Cache painting - Paint that keeps on keeping on... :)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tgsnoopy

Post by tgsnoopy » 14 September 03 4:29 pm

Us kiwi's are having fun doing some "flaming" (literally!) in the name of research on this at the moment. Check it out
Last edited by tgsnoopy on 15 September 03 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 14 September 03 8:45 pm

tgsnoopy wrote:Us kiwi's are having fun doing some "flaming" (literally!) in the name of research on this at the moment. Check it out
Or, for just the pics: http://automata.co.nz/~nick/Photos/Geocaching/Paint/

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 14 September 03 9:11 pm

I have a great idea for you Kiwi cachers.
How to camo your containers??
1.Go to nearest field and select a wooly sheep.
2.Shear sheep
3.Put wool around containers
4.Now place the containers in the field where you selected the wooly sheep from.
5.Log your cache site
6.Now that it is camo'd it should be a 5x5 cache find.
7.Dig pit and build fire
8.Cook sheep
9.Drink plenty of neck oil
10.Everyone will be happy.(Well maybe not the farmer)

I hope you Kiwis can't swim or should I start running now??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 September 03 8:13 am

Awwww... Snifter, you've ruined the cache I was about to place.
I'd called it "Maori had a Little Lamb"!
:lol:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 September 03 7:57 am

Here's more results from the flame testing; pot scrubbers and trees in the backyard!

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: cache coatings

Post by maccamob » 16 September 03 10:47 am

Pesky! wrote:.. I think its called Spray stone!
cool stuff its tough, and looks like granite in various colors when dry.
We tried random sprayings of various colour patches over a base colour - too laborious. Then we tried the stencil approach for a while - similar problem. Then we spotted Dulux Speckle at our local KMart - just the thing! 8) Unfortunately, Dulux stopped making it soon after. :cry: When our stock of Speckle was running low, we found Bunnings was stocking the White Knight Spray Stone, which is almost the same thing (but the nozzle clogs more often). :D Our current approach is to roughen the plastic container with sandpaper, spray on a matt black coat, then Speckle or Spray Stone (or sometimes another paint if the cache surrounds demand) in various colours so we have a bit of a selection to choose from.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 October 03 12:17 pm

Ok - listen up. At great expense I have invited a guest to speak with you all this day. She is our local paint expert ( Who also happens to be my wife!) and has graciously donated her time to set you straight on paint application.

"OK, so i have been selling and advising on paint for the past 5 years and I have Never heard of Cooking paint to be a suitable method of adhesion, If naything you are more rapidly deterirating the paint. The spary Stone is a great idea and yes White knight and Plasticote are the only ones who make it now. The best advise i cangive you guys to help is to use a probuct called ESP ( Easy surface preperation) Its clear and you paint it on the surface,leave it for 5 mins, wipe it off then wait an hour and a half and you can paint it with what ever you like, no sanding, no cooking, and no undercoating required. I know this is a good product as i painted an old desktop with it and i now WANT to remove it and al having a hell of a time getting it off.
Anyway hope that helps

Sally ( Mrs Bronze )
:D

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 02 November 03 3:10 pm

Thanks Sally for your tips :D

Got myself a can of that new fandangle stuff called ESP & tried it out on two new caches of ours, Hawks Nest & Sandy View - both now been released out in the wild.
Must say it made things much easer. A quick wipe on, wait 5 mins & wipe off. 90 mins later your ready to do your magic with the spray cans :wink:

Mike (Team Raider) also tried on a couple of containers himself (still sitting here at the house) in preparation for his next caches.

Will check on our caches from time to time regarding paint condition and keep you informed... stay tuned!