Cost and Simplicity to Startup

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Crankyfranky

Cost and Simplicity to Startup

Post by Crankyfranky » 27 November 05 9:19 pm

HeyThere!

I've heard about Geocaching in the media a few times and it really interests me. I'm just starting to enjoy the Australian bushland, but basically i'm a lazy bugger who hates exercise for the most part... I need a purpose and the sense of achievement just isnt' enough, but hey, i reckon a treasure hunt sounds like much more fun!

I'm also about to move states for a couple of months, and then overseas next year so it's an interest I can take with me.

So... I have a pretty good idea of what it is I need to get started - a PDA of some kind, a GPS reciever and do i need any special navigation software?

A friend is able to give me their copy of Destinator - is that suitable to use?

What are your thoughts on second hand units? And is the Palm M500 too low end a unit to take a GPS, and the destinator software? (My friend is willing to give me one of those).

I'm sorry for asking questions a million other newbies have before me...

Thanks,
Crankyfranky (who isn't normally very cranky)

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 27 November 05 9:36 pm

Go here and here :!:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 27 November 05 9:40 pm

All you need is access to the internet to find out where the caches are, some geocachers don't even use a GPS :lol:
That said, a basic setup would consist of a cheap GPS (such as an Etrex, ~$160) and an internet enabled computer with a printer to print out cache pages. From there you could add a data cable and waypoint management software so you don't have to enter each waypoint individually into your GPS, and a PDA so you don't have to print out individual cache pages. By now you've found out you're hooked, so sell your Etrex and upgrade to a mapping GPS and get some Mapping Software, such as OziExplorer or DiscoverAus. Destinator looks to be Navigation Software, rather than Mapping Software intended to interface with a GPS for waypoint and map downloading, but if it's free I'm sure you'll get some value out of it. :wink:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 27 November 05 9:44 pm

rhinogeo wrote:Go here and here :!:
Can we get a (pronounced "geocayshing") added to that wiki page?! 8)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 November 05 9:55 pm

zactyl wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:Go here and here :!:
Can we get a (pronounced "geocayshing") added to that wiki page?! 8)
trying to cause trouble? 8)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 November 05 9:40 am

zactyl wrote: Can we get a (pronounced "geocayshing") added to that wiki page?! 8)

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Geocaching has the following :
But caching (pronounced by most Australians as "cay-shing" - not the American "cash-ing").....................
So it's all been covered :wink:

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 28 November 05 11:24 am

The cheapest way to do Geocaching :!:

Don't buy a GPS, just borrow one from a friend, then knock off one of his beers :twisted: while using his computer to look up a really close by Geocache. Walk to the cach, log your find, (Of course don't forget to do a TNLN) then return the GPS to your friend.
Before you leave his house, knock off another one of his beers :twisted: and use his computer to log your find. Easy and cheap.
I challenge anyone to find a cheaper way than this. :wink:

Crankyfranky

Post by Crankyfranky » 28 November 05 2:50 pm

Well, that sounds great, except i don't know anyone wtih GPS and I have no idea what a TNLN is and i find this site really confusing at the moment i'm afraid...

BUT - Thanks so much for all of your responses and I'll do a bit more reading on the Wiki and try to un-confuzzle myself!

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 28 November 05 3:25 pm

No worries Franky

Not having a go at you, just using a bit of the old Houndog humour. :D

Just look around the site and use the links given above and you will soon get a feel for what is going on.

We're a mad bunch sometimes, but always friendly to newcomers. If you have any questions just ask here, and in amongst my silly responses you should find plenty of usefull replies. 8)

BTW TNLN stands for.....Took Nothing Left Nothing. A lazy way of Geocaching that seems to have become more common in the last few years, much to the disgust of purists such as yours truly. :(

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 28 November 05 3:44 pm

Hounddog wrote: BTW TNLN stands for.....Took Nothing Left Nothing. A lazy way of Geocaching that seems to have become more common in the last few years, much to the disgust of purists such as yours truly. :(
For geocachers on a budget, TNLN seems preferable to the practice of moving swaps from one cache to another.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 28 November 05 3:46 pm

Crankyfranky wrote:I'll do a bit more reading on the Wiki and try to un-confuzzle myself!
<p>Another good resource is the Geocaching University </p>

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Cost and Simplicity to Startup

Post by EcoTeam » 29 November 05 8:12 am

Crankyfranky wrote:HeyThere!

I've heard about Geocaching in the media a few times and it really interests me. I'm just starting to enjoy the Australian bushland, but basically i'm a lazy bugger who hates exercise for the most part... I need a purpose and the sense of achievement just isnt' enough, but hey, i reckon a treasure hunt sounds like much more fun!

I'm also about to move states for a couple of months, and then overseas next year so it's an interest I can take with me.

So... I have a pretty good idea of what it is I need to get started - a PDA of some kind, a GPS reciever and do i need any special navigation software?

A friend is able to give me their copy of Destinator - is that suitable to use?

What are your thoughts on second hand units? And is the Palm M500 too low end a unit to take a GPS, and the destinator software? (My friend is willing to give me one of those).

I'm sorry for asking questions a million other newbies have before me...

Thanks,
Crankyfranky (who isn't normally very cranky)
You don't need anything but a basic GPS to enjoy caching. PDA's and mapping software etc can enhance the enjoyment, but in reality they aren't essential and won't really help you find caches any faster.
Some of the top cachers with thousands of finds still do not use a PDA or any mapping software.

However, having software to download the cache co-ordinates into your GPS unit will save you oodles of time.

For most basic traditional caches (and simple multis) you don't need the cache listing, just the co-ordinates in your GPS.

The Palm M500 is more than enough to hold all the cache sheets you need if you want to go "paperless" caching.

GSAK is the software most cachers use to manage and download their caching info.

EcoDave :)

el golco
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by el golco » 29 November 05 10:33 am

Hi there CrankyFranky.
I also have very little idea what that lot above are talking about re IT stuff and I have found 96 caches and hidden 9 since starting not so long ago and I use only a Garmin e-trex, a pencil, and a paper download of the cache information! :D
Admittedly this means I have been known to set off on an expedition with as many as 32 sheets of A4 clipped together. I'll also admit that it can cause a bit of backtracking when I realise that I have passed a cache unknowingly. :o
If there's time before leaving home I have a look at LIST (the Tas govt on-line map service-no doubt your state govt has one too ) to get an idea of where the co-ords will take me.
BUT, the more I read in the forum, the more I could be convinced that one of those little palm thingys could be the go, maybe?..... :?
And having said that I have now let myself in for an inundation of toy showing off at the Christmas Event on Saturday........oh well...
Give it a go CrankyFranky, you won't find a better way to get out and about in the great outdoors and you'll go a long way to find a more welcoming and friendlier bunch of people than Geocachers.
GOOD LUCK, el golco :wink:

Crankyfranky

Post by Crankyfranky » 29 November 05 10:24 pm

I just want to leave a quick thanks for all of your thoughts. I appreciate time is valuable... I've been reading up on more of this during my lunch break, and i think i'm doing ok at getting my head around things. Will continue to do some more research, but honestly, the more i read, the more excited i get.

Thankyou.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 30 November 05 8:31 am

If you ever want to team up with another cacher for a day's outing, just put out a request in the forums,... we are a friendly bunch and normally more than willing to help out