Finding your own cache's

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Finding your own cache's

Post by GIN51E » 01 November 05 5:37 pm

Why is it possible to mark your own cache as a find and it adds to your total find count? sounds stupid to me, its funny looking "at a few" cachers frequent hiders list and seeing their own name in it. :roll:
<P>
Edit-""
Last edited by GIN51E on 01 November 05 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: Finding your own cache's

Post by Mr Router » 01 November 05 5:42 pm

GIN51E wrote:Why is it possible to mark your own cache as a find and it adds to your total find count? sounds stupid to me, its funny looking at everyones frequent hiders list and seeing their own name in it. :roll:
Sounds like a numbers thing and some have found a loophole!

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 November 05 5:45 pm

I don't log my own caches, but I do quite happily log my own events.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 01 November 05 5:52 pm

Everyone logs finds on their own caches?

Who?

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 01 November 05 5:54 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Everyone logs finds on their own caches?

Who?
maybe not everyone :shock: wrong word, but i have seen a few, could find a lot more if i go looking

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 November 05 6:26 pm

This is an old chestnut but still worthy of a discussion, some people believe that you should be able to log a find against your own cache, some don't. I am one of the latter. There are people out there that also log a find/attendence against their own event cache. Once again I don't, if I am hosting the event then that's enough for me.

Some people are in it for the smiley/green tick mark count, and will advance their count no matter how. I believe (IMHO) that stats such as provided by sites such as this one, cause people to become find/smiley count hungry crazed individuals, to whom the numbers become everything.

Whilst I like the stats features that C@W and Ideology provide, I rarely look at them, the count is only there for one reason as far as I am concerned, to show how many caches I have done in total, I don't really care about who has found the most/least this day/week/month/year or who placed x number of caches in a week.

All in all, really logging a find against your own cache comes down to one person, yourself. If those players want to boost their count that way, fine let them, Does it really matter in the big picture anyway?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 November 05 7:00 pm

I have a GCA moveable that I fully intend to log a find on if it ever gets up my way.

After all, I don't know were its going to be anymore than anyone else!

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 01 November 05 7:22 pm

This topic back again! Yep, seen it before, know of some cachers that have done it more than once too :roll:

Up to the individual I guess, no rules to say you cant, but you certainly open yourself to criticism if you do!

Some are all about the points remember, some do it the right way others do it the wrong way.
I have watched one of the point hunters even ignore muggles right next to a cache once to go in and grab it! :shock: Needless to say it didnt last long afterwards :(

I am with the lizard below on the stats counters seem to egg it all on! Got caught up in that years ago! Now I dont actually bother to log half my finds! Points shmoints!

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 01 November 05 7:54 pm

Piggy,
If you don't log your finds how do you remember what you've found??
:shock:
I rely on my weekly "unfound within 400km" file to load into GSAK (refreshing it) and then upload into the GPS and Google Earth (as GPX). I presume some people have a method of uploading only the new caches into GSAK and delete caches they have found on the GPS?
Do people leave cache finds on the GPS as "Found Geocache"? (Garmin owner here)
Hmmm, am I missing something???
What settings do people use for the GC data via email and the GSAK import/export/uploads.?

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 01 November 05 8:16 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Everyone logs finds on their own caches?

Who?
I know I did once, but that was because it only became mine since the original owner moved and I volunteered to look after it..

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 01 November 05 9:03 pm

i like the find count so i can see how many i have found, and see how my month finds compare to last months,

i have emailed to me everyday all the caches within 50k of me and then upload that file to the palm and GPS so i know when i see a cache on the GPS its one i haven't found.

then i save all the found GPX files onto the computer so i can keep my own record of how many i have found.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 November 05 9:25 pm

I like my numbers.
I am interested in your numbers.
I don't compare numbers (well, the graphs do).
I don't think better or worse of you or me depending on my or your find count.

As has been said before, everyone will play the game their own way and they should be allowed to play the game the way they want to play the game.

The only rules about the game are the listing rules. Finding rules don't exist. If you want to log your own cache, no skin off my nose. Same as if you call someone to help you at the cache location and don't say so in the log. No big deal.

I would like people to log my caches if they find them so I can read all about your adventures. That's a big part of my enjoyment.

When it comes to organisation, I get one weekly file that I load into GSAK. I pick the 500 closest unfound caches and load this to my GSPr and PALM once a week.

When I find a cache I delete it from my GPSr so I know not to look for it again should I feel the need between now and next week when I load the data again.

If a new cache comes up close to me during the week (yeah, like that happens over my side of town, not) then I'll print a cache sheet, enter the co-ords by hand and go find it.

I don't need to be compulsive about getting every cache in the state into my PALM and GPSr every day. I don't cache that frequently, so once a week is fine with me.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 01 November 05 9:40 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Well said!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 November 05 11:15 am

Unfortunately I sometimes can't find my own caches :oops: when checking them for maintenance, then they subsequently get found. Cache creep maybe.

The only ones of "mine" I have logged are when they weren't mine and I have subsequently inherited them when someone moved. I am happy to log my own events though as a "find".

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 02 November 05 1:13 pm

Please - logging a find against your own cache!!!! What does that acheive other than furthering (if thats a word) your own count. Part of caching is the thrill of the chase, the excitement of finding the unknown. Where's that when your hunting for your own cache, that you hid.<P>Say 'NO' to logging a find against your own caches. :evil: