Nocturnal caching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Nocturnal caching

Post by Webguy » 04 October 05 12:21 pm

How often do you go night caching?

I took Wing Nut out on Friday night for his first go at it and it was a top night, well, ok, I never got to bed til 3am the next day.

It certainly presents a new set of problems, but also has it's advantages.

Less snakes.
Lower visibility.
More mosquitos.
sometimes harder to see a cache
sometimes easier to see a cache
harder to find tracks on the side of playing fields

But, loads of fun!!

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 04 October 05 1:00 pm

80% of caching we do is at night.

Pros:
* Work and study occupies my friends and myself during the day, the only time we left to cache is during the night.
* Less heat, here in QLD its GOOD to go night caching.
* Just take it easy and enjoy the chilled out nightime experience.

Cons:
* Walking into a big hairy spider in his 1 x 1 meter web, AHHHHHHHH!

Its all good fun! :)

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 04 October 05 1:09 pm

I reckon about 25% of my finds to date have been at night - especially the ones up in the central highlands of Tas. It is really refreshing caching when the temperature is about 5 degrees... :shock:

team_diesel
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by team_diesel » 04 October 05 1:12 pm

I have done a bit of caching at night and find it is easier to get around town due to less traffic on the roads.

Far less muggles to be concerned with but harder to see holes and logs that can trip you up.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 04 October 05 1:21 pm

Not to mention how good it can be on a warm clear night, just chillin out signing the log and looking at the night sky.

You see and hear so many other types of night life too, like the kangaroos, possums, rabits, beasts of two backs that make cars squeek.

Disturbed a pair of those on friday night, did not seem to put them off their game though.

Up in the mountains here, looking back down towards the city is pretty darn nice too.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Nocturnal caching

Post by EcoTeam » 04 October 05 1:29 pm

Webguy wrote:How often do you go night caching?

I took Wing Nut out on Friday night for his first go at it and it was a top night, well, ok, I never got to bed til 3am the next day.

It certainly presents a new set of problems, but also has it's advantages.

Less snakes.
Lower visibility.
More mosquitos.
sometimes harder to see a cache
sometimes easier to see a cache
harder to find tracks on the side of playing fields

But, loads of fun!!
We've never deliberately done it, but have had to get out the torch on the odd occasion when we run overtime.

Daytime is better for us, we like to enjoy the views. MrsEco also has this silly idea about actually getting X amount of sleep per day. Don't actually understand the concept myself but I've been told that I must learn... :?

Night canyoning this season anyone? :wink:

EcoDave :)

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 04 October 05 1:54 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote: Cons:
* Walking into a big hairy spider in his 1 x 1 meter web, AHHHHHHHH!
<p>
That's why you take someone like CraigRat along - makes for an excellent big hairy spider/web remover. Just pretend you are tired, out of breath and simply can't go on any longer, he takes the lead with his fancy torch - job done :lol:

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 04 October 05 6:38 pm

Cons:

* Running into big hairy spider and their webs.

Pros:

* Not getting scared because you're not able to tell that the big hairy spider is still attached to you after you've run into its web.

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 04 October 05 6:57 pm

A piece of fencing wire sticking out from the bush I was searching in came within a bee's dick of having my left eye on the end of it.

<P>I'm no longer keen on night time caching.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 04 October 05 8:07 pm

Hey where did my post go?

Testing 1,2,3.

I said...Hmmm mabey it was too scary and the mods canned it.

Let me try again.

I said that we don't do that much night caching here in Dubbo. In winter and some of the hotter nights in summer it is the best way to get some caching in and make it just that little more difficult.

Here is not the safest place to cache at night so I take along my own Big, scary (sometimes hairy) and ugly companion...

Redneck wonderland - Were goin cache huntin.

The Bronze.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 October 05 8:50 pm

Running into Bronze in the dark would be scary, but we the Routers relly like to cache in the dark as there are less muggles all the previous.
The only thing we say is that when you cache by spottie that things look very 2d after awhile! With that said we would rather cache in the dark.

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 04 October 05 11:33 pm

I do a lot of my caching at night, usualy while waiting for other members of the family to be picked up that I have dropped of earlier at various events.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 04 October 05 11:44 pm

A goodly number of my caches have been done during a frenzy of night caching. The last case of which was with TGL when we bagged 5/6 caches. The prior night cache feeding frenzy I was part of was an inpromptude night with riblit, webguy and webguy jnr. I forget how many caches we ended up with, but I left home at 8 pm with plans of being home at around 11pm, I crawled into bed at around 5am..... and we had criss-crossed Sydney... the best cache of the night was in Chinatown, West of the summit, I was looking for a park when it came up on the GPS units, since I had done it perviously I gave the trio a rough verbal description and they bailed out of the car, whilst I was locked in a traffic jam. I told them to phone me so I could let them know where to find me.... well the phone rang, they ask"where are you?" "50ft from where you bailed out from me, still stuck in the traffic....." three door slams later and the traffic snarl cleared itself....

And when I was working nights for the governemnt I use to after work drive in from Richmond, to attempt those caches that had defeated me previous, like i!8 Get Smart and other brain numbing caches...

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 04 October 05 11:50 pm

I remember we whasted a lot of time on a blue cache that night/morning. But that was a fun night, poor Jnr, he faded fast towards the end.