appropiate cache container

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

If I felt the cache container was inappropiate I would

Say nothing and thank the cacher for the cache.
20%
Make an oblique reference to the container in my log.
45%
Tell him/her straight out the container choice sucks.
23%
Replace the container with something more appropiate.
No votes
Cross the cacher off my cache list.
No votes
Email the cacher and suggest he/she reads the container page on the Wiki
9%
Email a reviewer
2%

Total votes: 44

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

appropiate cache container

Post by riblit » 03 September 05 2:56 pm

I had an email from another cacher regarding the use of inappropiate containers - specifically takeaway chinese food and ice cream containers, neither of which are particulary robust or waterproof, asking about 'setting some sort of standard. Unfortunatly, the groundspeak guidelines are all about 'where you can put the container', not how appropiate it is for the location so there isn't anything there to fall back upon.<p>
I had a look at the log for the cache in queston and noted that less than 5% of the logs mentioned the appropiateness or otherwise of the container - noting that the contents were wet. <p>
My question is 'what do you do in a case like this'.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 September 05 4:11 pm

I tend to avoid making those kinds of comments now.

Rather than make any comment that is in any way perceived as negative (even if it is actually constructive criticism), I'll leave a very short log and hope that it gets interpreted in the way in which I intended.

Anything that 'breaks the rules' I'll report to the cache owner or an approver, but I won't fall into the mistake of saying what I believe in the log again. I don't need that type of angst from finding a piece of plastic.

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 03 September 05 6:38 pm

I wouldn't tell the hider that their cache sucks but I would advise if the contents are wet or if the container is falling apart. In caches where this has been the case I have fixed what I could and advised the hider, usually by an e-mail explaining what the cache codition is or what I have been done to improve the situation. In all instances to date I've had a repy from the cacher thanking me for the information/fixing. I don't think it particularly matters what the cache is providing the hider intends to maintain it. If it's an ice-cream container or chinese takeaway container that will last a couple of months then the hider needs to be prepared to replace if it falls to bits. :?

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 03 September 05 8:47 pm

I guess if you expect a cache to last, you need to start with a container that is built to last. Otherwise the contents will be quickly ruined or destroyed.

Cheap plastic containers will shatter in around 12 months if exposed to UV from the sun (not in direct sunlight, simply daylight exposure will do it). They will also deform and the seal will not be watertight.

If it's not watertight then the contents will get damp and mouldy. The mould will start to eat away at everything. Then there's the infestations with ants, termintes, spiders, cockroaches etc.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 03 September 05 11:34 pm

Email the cache owner, and tell them about their choice of container.

After all, if nobody tells them, how will they know?

roostaman

Post by roostaman » 04 September 05 11:16 am

I haven't mentioned anything about a container or its contents in a log.
A cache is a cache is a cache, but some old containers are ordinary.

I have also placed an ice cream container or 2, and they are close enough to monitor their life, but they are fairly robust in cool places out of the heat. Think I'll go and change them now.

To each his own, although we generally try to make good wuality here, there is some that are not that fantastic.

Roostaman

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 04 September 05 1:02 pm

i have discovered some stuff from work which you paint on to whatever you want and it absorbs UV so if you covered a container in it well it should last forever in the sun, although the stuff at work is extreemly expensive but not sure if something similar is available elsewhere at a cheaper cost.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 September 05 2:23 pm

Cache containers should go with the surroundings if the spot can take a small swaps cache, all good but if it's a micro there are reasons.
caching is to take a break, take long trips , go round the corner in the end we put all sorts of things out. But I must agree they should be robust to take the challendge of time

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 05 September 05 11:44 pm

Stomp on it.

The Bronze.

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 06 September 05 7:54 am

A roadie-proof cache. I like it Bronze ...

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 06 September 05 11:27 am

A friendly email to the cache owner seemed to work for me. Also point out that you have seen this before and found other people who had their caches cracked / broken due to that type of container selection.

Recomend the attributes the cache needs for the given area :)