the other discussions about tnln logs. Everyone has their own reasons for caching, for some it is the hunt, others it's the walk, others it's the swaps.

We are a mixed bag, we love finding the boxes of goodies, and seeing what is in there. We have also realised we don't have to swap to enjoy. We are also taking note of the caches we enjoy the most so we can hide our own that hopefully will offer others similar fun.

As the caching community grows so will the choices people make about how they choose to play. We have a caching backpack that is gradually being filled with all sorts of goodies. Spare log books, pens, ziplock bags and swaps.

Again, thanks for the input, I will raise my glass in a toast to you all tomorrow as we all party at the various Christmas Event Caches.

Cheers Quilter

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 02 December 05 4:28 pm

swampgecko wrote: You never saw my Sand on Track cache, EcoDave found a wife in that.....

Question :?: Do you have to rub anything for this to happen,hehe :?: :?:

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 20 December 05 1:29 pm

alpha993 wrote:<P>When caching interstate (I haven't made it overseas.... yet!), I will use magnets, keyrings etc from "home".

<P>See HydroFlares website at http://www.axtsystems.com/hydroflare/goodies.html for some good ideas. :)
Can't beat the hoard of boomerang and kangaroo keyrings that can be picked up at the airport souvenir shops on the way out. <br>
We left a pile of these in caches over Ireland earlier this year.
<p>
Hydroflare

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 20 December 05 3:15 pm

Mr Router wrote:
swampgecko wrote: You never saw my Sand on Track cache, EcoDave found a wife in that.....

Question :?: Do you have to rub anything for this to happen,hehe :?: :?:
Yeah.
And if you rub the right way the cache item turns into this: :wink:

EcoDave :)