Debate 9 - Will Waymarking Take Off?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Waymarking looks like more fun than a Barrel of Caches

Strongly Agree
2%
Agree
2%
No Difference
12%
Disagree
45%
Strongly Disagree
40%

Total votes: 65

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 30 November 05 9:01 pm

nobodyZ wrote:I'm a TNLN finder, I'm more interested in the getting out of the house and exercising/finding than the swapping (really, what's the point?).
Interesting question ... makes one wonder why put a box there at all then :D Just the coordiantes would do the trick no or a waymark :D.

Andrew

ZED!
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 30 November 05 9:33 pm

Aushiker wrote:Interesting question ... makes one wonder why put a box there at all then :D Just the coordiantes would do the trick no or a waymark :D.

Andrew
<br>Obviously to hold the log book :roll: say a film cannister with a log book? what a novel idea :twisted: <br>
<br>Seriously though, strange thing really, if there wasn't a log book to sign, I wouldn't go there. :D <br>
Personal choice if one chooses not to totally participate in the swapping game, I can not see why it would be an issue. As I stated before, my kids do it, they love swapping but I rarely bother, the thrill of the hunt is all I need but I still need to actually _find_ something.<br>
<br>
Btw, you may gather my vote is for the negative, I won't be participating in Waymarking.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 30 November 05 11:48 pm

nobodyZ wrote: <br>Seriously though, strange thing really, if there wasn't a log book to sign, I wouldn't go there. :D <br>
Personal choice if one chooses not to totally participate in the swapping game, I can not see why it would be an issue.
I guess I look at this way. As cache owner, I generally go to some trouble to put a cache together with some reasonable stuff in it. If folks are not interested in swapping, then I wonder why I bother doing that. Might just as easily put out an empty container or not bother at all.

I don't see it as just being about the finder ... the owner is part of the game as well ... takes two :-)

I have one cache planned which is going to be a must swap cache to log it ... novel idea I know :-)

Andrew

ZED!

Post by ZED! » 01 December 05 12:10 am

Aushiker wrote: I guess I look at this way. As cache owner, I generally go to some trouble to put a cache together with some reasonable stuff in it. If folks are not interested in swapping, then I wonder why I bother doing that. Might just as easily put out an empty container or not bother at all.

I don't see it as just being about the finder ... the owner is part of the game as well ... takes two :-)

I have one cache planned which is going to be a must swap cache to log it ... novel idea I know :-)

Andrew
And most geocachers will take part and appreciate the quality of your original contents but the point of placing a cache is usually the location or thrill of the hunt(mystery/puzzles) isn't it? Some of the cache owners I've spoken to like reading about the adventure getting there. I can see you prescribe to a different view, so be it.<br>
<br>
If you have a must swap cache, then I'll probably do a swap if it was worth the hunt (if the kids are with me they carry swaps anyway), otherwise I'll simply leave a note saying I was there. <br>
After all, it's not all about the smileys. :lol:

ZED!

Post by ZED! » 01 December 05 12:19 am

That reminds me, I still have a spoon collected from B****r thats deep to take up to Spoon Cache#2. See, I do swaps, just not all the time. Well, in this case, relocate as I won't be taking anything away from SC#2.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 12:36 am

nobodyZ wrote:
Some of the cache owners I've spoken to like reading about the adventure getting there. I can see you prescribe to a different view, so be it:
Ahh, I didn't say that ... I just commented on the swaps thing .... the story or adventure is important to. Nice to get some feedback on the cache. Don't disagree on that point at all.

As you say, each to their own ... I will continue to swap/add things but not take away as I see fit, you will, no doubt continue to find and leave a good log. Seems fair to me :-)

Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 12:48 am

nobodyZ wrote:
Some of the cache owners I've spoken to like reading about the adventure getting there. I can see you prescribe to a different view, so be it:
Ahh, I didn't say that ... I just commented on the swaps thing .... the story or adventure is important to. Nice to get some feedback on the cache. Don't disagree on that point at all.

As you say, each to their own ... I will continue to swap/add things but not take away as I see fit, you will, no doubt continue to find and leave a good log. Seems fair to me :-)

Andrew

ZED!

Post by ZED! » 01 December 05 12:53 am

Good to hear, I like logging a good story.<br>
<br>btw a little off topic, (and nil swaps in this cache for obvious reasons :lol: )<br>
Jerramin<br>
October 6 by Aushiker (145 found)<br>
Called in to replace the log, but couldn't find the cache. No sign of it near its original location. Will get a new holder and replace it next week. <br>
<br>
I think your week's up. :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 December 05 2:20 am

nobodyZ wrote:That reminds me, I still have a spoon collected from B****r thats deep to take up to Spoon Cache#2. See, I do swaps, just not all the time. Well, in this case, relocate as I won't be taking anything away from SC#2.
Bugger isn't a swear word! :P

ZED!

Post by ZED! » 01 December 05 2:24 am

I know, but that's the geocache's name.<br>
B****r that's Deep!!!
by Ian & Sue Team : Pathfinder<br>
I actually thought it said Brrrrr when I first saw it. lol

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 December 05 2:29 am

Ah, fair enough then! I thought for a moment that maybe the forum had a swearword censor! :shock:

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 01 December 05 3:02 am

Gee if you wanted to do that you should have just asked: http://www.google.com/base

You missed the point about 'a single point of failure'...

(I originally started to write about the geocaching-over-usenet idea, but for the sake of everyone in the forum :-) I posted it here instead: http://kildall.apana.org.au/~cjb/wordpr ... or-web-30/ )

!mike

Post by !mike » 01 December 05 11:21 am

Interesting thread. Noticed a comment (and in other threads) to the effect that if there is no physical cache why go there.

Well...
I have a physical cache and a waymark at the same place.
In the past month, 19 cachers have found the cache but no one has logged the waymark.
As far as I can tell, there is no easy way to find what waymarks are near me. The search by postcode failed (for me at least) and I cannot get a PQ of waymarks.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCR43E

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/deta ... 08ab8032a5

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 01 December 05 11:45 am

nobodyZ wrote: October 6 by Aushiker (145 found)<br>
Called in to replace the log, but couldn't find the cache. No sign of it near its original location. Will get a new holder and replace it next week. <br>
<br>
I think your week's up. :D
Thanks for the offer, that is very kind of you, but can I take a rain check on this one and hold you to one I can't get to?

I am actually hoping to get there today all going well to fix it up, but was looking at changing it to small or offset cache. I am going off micros. I also need to check again on Walking the Plank. That one is becoming a pain!

Thanks again for your kind offer.

Much appreciated.

Andrew

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 01 December 05 5:12 pm

Hmm just read this site, it is interesting, I would be in it for a while but I dont think it would interest me as long as Geocaching has.