Too hard basket?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

What do I do?

Make it a traditional?
12%
Salt the area with some more caches? ( I do have some in mind)
39%
Remove it?
No votes
Do nothing?
48%

Total votes: 33

Effrem

Too hard basket?

Post by Effrem » 06 November 05 7:25 pm

My originalRaiders By The Bay cache hasnt been touched in over twelve months and I am wondering why?

Any ideas?

I dont get much time anymore to do any caching , but I do get alot a pleasure from others finding my caches.

And I would like to improve others access to my caches and make them as inviting as possible.

Thanks

Damian
(aka Effrem)

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 07 November 05 8:32 am

Check that it's still there & then wait.

I like a challenge, but I'm too far away to do it right now.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 07 November 05 9:54 am

4 star terrain could be putting some people off as well... is it really 4 star?

Mr Walker
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Mr Walker » 07 November 05 11:20 am

I am having the same trouble, but not so extreme, with 2 multis near my home town on Eyre Peninsula. I also thought of making each stage into a traditional cache, but then decided to leave them for those who still like quality and have the time for a bit of a hunt. They have had good reports from cachers who found them. If you don't want to convert them, salting a few others nearby may increase the overall discovery rate. Don't know the territory over your way, but around here even the "easy" caches can remain untouched for quite a while. I also found that putting travel bugs or a special goody like a movie pass in, occasionally, helped keep people's interest.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 07 November 05 11:55 am

I think it's that most cachers like multi finds in an area and/or only like a chalange once in a wile.

ian-and-penny:
I like a challenge, but I'm too far away to do it right now.
Here you are:

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 98&start=0

If you take a look through them you can see a trend developing.

chewinprickles
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by chewinprickles » 07 November 05 5:41 pm

Too hard basket!!! Yes I certainly have one. I have not got too involved in any of the puzzle caches around yet, probably due to the fact that there are plenty of easier ones to get first. I've really enjoyed Daks BT series which I have been picking away at for months. This is not a difficult series however but it simply gives a focus to my caching. Another series I enjoyed was the memory marker ones around Port Melb and St Kilda, by Partic which gave me some insight into the history of the area.
Ive started looking at one of Muzza's puzzlemania ones so when I get the hang of it I might yet have a change of heart.
One of the great things about this game is the variety of places, caches, and people. I'm loving it!!!

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 November 05 7:24 pm

Apart from a couple of seriously strenuous climb-to caches we placed in Christchurch, we've had a fairly similar hit-rate on all of our (remaining) caches there.

Here in Perth, however, the tougher puzzle caches in the Hills (I still smile at the thought of calling 250m altitude "the Hills") get far fewer finders than simpler caches on the plains.

Basically, if you want lots of finds, you need to place simple caches in easy-to-reach suburban spots, preferably within walking distance of the CBD's hotel areas (so you get passing TB carriers and not just the limited pool of locals)

But, while those caches have their place, how boring would it be if that were all there was to find?!

I'm happy to get finders only every now and then for our challenging caches, as long as the cachers who _do_ make the effort feel rewarded for it.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 08 November 05 10:22 pm

One thing about the out of the way caches though, I reckon they might last longer than the ones in busy places. Sooner or later muggles will stumble across them or garden them away. It'll be interesting to see which caches are still around in 2020. :shock: What sort of caches will people go to the effort of maintaining for such a long time, if any?

Rabbitto

Post by Rabbitto » 08 November 05 10:23 pm

The 4 star terrain rating had me wondering too. It doesn't sound from the logs or notes that it is a particularly tough area to navigate by foot if you don't go too close to the cliffs (which it sounds like you don't have to). This leaves me to think that the waypoints are a particularly long way apart. Are you willing to give up any info on the four star terrain rating that won't spoil the cache? I only ask because I don't know the area and can't profer any clues as to why it's a no find. Sounds fun to me.

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 08 November 05 11:20 pm

Its a multi....yuk.... and its math....even worse. :shock:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 November 05 12:57 pm

I would give some indication of the time that it might take and the distance required. Then people will know if they can fit it in during the time available.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 11 November 05 3:47 am

SNIFTER wrote:Its a multi....yuk.... and its math....even worse. :shock:
you're just lazy ;) :p

We actually prefer multi's it makes it more of an adventure..

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 11 November 05 9:21 am

When you get to my age you will probably feel the same way. :evil:

Geof

Post by Geof » 11 November 05 12:08 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Its a multi....yuk.... and its math....even worse. :shock:
Must admit after taking on a few multis I now try to keep the maths to a minimum and / or basic unless there is a point to it :wink: .

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 11 November 05 12:21 pm

I like multis - if you aren't obsessed with your stats, then a multi gives more bang for your buck - especially in the case of suburban caches where traditionals mean a long drive through traffic (I hate that) followed by a quick fix as you locate the cache on foot. A multi means you get to, in effect, find several locations after each drive (a longer 'fix' :)).
<P>
On the other hand, multis that require a drive between wps (especially in the suburbs) can be a double pain :(.