Are Virtual caches prohibited?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 20 September 05 8:31 pm

At the moment, the NSW government is now trying to slip in a new scuba diving licence, it will soon cost at least $30 a year just to go diving in NSW.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 20 September 05 10:21 pm

Webguy wrote:At the moment, the NSW government is now trying to slip in a new scuba diving licence, it will soon cost at least $30 a year just to go diving in NSW.
Yes, well... the government needs the money to maintain all the essential scuba infrastructure its provided.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 20 September 05 11:21 pm

Mix wrote:
Webguy wrote:At the moment, the NSW government is now trying to slip in a new scuba diving licence, it will soon cost at least $30 a year just to go diving in NSW.
Yes, well... the government needs the money to maintain all the essential scuba infrastructure its provided.
Yes, all those old $100M navy ships they sunk with $1M/shot torpedos so they can become dive wrecks.
Oh, that's right, the taxpayer has already paid for all that... :roll:

EcoDave :)

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 21 September 05 8:35 am

embi wrote:Ah I didn't know about this...

...I will look into it and if it's correct I'll start archiving all affected caches.

Thanks for the heads up!
Gees I hope you're joking Embi... :?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 September 05 11:16 am

The Ginger Loon wrote:
embi wrote:Ah I didn't know about this...

...I will look into it and if it's correct I'll start archiving all affected caches.

Thanks for the heads up!
Gees I hope you're joking Embi... :?
Attracting reviewer's attention to this is not a good thing,
gotta go i,riblit is coming ....

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 21 September 05 11:28 am

I hate getting into these more heated debate threads - however they're EXTREMELY careful (to put it kindly) about this sort of thing in the US, and there are plenty of virtuals at the Grand Canyon - so can we just take that it's OK? (And if not don't you DARE discuss with with reviewers around the GC until after my wedding!!!)

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 21 September 05 9:59 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
Mix wrote:
Yes, all those old $100M navy ships they sunk with $1M/shot torpedos so they can become dive wrecks.

And dont forget all the salt they have to add to the sea ;)

Where's_Wally
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Where's_Wally » 22 September 05 11:51 am

Government "policies" really make my blood boil! :x

Ok... So we can't place 'caches in National Parks and we can't place any on private property...
Looks like we're left with council parks and reserves...
Watch out for the geocache series "Boring parks of NSW!" :lol:

Here I am in Katoomba "the city within a National Park"!
Ah crap... Looks like I'm boned all 'round!

Although... I could place 'caches on my own private property, but then I'd be open to litigation if someone stubbed their toe while wandering around my property caching! Hmmm... All too risky!

Maybe we are just reading too much into this... A quote from NPWS website "Geocaching is an adventure game based on a 'treasure hunt' theme where participants in one party use a handheld GPS device to search for sealed caches left by other parties. Geocaching is not permitted in areas managed by the NPWS."

Phew! I feel much better now... :wink:
Looking around at the number of new bushwalking tracks developed in my area since the mid '70's and the level of trail maintenance on the existing tracks, I would suggest the area has not been managed at all!

I'd read that as a green light! :twisted:

They also mention sealed containers in their descriptor for geocaching, so I'd imagine virtuals to be ok... Woohoo... I'm excited...

Are we becoming paranoid, or is beurocracy really out to get us? :evil:

Where's_Wally

Post by Where's_Wally » 22 September 05 11:53 am

ToolkiT wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:
Mix wrote:

And dont forget all the salt they have to add to the sea ;)

....And don't even get me started on the ridiculous Scuba Diving licence.... :evil:

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 23 September 05 7:59 pm

Due to the upcoming wedding I haven't had time nor will I have time to look into this untill I return in late Oct.

Can someone remind me in Nov to check this out.... Please don't forget to remind me. I am so forgetful these days...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 05 8:25 pm

Well, if you're going to be in the generous tidy up mode when you return ( :D ) then you might also waste some time looking at all of the caches that have been deemed 'Temporarily Unavailable' for say, more than 12 months.

There's a truck load o'em.

Out of the top 50, the 'youngest' one hasn't been found for 460 (or so) days :shock:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gcf07 wins the 'oldest' at 1330 (or so) days. That's coming up for 4 years :shock: :shock:

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 September 05 8:44 pm

ok embi, we'll write a note on this little piece of paper we have around here somewhere and will definately remind you in november or december or whenever it was! we'll put the piece of paper underneath our doormat. or maybe under the fridge if we can slide it in there. because we always look at the fridge. but things keep falling off, so it's best to slide important things under there.

loon, could you please remind us to look under our fridge in november or december or sometime? or maybe under our doormat or somewhere? for something? thanks!

embi

Post by embi » 23 September 05 9:25 pm

Thanks i!. I knew I could count on you guys!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 24 September 05 12:54 am

caughtatwork wrote:Well, if you're going to be in the generous tidy up mode when you return ( :D ) then you might also waste some time looking at all of the caches that have been deemed 'Temporarily Unavailable' for say, more than 12 months.

There's a truck load o'em.

Out of the top 50, the 'youngest' one hasn't been found for 460 (or so) days :shock:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gcf07 wins the 'oldest' at 1330 (or so) days. That's coming up for 4 years :shock: :shock:
you better colour it archived now.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 September 05 10:30 am

Once GCA gets the archived log it will happen automagically.
Thanks riblit :D