ssssssssssssssssssss<

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 07 November 05 11:59 am

Havn't seen any while cacheing, but it is always in my mind, especially when visiting Dead Marshes here in VIC this weekend. Great place for snakes to be lurking. Down at Wilson's prom a few years back and saw 5 in one afternoon bushwalk!

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 07 November 05 6:01 pm

Bear_Left wrote:Saw another one today, this time curled up in the space under the rock cairn, snuggled up against the cache container!
I haven't identified it yet, but it had that python look to it, so I probably wasn't in mortal danger...
Photos on my log for Bald Hill.
Looks like a carpet snake to me. Not a tiger or dugite for sure.

Andrew

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 07 November 05 6:38 pm

in all the snake books i've read and so forth i haven't seen this answered but correct me if i'm wrong,
<P>
if i get bitten by a snake but don't get to see what it is then if it has venom then i would have two fang marks, if it was a python then i would have several teeth marks. correct?

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 07 November 05 8:14 pm

GIN51E wrote:if i get bitten by a snake but don't get to see what it is then if it has venom then i would have two fang marks, if it was a python then i would have several teeth marks. correct?
Not necessarily true. i.e. pythons aren't venemous & they do tend to have teeth rather than fangs. But non-pythons can be venomous or non-venomous and will still have 2 fangs... so 2 fang marks doesn't necessarily mean you're in trouble.

If I couldn't identify the snake I'd presume it is venemous and take appropriate action.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 09 November 05 12:39 am

I spotted a nice little joe blake today... photo at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... D=11272211

The Hill 4
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by The Hill 4 » 13 November 05 8:47 pm

We've spotted 3 snakes in the last 12 months. The first was on the Hut Hunt cache by Panic - a Red Belly Black. The 2nd was an Eastern Brown on ThomasS' Melrose Monks and the 3rd was today doing Trooping the Bermuda Keys. An Eastern Brown sunning itself on the rocks. Well over a metre in length too. Only the 2nd snake caused any excitment with our geo-hound being bitten twice. He lived to tell the tale however he was the first thing I looked for when I nearly stood on the snake today.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 14 November 05 12:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Bear_Left wrote:Saw another one today, this time curled up in the space under the rock cairn, snuggled up against the cache container!
I haven't identified it yet, but it had that python look to it, so I probably wasn't in mortal danger...
Photos on my log for Bald Hill.

Looks like a carpet snake to me. Not a tiger or dugite for sure.

Andrew

Correct Andrew ... it's a south west carpet python, non venomous but it could still inflict a nasty bite if provocked.

C.O.D
300 or more found
300 or more found

sssssssssss

Post by C.O.D » 15 November 05 6:20 pm

I've seen 4 in 2 days. Have a look at my logs for Wear the fox hat and G'day beautiful. Does anyone know what species a snake which has an army green body with a yello belly is. I seen 2 but don't know what they are?

Geodes

Re: sssssssssss

Post by Geodes » 15 November 05 6:33 pm

C.O.D wrote:I've seen 4 in 2 days. Have a look at my logs for Wear the fox hat and G'day beautiful. Does anyone know what species a snake which has an army green body with a yello belly is. I seen 2 but don't know what they are?
<P>Maybe a Diamond Python
<P><a href=http://cust.idl.com.au/pstevens/aussie_ ... tm>Diamond Python Pics</a>

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 15 November 05 7:44 pm

Saw this pretty little whipsnake while Damo was setting a cache at Hell's Hole. They're poisonous, but not dangerous.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 16 November 05 6:25 pm

C.O.D wrote:I've seen 4 in 2 days. Have a look at my logs for Wear the fox hat and G'day beautiful. Does anyone know what species a snake which has an army green body with a yello belly is. I seen 2 but don't know what they are?
Common tree snakes have a green body with just about any belly colour from yellow to blue to it could be one of them.

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 16 November 05 9:33 pm

Sounds like a green tree snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata).

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 17 November 05 7:32 am

hydroflare wrote:
Sounds like a green tree snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata).
<P>

C.O.D
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by C.O.D » 21 November 05 12:39 pm

Yep that was the one. Thanks all

el golco
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by el golco » 22 November 05 12:25 am

Saw a beautiful little White-lipped (whip) snake on sunday while caching with Caxixi in the Styx Forest. :D It was sunning itself on some loose black rocks but slithered into a rock crevice as we approached.
We went for a short walk and when we returned it had come back out into the sun. Unfortunately it went back into hiding again when it heard us.
It was certainly timid and quick to move away from us even when we were being very quiet in hope of photographing it.