Conspicuous Consumption and the case for TNLN

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Re: Traditions are subject to change

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 3:30 pm

zactyl wrote:
Mind Socket wrote:Swapping up, in particular, sounds like a good idea, but the net effect is more consumption for the sake of it.
Trading up is a great idea, until someone else comes along and takes the great stuff you've left and leaves 50 cents worth of junk. That's pretty disappointing.
It is disappointing, but I guess you know you have done the right thing. The karma is all yours.

I try to not let a few bad apples stop me doing the right thing for those who enjoy same.

To me, swapping is giving a little back in the game for the next cacher. The owner gives something, I give something, others give something, it all goes around making the whole experience that much better.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Andrew

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 01 December 05 5:05 pm

Geodes wrote: Maybe we need a poll on this subject :roll:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... c&start=15

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 01 December 05 5:08 pm

I have been TNLN for a very long time now, unless im introducing somebody to the game. It equals a few things, No problems with unfair swaps. As I pick something and some items I hav no idea what its worth and the next email I get is a complaint of unfair trading. No need to carry an extra bag on me while out caching. Less to remember when writing an online log. Less costly, and I have no use to swap any toys as I dont have nay kids and will never use them.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 05 6:00 pm

xf king wrote:Less costly, and I have no use to swap any toys as I dont have nay kids and will never use them.
Come on. You can use those marbles in slingshots. They make great holes in the neighbours windows. Even neighbours a dozen streets away :-) Or that danm cat who loves to poop in the garden. One zing with a slingshot marble and they won't be back :-)

This is all in jest for the humour impaired.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 01 December 05 7:31 pm

/Rant Hat On

We always endeavour to make sure there are a variety of items in our cache for all age groups.

When we go to Mcd's, because we have an 8 yr old who likes the toys, we'll usually buy an extra or two. Believe it or not, but some people will pay money to collect the whole lot of a Mcd's toy set...we figure the toys are good for those with families- its a way to keep kids interested....after all...they will be the ones caching when we're dead and gone!

We also stocked our cache with some more grown up items, like carabiners (sp??), mini screwdriver sets, torches and the like...and I think we've even been known to cater for the 'mum'....with some of those spongey thingys (wish I could remember the name!) being dropped in caches, along with bubble bath and the like.

We have NEVER put in anything that has been used or is not new in its packet, as thats just not what we see as good form.

And recently I dropped in some specially made cards that mean the picker upperer (yes I think thats the technical term!! :lol: ) can redeem some christmas goodies...like shortbread, gingerbread and some other yummies! So far a success!

I think that TNLN is maybe used more by those who don't have kids and who cache either singularly or as a couple...just my opinion of course.

I have never felt that its about the numbers- so I think removing 'swaps' would make for a boring sport. I wouldn't want to be only hunting micros- I think the mix of different cache types is necessary to keep the sport alive and interesting- especially to the younger generation.

Think about it- how many doctors and scientists claim that we're one big fat nation? How many people complain their kids are sitting around the house watching tv or playing nintendo (or other like game system)??
We have a brilliant sport, with involvement space for the entire family...why not try and keep the younger ones involved?

Marie

/End of giant rant...
*edit note* correction made

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 7:56 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:
We have NEVER put in anything that has been used or is not new in its packet, as thats just not what we see as good form.
I do sometimes put used things in. I have a used Palm to go in a cache for example (and it works, but the battery does not hold charge for long). I thought someone might want to play with it. I also might have another fully working one for a cache FTF prize, so I think second hand is sometimes okay.

With new stuff, I often remove the wrapping to fit them, e.g., placed a cache today with a Palm cable (USB to Palm I think it was) and a watch in it. Both brand new but I removed the packaging. I also have some Palm covers for future caches, again I will remove the packaging just because with the packaging they are big for most caches.

BTW I am with TRD, Hound Dog et al on this.

Regards
Andrew

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 01 December 05 8:07 pm

I do sometimes put used things in.
When I said used...I should have been more specific...I was referring to old rusty peices of crap, or something thats on its last legs as a functional item, or something thats pretty much dead.

:-)

Clarifying in agreeance with Aushiker :)

Marie

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 8:15 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:When I said used...I should have been more specific...I was referring to old rusty peices of crap, or something thats on its last legs as a functional item, or something thats pretty much dead.
I know what you mean ... saw something in a cache today ... it was basically just rubbish really IMO.

Regards
Andrew

ZED!
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 01 December 05 8:16 pm

I think my view on TNLN was well documanted yesterday, I have no problems with swapping/trading being an aspect of this game, my kids love swapping/trading but I rarely do it as it's not for me unless I actually feel like it at the time or I have a purpose in mind. Even though I personally don't see a point to swapping it doesn't mean I advocate doing away with it and it should just be viewed as personal choice and not be raised as an issue as each of us have different goals/reasons for and get something different out of Geocaching.<br>
I look at the swaps and have made a couple of entries in my logs about the great goodies within because I think "what a great cache, others are going to appreciate this one", but I still TNLN.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 01 December 05 9:56 pm

caughtatwork wrote: Come on. You can use those marbles in slingshots. They make great holes in the neighbours windows. Even neighbours a dozen streets away :-) Or that danm cat who loves to poop in the garden. One zing with a slingshot marble and they won't be back :-)

This is all in jest for the humour impaired.
Hmm a good idea, but I have a better weapon for the neighbours. A 6 Inch Air Nail gun in the back of my garage.. PERRFEECCTT..

Geodes

Re: Bah humbug.

Post by Geodes » 01 December 05 11:08 pm

Pesky! wrote:P.s. anyone thinking of doing any of my caches and TNLNSL let me know I'll save you the effort and let you log a find without going there! I'd hate for you to go out of you way to "pay something back" to the sport you all say you love so much"
<P>So much bad Karma :(

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 01 December 05 11:09 pm

<p>Pesky and Houndog can talk about the good old days when every one traded up and nobody TNLN</p>
<p><i>Well, of course, we had it tough! We used to have to get up out of the shoebox in the middle of the night, and lick the road clean with our tongues! We had to eat half a handful of freezing cold gravel, work twenty-four hours a day at mill for four pence every six years, and when we got home, our dad would slice us in two with a breadknife!</i>:P<p>
<p>The reality is that we're no longer in the good old days. More often than not I TNLN. If I don't TNLN, it's more common for me to leave something and not take anything (I do however have a particular hatred for old golf balls left in caches - if there's one in there, it'll soon be in the bin after I find the cache :evil: )</p>
Pesky! wrote:<p>its like saying you dont give presents to adults at christmas time because its a kids thing. then secretly crying when no one gives you a present Bah humbug.</p>

<p>lets see how long this sport lasts and how often geocachers visit a cache that is an empty container with only a scrap of paper and a pencil.</p>

<p>lets see how the next event goes with a bunch of empty containers left in the bush!</p>
<p>I'd rather find a well hidden cache containing just a logbook, than one filled with old golf balls, mouldy McHappy toys, and obsolete computer parts</p>
Pesky! wrote: P.s. anyone thinking of doing any of my caches and TNLNSL let me know I'll save you the effort and let you log a find without going there! I'd hate for you to go out of you way to "pay something back" to the sport you all say you love so much"
<p>Thanks for the offer, some may very well take you up on it to increase their stats, but I won't. I'd rather find them, I'm in it for the hunt and the find, not the thirty pieces of silver :) </p>

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 01 December 05 11:15 pm

nobodyZ wrote: I look at the swaps and have made a couple of entries in my logs about the great goodies within because I think "what a great cache, others are going to appreciate this one", but I still TNLN.
<P>
I love nothing more then finding a large cache with great swaps in it, but i still TNLN its just the satisfaction of finding a cache that has had a bit of effort put into it by its owner.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 01 December 05 11:23 pm

It's not talking about the good old days and living in the past at all. On the contrary, I'm talking about preserving the future of the sport so that other potential starters don't see it as a boring hunt for a few scaps of paper shoved inside a fiim cannister and nothing else.

As hard as it may be for some people to swallow, the reality is that Geoccahing is as much about the swaps as it is about the hunt. It may be OK to pass it off as horses for courses but at the end of the day the colour of the sport is being tarished by laziness in a lot of cases.

The sport of Geocaching has and IS often likened to high tech treasure hunting. I would like to see it preserved with all the traditions and not railroaded by a bunch of people who don't want to participate in the game, but still want to score the goals.