Qantas and gps'r

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
lattejed
400 or more spectacular views seen

Qantas and gps'r

Post by lattejed » 12 September 05 10:20 pm

I noticed on Qantas today that they have relaxed their rules on mobiles and blackberry's etc. To quote the FAQ on qantas.com

Can I use other electronic equipment inflight?

Before using any electrical equipment onboard the aircraft check with a flight attendant to verify that the equipment is of an approved type that will not interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft.

All electronic equipment, including laptop computers, CD players, video cameras and electronic games and toys, must be switched off during take off and landing.

Does anyone know the go on GPSr? I reckon if I had a window seat I might be able to get a fix?

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 12 September 05 10:59 pm

I flew qantas recently to Sydney and back with the gps turned on almost all the way. I was able to turn the antenna and lock it with the window shutter and leave it there for almost the whole trip. I was only asked once (on the flight to Sydney) what it was. I have both tracks as a record.
Wayne :D

rogainer
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 12 September 05 11:07 pm

My understanding is that a GPS-r is exactly that, a receiver and theortically should not effect any navigation equipment because it is not emitting any signals.

cheers

Paul

Team Crackers
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Team Crackers » 12 September 05 11:29 pm

On a trip to Tassie last year with Virgin we were stopped boarding with a GPSr in our hand luggage and nearly missed the flight whilst we organized getting it back into our suitcase. We offered to leave the batteries behind so that we couldn't turn it on but they wouldn't let us do that either

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 September 05 11:36 pm

Haven't flown for a while but past experience is that only once (on a Virgin Sydney-Melbourne flight) have I been asked to turn it off. Only every used at cruise though.

Last flight I took was January and I had the GPS in the hand luggage from Adelaide-Melbourne and return and no questions asked at security at either place.

Was in normal airport security or Virgin who wanted it out of the hand luggage?

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 12 September 05 11:46 pm

rogainer wrote:My understanding is that a GPS-r is exactly that, a receiver and theortically should not effect any navigation equipment because it is not emitting any signals.

cheers

Paul
A GPSr will emit electromagnetic radiation, but it's insignificant and will not interfere with anything. Laptops and other gadgets emit a lot more radiation, so if they are allowed then a GPSr should be allowed.

EcoDave :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 12 September 05 11:50 pm

Team Crackers wrote:On a trip to Tassie last year with Virgin we were stopped boarding with a GPSr in our hand luggage and nearly missed the flight whilst we organized getting it back into our suitcase. We offered to leave the batteries behind so that we couldn't turn it on but they wouldn't let us do that either
That's madness! :shock: :?

I've always taken mine on hand luggage no questions asked.

EcoDave :)

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 12 September 05 11:52 pm

Only tried it once in May 2005 on an Adelaide to Canberra flight with Qantas. Whilst at cruising altitude powered up the Legend to see if it would get a track for speed. Up against the window and the Hostie throws a wobbly insisting I turn off the "mobile phone". I explained it was a GPS and was only a passive device but she got more irate and insisted I turn it off. I hoped she was better at listening to the training on emergency evacuation and never had to do anything too technical. I guess that's what you get for having a blue GPS.
At the time the banned equipment at cruise didn't include GPS from memory..

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 13 September 05 1:35 am

I always take my GPS with me during air travel. Even as far back as before I started Geocaching (2000) The flight attendants have known about and recognised what they were. I was surprised when one even asked me for a demonstration. Later I was invited up to the cockpit. The Captain had not seen one before and was fascinated. He compared it's altitude and heading readings to the aircraft instruments and found a discrepancy in the heading. Then it dawned on us that he was running off magnetic north while the GPS was set to true. A quick adjustment and it proved to be spot on. I have always found GPSrs to be most welcome and recognised in flight.

BTW. As far as altitude readings go, they will give you a true indication of height as opposed to a pressurised altimeter which, of course, becomes completely useless in that situation.

teamcrackers

Post by teamcrackers » 13 September 05 9:40 am

It was actually Airport Security that stopped us, we didn't even make it into the terminal. When we went to leave Tassie though the pyro of the team was pulled aside after an explosives scan, there was gunpowder residue on his belt. (not surprising the way he earns his living) After showing them all his licenses they let us through.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 13 September 05 10:13 am

I've used my GPSr on several airlines - Qantas, Uniten, Air Tahiti Nui, Lan Peru, Virgin - never had a problem or been questioned. And in my belonging being riffled through they never had any problems with my GPSr or PDA or mobile or various rechargers or wires; their main concern always seems to be to make certain my carefully packed breakable break and dirty laundry is flung around wildly.

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 13 September 05 2:43 pm

This topic came up recently in the Yahoo group I watch for the garmin 60CS. After several dozon flame posts with people digging their heals in on both sides of the line, the concensous was that a GPS is quite unlikely to affect the plane, but it's nice & polite to ask first. And if asked to turn the thing off, please respect the airline staff. After all, it's their plane and their rules. If you don't like 'em, get out and walk!

I also remember one post from an actual airline pilot who promised that he didn't really need directions from the passengers and could get the plane to it's destination by himself. I don't think it was meant to offend, but it made me chuckle!

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 13 September 05 8:46 pm

I always ask for a window seat now. It is a lot more fun on a flight to know exactly how far you have to go and how long.

I have a number of track logs from various flights, including a Melbourne ground to Adelaide ground.

I have one off waypoint at +1000kph. This was heading to Melbourne with a jetstream up our tail.

It is also great fun to waypoint features from 11000m and check what it really was on ozi when you get the laptop powered up.

Never had any trouble with the device. Nobody has suggested that I turn it off.

Maybe this is one case were the fact that a Garmin 76 looks nothing like a mobile phone is a good thing.

BTW slightly tangent to the subject, it is my opinion that if mobiles were actually going to have an influence on the plane they would be confiscated at departure. Lets be realistic about this, they will remove a set of nail clippers, but allow you to take a full powered up mobile on the proviso that you switch it off. Not likey if there was even 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% likelyhood of them causing trouble.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 13 September 05 10:08 pm

when i flew to LA last year, because we where in buiness class we got to have metal forks, but had to have "anti terrorism" plastic knives.
surely thats a bit half ars.d

I think the no phone this is a courtesy thing so u dont bug other ppl.

Same as in hospitals, no phones. Im sure its a courtesy thing.
The dr who was looking after our first kid who decided to come way to early in a place with no pediatrician spent, i reckon 2hrs talking on her mobile right next to an assortment of medical equipment..

Rayjacko

Post by Rayjacko » 13 September 05 11:46 pm

Last year while flying from Cairns to Sydney I asked the flight attendant could I use my gpsr and she went and asked the captain and it was no problem. I even had to take it into their galley and show the girls how it worked.They were most impressed.