sharps disposal units could be mistaken for caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

sharps disposal units could be mistaken for caches

Post by Cheesy pigs » 21 November 05 11:06 pm

We have noticed over the past few weeks that some cachers are finding 'caches' that look like this:

If you find a cache like this PLEASE DO NOT OPEN IT!!!

This is what's known as a 'FitPack' that injecting drug users (and some diabetics) use to discard used needles and syringes. They look like perfect cache containers, but aren't. They have been found in a lot of urban cache areas, and should be avoided.

Rather than touch them yourselves, please ring the police or local council if you find any, and they will remove them.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 21 November 05 11:25 pm

Good & scary post.

I know if I found a container like that I'd think for sure it was the cache. (Except for the yellow one with warning written on it)

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 22 November 05 12:11 am

After finding a regular cache in a small park near Parramatta, we found one of these containers. After opening it we realised what it was so removed it to a suitable place (our rubbish bin). I'm not sure if it had been used or not.

While we had no particular desire to touch it, it had been clearly visible to us, so local kids would most likely have found it as well. We had to do something with it, so removal was the obvious choice.

CITO can happen almost anywhere :D

Wayne

elmofreak
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by elmofreak » 22 November 05 12:18 am

hmm found one of them in the hunter valley while cache hunting - didn't find the cache either!!:(
<p>
Picked it up.. saw the writing on it, and promptly threw it back where i found it and stepped away and gave up the hunt (the bullants had already started eating me, enough was enough..)
<p>
Probably should have moved it to a bin, but was a tad freaked out by it.. and the ants were attacking.. :(

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 22 November 05 12:22 am

One of the reasons that these containers exist, apart from protecting people from sharp objects, is so that they can be taken to a proper disposal site.

Disposing it in just any rubbish bin shouldn't be done as that means that it would end up in the normal disposal sites defeating the purpose.

If you happen to pick one up and don't like to take it to a Police station then ask the nearest hospital or pharmacy to dispose of it with their sharp waste products.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 22 November 05 7:53 am

We almost DNF a cache because we initially mistook it for a sharps disposal unit :shock: it was not until we had made a phone call and had our suspicions allayed that we were game to retrieve it. :?

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 22 November 05 8:05 am

<caching hat off> <nurse/policeman hats on>

They shouldn't be picked up at all. Sometimes needles can go through the black plastic (I've seen it - it's amazing the strength people have when they are speeding!!!!!!), also people have been known to leave blood on them (think Hep B, C, etc here). Ring the police or council, and they pick them up speedily.

</caching hat off>

ideology

Post by ideology » 22 November 05 8:15 am

thanks for the heads up
we've taken the liberty of changing the subject from "please read" to better describe what the thread is about. this will make it easier for people to find in future.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 22 November 05 8:18 am

yep...unfortunately, found one of these in Seymore and thought it was the cache container :shock: .

BTW, what's the go with these containers....are they relatively new as i have never seen them in my travels. Have dealt with the yellow ones dozens of times before though, and was not prepared for the black ones. Are these more of a carrying container as i note the one we came across didn't have a "valve" in them to stop access to the syringes.

I hope no-one ever decides to use one of these containers as a cache, even though they look inviting :shock:

Agsmky

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 22 November 05 8:26 am

Thats OK Ideology :wink:

I know they have been in Tasmania for about 7 years agsmky, dont know about the rest of Aus. There has been a rise in the number of people who are injecting drugs like speed (instead of taking it in tablet form), and the more people doing it, the more likely the containers will be discarded improperly.

Younger people are injecting too now, and they are more likely to leave containers lying around - not being ageist here! 8) .

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 22 November 05 9:14 am

I'm astonished that there exists plain black plastic ones with no warning label on the outside.

Food for thought.

- Rog

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 22 November 05 11:25 am

I too wish they didn't make they just plain black plastic. I've seen different kinds of containers and not being an injectable drug user merrily struggle away wondering WHY someone would use as container with such a difficult to open lid! :roll: And when it's half covered by leaves, etc it's hard to know what you have your hands on sometime until, well, you have your hands on it. I use sticks for poking more and more, and this is another good reason. Leaving the sharps disposal containers them all over is awful, however at least it is a step up from just leaving bare syringes around.<P>Thanks for letting us know who to contact regarding these; I keep meaning to ask the CPs but we always seem to have 'more important' things to discuss! :wink:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 22 November 05 11:33 am

Only one thing to add, Most good cachers hide there cache much better than some strung out socialy challenged freak!
These containers are found everywhere that is out of site, a very sad but true fact of modern life :cry:

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 22 November 05 12:58 pm

Maybe we should all write to the appropriate powers that be to encourage them to make sure those containers are marked accordingly.

I mean, it is a step up from syringes laying exposed as stated before, but as cachers (and I believe we're all pretty much environmentally aware) we might have some weight to have the containers marked, not only for ourselves, but for the children, and for the environment. I bet a lot of them are missed by gardeners/lawnmower/council types because they are black, and are therefore near invisible if hidden in grasses. They'd have to be 5 inches away to see them- whereas unless completely covered (read: buried under stuff) you can see the yellow ones from a distance.

And may I recommend the use of rubber/latex gloves when handling these containers should you decide to CITO.

Marie

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 22 November 05 1:46 pm

<rant>

The reason they are plain black and unmarked is so that injecting drug users can use them 'incognito', as we must protect the 'rights' of drug users to practise their addiction without fear of being identified as a user. (Sort of like the way users of 'feminine hygeine' now have cute/jazzy little boxes that are unmarked. :lol: )

To my mind, it is political correctness - and 'rights without responsibilities'
- gone mad.

So it was the powers that be that created them in the first place.

</rant>