OT: the world has changed

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Effrem

Post by Effrem » 15 September 05 2:32 am

After the gaurdia (sp?) scare, bottled water became very popular.

I was working for one of the water co's as a delivery driver as a result of the crisis.

Once people tasted it, the demand just took off from there.

Damian

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 15 September 05 1:40 pm

richary wrote:And unless you live in Adelaide I can't understand why you need bottled water. I enjoy returning to Sydney and remembering I can drink out of the tap :D
:shock:

A certain Eco-person works for Sydney Water and never drinks out of the tap! :wink:

Here is the propaganda:
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Publicati ... cesses.pdf

Ferric Chloride is lovely stuff, I used to use it to etch copper off PCBs when I was a kid.

Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.

I won't mention Chlorine.

We have a wizz-bang reverse osmosis filter on-tap at home :D

EcoDave :)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 15 September 05 1:56 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
richary wrote:And unless you live in Adelaide I can't understand why you need bottled water. I enjoy returning to Sydney and remembering I can drink out of the tap :D
:shock:

A certain Eco-person works for Sydney Water and never drinks out of the tap! :wink:

Here is the propaganda:
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Publicati ... cesses.pdf

Ferric Chloride is lovely stuff, I used to use it to etch copper off PCBs when I was a kid.

Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.

I won't mention Chlorine.

We have a wizz-bang reverse osmosis filter on-tap at home :D

So, if you live in Sydney you should be drinking the carbonated beverage in a red can, as it may actually be safer than tap water? Scarey thought...... :shock:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 September 05 11:22 pm

EcoTeam wrote:Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.
<P>I remember when I first moved to Gosford there was a story in the paper. We got our water from Wyong who added fluoride. The story was Gosford paid a fortune to then filter it out before we drank it.<P>Whether that is true I will enver know now.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 15 September 05 11:31 pm

richary wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.
<P>I remember when I first moved to Gosford there was a story in the paper. We got our water from Wyong who added fluoride. The story was Gosford paid a fortune to then filter it out before we drank it.<P>Whether that is true I will enver know now.
from what i read about that it said they didn't have to inform the public about the flouride in the water because the level of water they got from Wyong meant that the total volume of flouride in the Gosford water supply wasn't high enough to require them to notify the public, didn't see anything about them trying to remove the flouride from the water.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 16 September 05 5:20 pm

EcoTeam wrote: Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.
So you're the one who keeps dropping anti-flouridation propaganda in our letterbox... :shock:

I regularly get a folded A3 "newsletter" in the letter box banging on about the evils of flouride. The writer goes on continually about all these conspiracy theories and stuff. Too bad he comes off as a complete nutter. He even suggests I can subscribe to his "newsletter". 4 issues a year for $5. That's a $1.25 for a piece of A3 paper.

But don't worry, the paper is recycleable...

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 16 September 05 7:18 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote:
EcoTeam wrote: Flouride is lovely stuff too, baned in a lot of other countries. But of course they can't remove it now because that would be admitting that it's bad and they shouldn't have used it in the first place.
So you're the one who keeps dropping anti-flouridation propaganda in our letterbox... :shock:

I regularly get a folded A3 "newsletter" in the letter box banging on about the evils of flouride. The writer goes on continually about all these conspiracy theories and stuff. Too bad he comes off as a complete nutter. He even suggests I can subscribe to his "newsletter". 4 issues a year for $5. That's a $1.25 for a piece of A3 paper.

But don't worry, the paper is recycleable...
Thank goodness, I was going to ask about that...

You can blame the Health department for this one, Sydney Water don't want the fluoride in there but the Health Department wave the finger and say it must go in. Probably the same old geazer in charge there that said DDT and asbestos was safe :lol:

We use flouride free toothpaste too :D

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 16 September 05 11:31 pm

Well I brush my teeth with flouride toothpaste and rinse in Sydnay Tap Water *and* I drink Coca-Cola and my teeth are fine. (I can't vouch for the rest of me though :roll: )

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 19 September 05 2:45 pm

I've always wondered why bottled water advertises 'thousands of years' of filtration from glaciers through pristine mountains etc, but then still puts a use-by date on the bottle??!!

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 19 September 05 6:43 pm

Another weird thing they put a USE BY date on is salt. :?

Also, why after all this time, are they still printing opening instructions on milk cartons. :?:

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 20 September 05 12:32 am

...and be careful not to open your cereal packet at the illegal end, lest Snap, Crackle & Pop ply their evil trade on your body. :roll:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 20 September 05 11:26 am

EcoTeam wrote:
We use flouride free toothpaste too :D

Don't want to pollute your precious bodily fluids eh :)

smegheads
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by smegheads » 20 September 05 12:34 pm

Just to make you all feel much better....

Imagine if your car ran on printer Ink...

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&s ... arch&meta=

And thats at a cheap refill black price!