Longest time for a VIRGIN Cache to be claimed?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Longest time for a VIRGIN Cache to be claimed?

Post by swampgecko » 22 September 03 11:03 pm

I just noticed that a cache here in NSW is very close to celebrating it's 1st Birthday in place, BUT as a unfound cache....... <P>

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... d34b495bf1<P>

I was going to attempt this cache back in the Christmas holidays but ran out of time and daylight on the day in question, and appart from the fact that the cache was 200plus kilometeres from our accommodation, might have had a some small bearing on it.<P>

As a cache Setter I have never had a cache go more than a month before being found for a first find.. appart from my latest offering.....<P>

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... fd26bafc07<P>

which is now at 15days and counting......
<P>
So can anyone beat this?

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 22 September 03 11:23 pm

The 2 Dogs won't be going up the Bells road untill all the work is finished. We have been caught out twice now so untill someone can let us know when it is finished we will steer clear of that neck of the woods.
Re the other cache...well it is a holiday cache and unless you are going that way etc etc.
Not sure how long our Snowy one sat there but I think it was a while...I'll get back to you on that one. Australias Highest was a while before it was found.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 23 September 03 10:33 am

I dont think my first one will stay undiscovered that long...

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 23 September 03 6:21 pm

ToolkiT wrote:I dont think my first one will stay undiscovered that long...
I don't think it will either!

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 23 September 03 7:01 pm

bigmickb wrote:
ToolkiT wrote:I dont think my first one will stay undiscovered that long...
I don't think it will either!
Not with you and Leek living around the corner! ;)

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 23 September 03 10:58 pm

Down the River was our longest virgin. It lasted almost 8 months.
Please tell me why there are so many log only caches at the moment. Is everyone getting too stingey or just plain lazy. There is more to cache setting than a film canister.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 23 September 03 11:00 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Down the River was our longest virgin. It lasted almost 8 months.
Please tell me why there are so many log only caches at the moment. Is everyone getting too stingey or just plain lazy. There is more to cache setting than a film canister.
Good news, mine has goodies in them, go and get them ;)

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 23 September 03 11:51 pm

SNIFTER wrote:Down the River was our longest virgin. It lasted almost 8 months.
Tell me about it! We've just released our first two caches (NOTE: Goodies Included!!! :wink: ) and discovered that there was more to it then just filling a box full of stuff & dumping it out in the sticks somewhere. Finding caches is only half the fun... :twisted: There'll be more caches from us in the near future... :lol:

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 24 September 03 8:19 am

SNIFTER wrote:Please tell me why there are so many log only caches at the moment. Is everyone getting too stingey or just plain lazy. There is more to cache setting than a film canister.
<P>I actually had a fully fledged cache to set down for "Gondwana", but seeing at the grounds were too well maintained and some people baulk at paying fees to find a cache I decided to go with the log only cache at the entrance to the MT Tomah Botanical Gardens and out of a total of 16 active caches, I only have 4 log only caches, one of which was a conversion from a traditional cache after the cache disappeared, It is mainly a case of horses for courses and the cache setters opinion of which cache would be more suitable for an area.. IMHO the chase and the find are the essence of geocaching, not the swapping of goods. That just makes it more fun......... and keeps the kids more interested in Dad's weird hobby.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 24 September 03 10:53 am

swampgecko wrote:the chase and the find are the essence of geocaching, not the swapping of goods. That just makes it more fun..........
I agree, when I explain my muggle friends what GeoCaching is they allways ask about the 'treasure' I allways say that finding the cache is the true treasure, while the goodies are just there for fun...

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 24 September 03 5:44 pm

At the moment, I am placing a bunch of caches not too far from train stations so that tourists may visit them while in Sydney without having to use a taxi or hire a car.
That's why I've put together a bunch of caches, some of which are LOG ONLY.
These are my first LOG ONLY caches, so I hope you will excuse them, but it's not easy to find places for large caches in these areas. I had a few 'real' caches with me and tried my hardest to place them before defaulting to LOG ONLY's.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 September 03 7:40 pm

Two months 4 days before one of those Pesky Geomonkeys found my Monkerai Marvel. One of my learner hides. Glad to say I'm a bit wiser at cache hiding now. At Dubbo though it is a challenge keeping the local cachenymphs at bay any longer than 3 days.

swanny

Post by swanny » 30 September 03 2:24 am

I have one (my first), 68 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes, and 0 seconds (approximately - need dates from photos) since placement, 1 DNF. It doesn't look good. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... x?ID=24849

Not too many goodies, it's definitely getting there thats the highlight here.