Debate 3 - Should you let on if your Multi has a trap?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

You SHOULD let on if your Multi has a trap

Strongly Agree
No votes
Strongly Agree
23%
Agree
2%
Agree
21%
No Difference
No votes
No Difference
15%
Disagree
No votes
Disagree
17%
Strongly Disagree
21%

Total votes: 47

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 09 November 05 2:12 pm

One cachers inconvenience is another cachers challenge.

For this team, any "traps" are part of the fun of caching.
We don't mind if we have to come back to find the cache in 2 weeks, a year, or 5 yrs.
Completing a cache on the same day is not a priority.
We just put it in our diary for future completion when next in the area.
It all means we get to explore more of this fabulous country.

Having a lilo or similar packed in the car does make river crossings easier.

Kevin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 November 05 5:00 pm

Cached wrote:If all you rely on is the arrow, you're sure to be lead astray. Use a map people!
What if you don't have a map, person?

Cachers with technology are obviously better suited to this response than others who don't have those resources on them at the time that they calculate the next waypoint.

Of course, this is what make caching different for everyone. Some will like it, some won't and it doesn't really matter what you do, someone will likely be unhappy.

I would also predict that there would end up being hints left in the logs, from subtle to obvious, that taking the easy road in is not the right way.

It's also probable that the hider would get snarky logs from livid cachers if they placed the cache in this manner knowing that there was a trick involved or that a rough approximation of the projected waypoint could be on one side of the river or another.

Still, everyone plays the game their own way, so just hide and they will hunt.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 09 November 05 6:09 pm

My bugger cache originally had waypoints in the fours corners of sydney (literally the corner maps on the Sydway) with the final in the middle of Sydney. No one knew this was the case until they got to each waypoint.
It was part of contest though, designed to slow cachers down, so the few how did do it had a sense of humour about it.
I suspect it would not go down well today.

When it comes to caches with lots of potential travel and/or time I think people should be warned.
Generally speaking, I think that most cachers would be a bit peeved with the example given.

EcoDave :)

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 09 November 05 6:10 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Hounddog and I were only 3 km from a cache but.....we had to travel over 70 km to get to it. There may have been a road but we didn't have a 4x4 then.
I would have walked, average walking speed 6 km per hour.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 10 November 05 10:23 pm

I think the important part of this is having good estimates of how long a cache might take, worst case condition. If it says 3 hours and you do it in 1 1/2 then you feel good, otherway around, not so good. I have (well, had since the big floods) a big multi along the Torrens in Adelaide with the waypoints jumping back and forth across the river. By car it would be 30km travel, by foot/bike it can be done in about 6km, due to the foot bridges. I was expecting complaints about the river hopping but the initial description seemed to warn people enough and convince them to not use cars. It gets checked and repaired on bike, car would just take too long, and a submarine would have been needed on Monday.
:cry:

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 11 November 05 3:33 am

As long as the star rating is high enough it is fair game..
You could post a time warning but telling which road to take would take away part of the challenge..

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 11 November 05 10:17 am

How about the converse situation ?
<br>i.e. by clever deduction you work out a way to bypass 1 or more waypoints on a multi - do you consider it acceptable, or is it 'cheating' ?

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 11 November 05 10:40 am

Geodes wrote:<br>i.e. by clever deduction you work out a way to bypass 1 or more waypoints on a multi - do you consider it acceptable, or is it 'cheating' ?
<p>
I think it's acceptable & have done it... after all, the multi points are only there to help you find the final cache, aren't they?, so if you don't need the help....
<p>
<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 543">Topsy Turvy</a> is a small multi just released in Brisbane and I believe you can work out the final co-ordinates without visiting *any* of the points in the multi... I've got what I believe to be the final co-ords and am hoping to get a chance to duck out and check it soon.