In thier backyard.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 03 September 05 12:54 pm

Firstly I wish to agree totally to Bronze. Even though the world (to them) doesn't exist outside their own borders unless they are <S>invading</S> liberating someone, there are humans there and our thoughts go out to them.<P>Well piggy, there have been dares, double dares, double dog dares so I'll put up a double dog wombat dare. Up to you. It seems Embi's keen. :twisted:

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 03 September 05 1:49 pm

Rothstafari wrote:After the Tragedy of 9-11 and the threads that came about during the Tsunami relief efforts last year, we have come to realize that there is too much angst and frustration over which tragedy is chosen over another in the US or worldwide.

As a result, we have made it corporate policy not to profile any particular tragedy that is front page news. There are enough efforts in place to do this already and, although our hearts go out to those who have suffered as a result of Hurricane Katrina, we do not plan to post a link to the Red Cross or any other organization requesting donations.
What a wanker

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 03 September 05 3:49 pm

Wyoming Wombats wrote:Well piggy, there have been dares, double dares, double dog dares so I'll put up a double dog wombat dare. Up to you. It seems Embi's keen. :twisted:
Under the office of the President, I hereby decree that Team Piggy shall submit a cache to raise funds for the displaced residents of the Mississippi Delta.

The Pres
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 September 05 5:04 pm

president & 1st lady wrote:
Wyoming Wombats wrote:Well piggy, there have been dares, double dares, double dog dares so I'll put up a double dog wombat dare. Up to you. It seems Embi's keen. :twisted:
Under the office of the President, I hereby decree that Team Piggy shall submit a cache to raise funds for the displaced residents of the Mississippi Delta.

The Pres
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I would support this suggestion if I thought there was actually genuine interest in helping these peope; instead all I am reading is about putting up a cache to have a go at others whilst doing so at the expense of people suffering a genuine hardship.

You know a little seven year girl was raped this week whilst you guys play your little game here. I know you couldn't have stopped that happening, but it makes me wonder how much you folks really give a rats about others in needs. It seems it is more important to "double dare" someone over putting up a cache just for the sake of it ... gee that is really going to help.

Americans give a damn sight more per capita to charites than Australians.
And folks here think they are better? You all have nothing to be proud of; the behaviour here reinforces that.

Why not instead put something together to actually encourage and get funds going to the relief effort? Where is the GCA cache if is this idea is so damn important?

At this moment I am not proud to be an Australian geocacher.

Regards
Andrew

GEK
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GEK » 03 September 05 9:36 pm

Andrew, I think you will find that those who are proposing, daring and double-daring are those who actually fought hardest for the Tsunami-donation cache back in December/January, hence the tone of cynicism.

The basic point of this thread is that (rightly or wrongly) gc.com have created a situation where they can't become involved in promoting donations for hurricane-relief without looking like hypocrites.

I'm sure that everyone here is doing whatever they think is appropriate to help the hurricane victims, just as they did for the tsunami. I think some people are just trying to stir up the gc.com people into seeing the folly of their current policy.

However, there is a good point in your post - where is the GCA donation cache?

GEK

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 03 September 05 10:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:Americans give a damn sight more per capita to charites than Australians.
And folks here think they are better? You all have nothing to be proud of; the behaviour here reinforces that.
Whats happening over there at the moment is bad... no one here disagrees with that or wishes anyone any harm. The fact is that currently there is NOTHING any of us can do about it. We could donate billions of dollars and it WOULD NOT HELP. What, you think that the U.S. Government isn't spending every cent at it's disposal to solve the problem? The problems there at the moment are related to logistics... not to money. Once the relief organisations, the military and FEMA get there act together things will start to get better.

After the immediate probems are resolved, then there will be the need for money & then the money that we've donated now and at that time will be used to help people to recover.

In the meantime I don't see anything wrong with the discussion thats been going on here. At the very least our discussions shows that we have an interest in the situation and wish to help.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 04 September 05 8:29 am

OK, just to explain a few things here.
<P>
Aushiker - I do have a genuine interest in what is going on over there, it's just what the Garner Family said. What's the use of doing anything whilst the authorities over there can't get control of the area? As for the 7 year old being raped, as a parent I would personally rip the guts out of anyone that touched my kids. The person that did that doesn't deserve to live. However, this probably would have occured even without a hurricane. Its just that sick bastards exist everywhere. The hurricane just provided the opportunity. I also remember the past topic degenerating into a "We give more than you" slanging match. I'll leave that comment at that.<P>GEK - I've got to agree with you. Where is the GCA donation cache. This was one of the reasons that caused the great schism. I don't know how trusts work or I would do it myself. This is one of reasons for my "Double dog wombat dare". When the money is collected GCA can then donate the money when appropriate (See comments above on why we don't send it now).<P>I hope this clears a few things up. I'm NOT a heartless bastard that doesn't care (I know that wasn't even implied so no flames please) it's just that I've a strange sense of the ways things should be done and my reactions to previous actions. Aushiker, I respect your opinions and hope this clears up some of your concerns. To everyone else, how about the cache?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 September 05 12:34 pm

I have been watching this thread on and off for the last few days to see where it would go.<p/>

Firstly, listing a cache on gc.com (other than an event cache, where a donation is not a condition of attending) to solicit funds would be archived by groundspeak staff in accordance with their corporate policy. They have made that policy and have to live with it.<p>

I found it interesting that the first reaction from the gc.com forum moderators was to ensure the posts were in what they perceived to be the ‘correct’ forums even when it meant less people would view the posts. A phycologist would probably have a word to describe it.<br />
Bronze, one of the active forum reviewers has family in New Orleans.<p>

GEK has seen the point except it goes further than the hurricane relief. Gc.com has created a situation where they canÂ’t become involved in promoting donations for ANYTHING without looking like hypocrites.<p>

The Garner FamilyÂ’s take on the situation is similar to mine, immediate aid is not forthcoming not because of a lack of money, rather itÂ’s a logistic problem. People have to be removed from the area. America has sufficient vehicles; they just need to get them there. Yes they will eventually need money to rebuild and charities will need money to help the families that fall through the cracks in their welfare system.<p>

Wyoming Wombats, GCA is not an organisation, club, or incorporated body. It is web site with a number of people as ‘membersÂ’, it has no legal standing as an organisation and as such is not the vehicle to use to collect money. One of the established charities is better equipped to do that. The <a href=Ââ€

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 04 September 05 12:52 pm

The Garner Family wrote: In the meantime I don't see anything wrong with the discussion thats been going on here. At the very least our discussions shows that we have an interest in the situation and wish to help.
I guess that is where you and I disagree, as I also disagree with the nothing can be done viewpiont.

If you think playing games is making things better, improving awareness etc then so be it. The wrong of GC.com does not make what is happening here now right. Point scoring does not help anyone.

There are real people need real aid right now. There are plenty of opportunites to put aid on the ground right now, not just directly in New Orleans but supporting the people who got out and have to rebuild their lives. Many of these people are now unemployed, need housing, need jobs, need funds to survive day to day. They need the support right now.

I suggest you get informed, touch base with the some of real people effected and get a feel for it and then tell me nothing can de done. Here is a link to one such blog - http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/k/index.html. Shane was lucky, he got out, he got out with his family, he has got out to family in Houston. His house maybe okay, he only has no job, no medium term accomation, pretty much no money. He has a great lot of friends working to help him out. This is just one example of real people who need support now. Don't tell me nothing can be done now, because the is just not true.

For those that do want to provide support, links to the Australian Red Cross have been provided, and direct donations can be made via various American charities. A list is available on the FEMA website at http://www.fema.gov/press/2005/katrinadonations.shtm.

Regards
Andrew

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 September 05 9:53 pm

I took everyone comments as a bit of sarcastic humour, nothing else.

After reading a few hours of news reports online and viewing footage on Friday night I donated $1000 to the New Orleans (hurricane) fund, Does that make me not fit the mold your casting us all in? (Same as I donated to the Tsunami fund as well).
I think it's worth double reading some stuff here and then have a sleep on it before getting upset over it.
I havent seen any posts by anyone else on this board that state that "nothing can be done".
Sometimes you have to read between the lines, Australians have odd senses of humour we all know that.
And the New Orleans jokes will follow soon, I heard one today whilst at a restaurant for lunch, so don't let them upset you, people tend to joke about bad stuff.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 September 05 11:33 pm

Aushiker wrote: There are real people need real aid right now. There are plenty of opportunites to put aid on the ground right now, not just directly in New Orleans but supporting the people who got out and have to rebuild their lives. Many of these people are now unemployed, need housing, need jobs, need funds to survive day to day. They need the support right now.
The biggest tragedy is the people who didn't/couldn't evacuate the city before the Cyclone hit. No food or water available so they are breaking into shops to try and survive and the police that are arriving have "shoot to kill" orders. Desperate people do desperate things. New Orleans was already one of the most violent cities in the USA and the people who couldn't afford to leave were for the most part the poorest of the poor. I think sending in armed forces first to restore "law and order" is going to result in far fewer people to rescue. :cry:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 05 September 05 11:27 pm

The Bronze.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 06 September 05 12:26 am

Bugga - I've never been able to see those things :(

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 06 September 05 12:32 am

How about this one? :twisted:
The aftermath was horrible after the giant teapot broke.

Edit: Awww :( Did I kill the thread?

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 10 September 05 5:17 pm

We, as individuals, Spoke out about an issue as members of a global game.

We were told we wrong.
We were told that the main site wasnt USA centric.
We were told we were selfish etc etc........

The ego that runs said "main" site, found that he has dug himself into a corner that he cant get out of unless he eats some humble pie.

I find that very very funny.

The Hurricane issue I do not find funny.
The US goverment cant /wont do what needed immediately.
That saddens me greatly and I feel a great pain for all the people suffering there.

Something else I do not find funny is somebody wading into little bit of fun on their high horse and stating that we shouldnt laugh at their misfortune, when plainly we arent.

Careful you dont fall from that high horse Aushiker, the fall could damage more than an ego.

Damian