Debate 9 - Will Waymarking Take Off?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Waymarking looks like more fun than a Barrel of Caches

Strongly Agree
2%
Agree
2%
No Difference
12%
Disagree
45%
Strongly Disagree
40%

Total votes: 65

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Debate 9 - Will Waymarking Take Off?

Post by Rabbitto » 29 November 05 10:14 pm

Just had another look at www.waymarking.com

On one hand you may think pinpointing Payphones, Lincoln Highway Markers and Candy Factories may be a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

On the other hand maybe you'd rather be doing anything but.

Does this site look like fun to you?

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 29 November 05 10:15 pm

now if it were just trigpointing, i could see myself doing that...

ideology

Post by ideology » 29 November 05 10:16 pm

think of the valuable database he's going to build up! he could sell that for a fortune!

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 30 November 05 9:29 am

Although If You Where Traveling With Kids A Database of Toilets :lol: Would be Handy as we get just after we have left a town " I have to go to the Toilet" :oops:

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 30 November 05 9:40 am

PostmanPat wrote:Although If You Where Traveling With Kids A Database of Toilets :lol: Would be Handy as we get just after we have left a town " I have to go to the Toilet" :oops:
http://www.toiletmap.gov.au

Destinator (and probably most other navigation programs) also has toilets as a points of interest database, so you can navigate to the nearest one (very handy).

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 November 05 9:55 am

I thought in the spirit of things I would create some waypoints for Adelaide. None of them have been logged though. Which shows there isn't much interest here.

I am also managing a campgrounds category which I thought would be a good database, but mainly it has been 1 or 2 people in the USA who have generated a few waypoints and scant other interest.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 30 November 05 10:18 am

While locationless caches made for a bit of a diversion and added a bit of variety to regular caching, I don't think they have enough intrinsic interest to survive alone, and I don't think I'll bother checking the waymark site for categories to log.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 30 November 05 12:01 pm

ideology wrote:think of the valuable database he's going to build up! he could sell that for a fortune!
You mean the one he populated from existing premium users without asking? :wink:

EcoDave :)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 November 05 12:28 pm

I was thrilled to see waymarking.com arrive, and my only gripe is that all the locationless and virtual "caches" weren't immediately moved there from gc.com.

At last, the silly things are all in one place where I can safely ignore them and get on with actual geocaching!

(Have I mentioned before that I'm a bit of a cache snob when it comes to "caches" without caches? :roll: )

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 30 November 05 1:44 pm

Bear_Left wrote:(Have I mentioned before that I'm a bit of a cache snob when it comes to "caches" without caches? :roll: )
Yes :D

BTW I have the same gripe about TNLN finders .... makes me wonder why bother finding a real cache. Also makes me wonder why I take some effort to put things in a cache in the first place.

Getting back on topic, I play on waymarking.com. Adds to my game, but I must admit I think some of the categories or proposed categories are silly at best.

Andrew

ZED!
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 30 November 05 4:01 pm

I'm a TNLN finder, I'm more interested in the getting out of the house and exercising/finding than the swapping (really, what's the point?). I leave that to my kids when they accompany me. Anyway I travel light, no need for backpack, GPSr clips to belt, iPAQ in top pocket with pen/pencil (or clips to belt if I have pocketless shirt). <br>
Although I do have a GCA virtual (spur of the moment thing) I'm not really interested in virtual/locationless/earth/event/webcam caches.

Cached

Post by Cached » 30 November 05 5:39 pm

Checking the new 'guidelines' - appears webcams have gone too :(

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 30 November 05 5:44 pm

Bah, the Microsoft of Geocaching has used their size to dump on another potential unlimited public sport... For the past few months I've been working on modifing a Java-based newsreader so the Usenet system can be used to create a decentralized "Points Of Interest" publishing/logging platform which isn't vunerable to 'a single point of failure', but this is going to make it harder to introduce now... :-/

After the initial rush of finding caches, I fell back into using geocaching as a means go out and find interesting places-- I would have never have located the three tunnels of the Richmond Vale Railway (an abandoned private railway line in the Hunter Valley area) without the 'practice' given by going caching.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 30 November 05 5:56 pm

c.j.b wrote: For the past few months I've been working on modifing a Java-based newsreader so the Usenet system can be used to create a decentralized "Points Of Interest" publishing/logging platform which isn't vunerable to 'a single point of failure', but this is going to make it harder to introduce now... :-/
Gee if you wanted to do that you should have just asked: http://www.google.com/base

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 30 November 05 8:17 pm

:D Waymark all the McCafe's :shock: