Would a geocacher really do this?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Doc71

Post by Doc71 » 24 November 05 9:53 pm

It is one of the most sensless acts that i have seen. for some idiot to do this and effect an entire caching community disheartens me. I refuse to become a premium member of GC.com choosing to keep my money on shore. however the debate that I assume has been raised before is , will incidents like this effect the motto of "free and open caching"? personally if paying money to GCA to view a cache stops idiots like this one i'm happy to move to "restricted and paid for caching"
Last edited by Doc71 on 24 November 05 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 24 November 05 9:55 pm

I doubt that $3/mo stops an A-hole being an A-hole.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 24 November 05 9:58 pm

Doc71 wrote:personally if paying money to view a cache stops idiots like this one i'm happy to move to "restricted and paid for caching"
It won't, and that's the silly thing about it.
It would probably be better for Tangles to caches on CGA instead of making them Premium, such an idiot is (statistically speaking) less likely to see a GCA cache than a GC Premium cache.

BTW, I'm not baging Tangles, juts passing comment, he has every right to do what he pleases with his cache listings.

EcoDave :)

Doc71

Post by Doc71 » 24 November 05 9:59 pm

Cached wrote:I doubt that $3/mo stops an A-hole being an A-hole.

you could be right. but it might turn off someone surfing,registering and then going out to senslessly destroy previously pristine areas. for the hell of it. especially if all caches were member only.

Doc71

Post by Doc71 » 24 November 05 10:04 pm

Isn't it sad that a group of like minded outdoor loving people who wish to impose on no one are reduced to debating if or how our community should be regulated.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 24 November 05 10:39 pm

EcoTeam wrote: It won't, and that's the silly thing about it.
It would probably be better for Tangles to caches on CGA instead of making them Premium, such an idiot is (statistically speaking) less likely to see a GCA cache than a GC Premium cache.

<p>
I think that is very true, GCA caches get a lot less hits and the people that get them usually seem to be the serious cachers.
<P>
all you have to do is look next to the users name and see the trends

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 24 November 05 10:50 pm

Mix wrote:Never under-estimate where a bored teen will turn up and what crap they will do there. It may not have been a geocacher. If it was well they are a dick but, IÂ’d say the chance is more 50/50 of a non caching prick.
Remember how YOU found the spot you hid the cache?
same reason for a non cacher to be there also. everytime i go bush i pass many muggles and i'm sure none of them are cachers, only once have i come across fellow cachers. the thousands of other's ive passed were just muggles like i used to be only a few months ago

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 25 November 05 12:12 am

Given that the start up cost of caching is well into the hundreds and in some cases thousands (good GPS, home computer, internet access and maybe a PDA) I doubt that premium membership restrictions mean zip.

I signed up as a premium member within days of doing my first cache and bought a pda less than 48 hours after that. I just didn't want to carry folders of A4 around and figured I was hooked already anyway.

I wouldn't exclude a cacher doing it but would think it extremely unlikely given the many cachers I have met in the past 2 years.

I'd put my money each way on the dumb muggles.

DJ

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 25 November 05 10:33 am

:( :( In the picture it looks close enough to the ground for a dog / fox to get it. The cache listing has a dogs allowed icon on it. It also looks dark enough to, if you had no torch, bump into it accedently.
How could anyone do this intentionaly :shock: . I supose there are some sickoes that may :evil: .
Lets just hope that we don't see a cache at THE Wollemi Pine :wink: .

I seem to remember Tangles requesting that none of his caches appear on GCA in any shape or form :? .

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 25 November 05 10:38 am

It's approx 5 feet off the ground, maybe more, and quite light/bright in there, Tangles did not mention dog prints at all.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 25 November 05 6:22 pm

Geof wrote::( :( In the picture it looks close enough to the ground for a dog / fox to get it. The cache listing has a dogs allowed icon on it. It also looks dark enough to, if you had no torch, bump into it accedently.
How could anyone do this intentionaly :shock: . I supose there are some sickoes that may :evil: .
Lets just hope that we don't see a cache at THE Wollemi Pine :wink:
Canyoning trip to Jurassic canyon anyone? :P
I seem to remember Tangles requesting that none of his caches appear on GCA in any shape or form :? .
That's news to me, where was that comment made?

Mix

Post by Mix » 25 November 05 6:51 pm

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 25 November 05 11:07 pm

I said in my log that people need to be careful as the nest was in a position that was all to easy to knock. Particularly if you were backing out of the lair. <p>
It could have been kids as I did notice the remanents of a rock cairn on the fire trail in spot that was an obvious exit to the cache area. <p>
Hopefully Tangles was just letting off steam, losing his caches to "members only" would be a great pity. <p>
I have to admit I felt like an intruder when I was doing the cache. This is a very sad turn of events.
<p>
Mike (Pi)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 November 05 1:25 am

:oops: Bastards! :oops:

Bronze.

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 27 November 05 10:25 am

hi fellas, sorry to hear about the nest. I had a recent similar dilemma when out caching we found a special critter home - now not really exciting for some but cool for kids and visitors to view carefully. Declined to share coords with others on GC taking the path just in case..... but there exists a postal letterbox sytem where special boxes are signed up for, the numbers are limited - and you have an on the ground address. It's free - not pay per view, you can set whatever membership requirements you like - much safer imho than using the almighty credit card as your guide to who is reliable.
I'm sure GA could set up a similar system - or you can just do it privately with a ring of caching e-friends.