Are Virtual caches prohibited?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Are Virtual caches prohibited?

Post by EcoTeam » 19 September 05 7:37 pm

Ok, big can of worms question time! :twisted:

A recent discussion got me thinking, "Geocaching" has been officially "prohibited" in certain areas in NSW (we all know where and by whom).
That technically means that ALL forms of Geocaching are baned in those areas, so if you are caught "in the act" and you tell them you are "Geocaching" you may get into a little bit of trouble.

Most of us would understand why Traditional caches would be baned in these areas, but what about Virtual and Locationless caches? Obviously they cannot be banned, as you'd have to ban regular bushwalkers with a GPS too.

Now, what I want to know is what is the "official" stance on this from the approvers?, and what will be the collective GCA stance on this?
Obviously we'd all follow the usual rules for Traditionals, but Virtuals and Locationless caches?
If we are caught in the act by the Powers That Be doing a Virtual, should we lie and tell them we are bushwalking in order to not raise a stir, or should we defend our right to do it and try to make them understand what it's all about?
Maybe we should tell them we are "Waymarking"? :lol:

EcoDave :)

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 19 September 05 8:03 pm

How can they catch you doing a virtual? You are standing there with a GPS and possibly a camera - you could be doing any number of activities, the majority of which would be legal!

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 19 September 05 10:35 pm

From their guidelines (clause 10):"As an activity organised from the internet, geocaching events have indefinite time frames and undefined numbers of participants, rendering management of the activity ineffective.":roll:

Reading this and performing a self lobotomy so I think in the correct PC way I'd say they'll complain about an "undefined numbers of participants" performing an "activity organised from the internet" which has an "indefinite time frame".

Of course it's only a matter a time before they ban bushwalking as well.:wink:
And shoot on sight any human who breathes the air in 'their' parks.
Maybe they could put up high powered lasers to blind people who look in the general direction of a park.:idea: The park might get contaminated with human eye light rays otherwise.

I feel sympathy for you guys, we have a few policy nutcases like that in SA but so far they are in the minority and have only tried heavily restricting or banning orienteering and have left geocaching alone. :)
(fingers crossed)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 19 September 05 10:47 pm

We must have missed out here, what areas are banned?

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 19 September 05 10:50 pm

You would think they would encourage people to get out into nature and into their parks, from the 118caches i have found so far i'd say a vast majority of them are within 10m of a well worn or designated walking track so the impact on the bush caused by geocaching i would say is very minimal.

psychrn

?? Ridiculous

Post by psychrn » 19 September 05 11:56 pm

What the heck is goin on here???!!!!
I just cant believe this in a democratic society.
Im from little ole NZ!!
Tell us some details.
Chris
NZ

!mike

Post by !mike » 20 September 05 12:36 am

There is a pdf file at the bottom of this page
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npw ... ing+policy

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 20 September 05 12:47 am

Why are we dragging this old chestnut out again???

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Re: Are Virtual caches prohibited?

Post by Map Monkey » 20 September 05 1:00 am

EcoTeam wrote:A recent discussion got me thinking.....
Maybe we should head on over to the newsgroup to support the discussion and help with your defense :twisted: Though you seem to be holding the fort quite well at this stage :lol:

Agsmky

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 20 September 05 2:10 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote:Why are we dragging this old chestnut out again???
Well, I was thinking what I would do if I was looking for a virtual in one of these "prohibited" areas and I was asked (friendly or otherwise) what I was doing. I'd like to know what other cachrs would do in this situation, as it's bound to happen eventually. I don't think that aspect has been discussed before.

Would I:
a) Hide the fact I was "geocaching", and tell them I was simply bushwalking.
b) Get all enthusiastic and tell them I was Geocaching and try to convert them to caching and convince them that Virtual Geocaches are just like bushwalking and shouldn't be prohibited etc etc...

We all know what we'd say if it's a real cache we were hunting...

Actually, this brings up another interesting discussion topic - is a Virtual cache actually "Geocaching"?? :shock:
I like virtuals, but it just dawned on me that "doing a virtual" may not actually be "geocaching"...

After all, there is no "cache" to find, so "Geocaching" is not really the correct term any more, is it? :shock: :shock:

Oh bugger, I can now almost understand why Jeremy.... nooooo!*EcoDave is carted off by men in black trench coats*

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 20 September 05 2:34 pm

EcoTeam wrote: Would I:
a) Hide the fact I was "geocaching", and tell them I was simply bushwalking.
b) Get all enthusiastic and tell them I was Geocaching and try to convert them to caching and convince them that Virtual Geocaches are just like bushwalking and shouldn't be prohibited etc etc...
I'd do (b) because I'd know that I wasn't doing anything wrong and they couldn't stop me. I'm certain that they're not able to stop me from using a GPSr and/or camera out there on 'their' land... not yet anyway.

The difference with a real cache is that if they don't like it they can find and remove the cache... they can't do this with a virtual.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 20 September 05 4:46 pm

I remember reading something a while ago, you are not permitted to sell an photos, taken within a national park, without their permission. So i guess that amounts to they want a cut of the action in that case.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 20 September 05 6:20 pm

Ah I didn't know about this...

...I will look into it and if it's correct I'll start archiving all affected caches.

Thanks for the heads up!

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Are Virtual caches prohibited?

Post by EcoTeam » 20 September 05 7:07 pm

agsmky wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:A recent discussion got me thinking.....
Maybe we should head on over to the newsgroup to support the discussion and help with your defense :twisted: Though you seem to be holding the fort quite well at this stage :lol:
Agsmky
:lol:

Anyone know what name this Chris Baird guy caches under?

EcoDave :)

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 20 September 05 8:11 pm

We must talk :lol:

Agsmky