ssssssssssssssssssss<

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 22 November 05 3:24 am

I'm in the process of publishing a 'cache' book on snakes native to WA (a collaboration with a well known Perth snake wrangler)

I'm a herp lover from way back....

It will be cacher based and include First Aid protocol for snake bites.

Marie

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 22 November 05 7:10 am

I use these two mostly. They are probably the most up-to-date references.<p>

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 22 November 05 11:16 am

Hi

I use "A guide to Reptitles and Frogs of the Perth Region" as my main source. See http://www.uwapress.uwa.edu.au/titles/index/reptiles

Image.

Also covered at http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/bookper.html

Regards
Andrew

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 22 November 05 12:45 pm

Do you guys carry those with you while caching??

Marie

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 22 November 05 12:53 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:Do you guys carry those with you while caching??
I carry a copy of Mr. Bush's webpage on my Palm (in iSilo format) to help identify snakes I might come across. (Mind you, _first_ I get out of their way, and _then_ I might have a look at the pictures!)

I also have bandages, cellphone and walkie-talkie set to Ch18 (the channel that the park rangers use, with repeaters all over the place)

Urban caches over the summer are sounding like the better alternative, though...

(edited to include link to URL)

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 22 November 05 12:57 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:Do you guys carry those with you while caching??

Marie
Usually the NSW field guide when I'm anywhere remote, since it is intended for field work, and is a handy size to put in the pack. The larger Complete Guide is only necessary when interstate, or can be left in the vehicle.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 22 November 05 1:04 pm

Bear_Left wrote:Urban caches over the summer are sounding like the better alternative, though...
<P>I spotted a brown last Sunday while doing
<a href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 3c>Shrek's Swamp</a>, and it's in a quite well-mown bit of parkland (with some ponds/wetland). The snake was amongst some rocks only a foot from the path in what looks to be a very well frequented area.
<P>I should add that this is a suburban park - not remote bush by any means.
Last edited by Geodes on 22 November 05 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 22 November 05 1:10 pm

Another reason I'm doing it is in the hope that cachers will help me.

We will have a form in it that you can fill out if you see a snake. I am hoping that cachers will send the sighting sheet to me (I will pay for postage) or fill in an online one to be submitted to my snake wrangler (He works for the university, and is writing several books at the moment).

He is a really great guy- VERY dynamic- and I think cachers can help provide some great data due to our chance of encounters with snakes.

And the book will also contain caching anecdotes re snake encounters, etc, so you/your team could be famous...well in caching circles anyway :)

I'm also doing it as mental stimulation as I'm homeschooling my daughter at the moment, and I'm in need of something to de-stress.
And because I've always wanted to have a book published, and this way I can do it myself!

Marie

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 22 November 05 1:33 pm

<P> I have only seen 1 snake whilst caching (thus far, touch wood etc etc). It was a baby black snake on the way back from Melrose Monks (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 74f26ae399) in the ACT. The baby snake surprised me, but it was the paranoia of where Mum might be that kept me extra vigilant for the rest of the journey :shock:.

<P>Caching rural or urban - it never hurts to have a basic first aid kit (or at the very least a compression bandage) in your caching gear. First aid advice for snakebite (and a host of other things) can be found at http://www.parasolemt.com.au/manual/venom.asp, a complete online first aid book written for Australian conditions.

<P>Stay safe out there!

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 14 January 06 9:53 pm

Went for a walk today around the Berowra scrub checking on some hidden caches and placing a new one "tip for other locals"

and spotted two snakes today.

nearly stepped on one which was only small and it wasn't really worried by me and slowly kept moving away. I'm pretty sure it was a Yellow Faced Whip Snake

then i found a spot that was interesting and wished to place a cache there but found a medium sized Diamond Phython sleeping so watched him for a while then moved on further along and placed the cache in another location.