GeoPaintball

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
SteelRat

GeoPaintball

Post by SteelRat » 16 August 03 4:19 pm

Some of you may have already seen this, as I first posted it in the GEOCACHING.COM Australian forum. (I didn't know this one existed until I was enlightened by Riblit :wink: )

The repasted text is as follows:

Here's a thought.

A friend of mine runs a Paintball operation, mostly in bushland. For anyone who hasn't tried it, paintball is a lot of fun, though certainly more action oriented than geocaching.

I've been thinking of ways to combine the two (just can't leave a good idea alone). So far my thoughts have been running along the lines of:

-Have a number of flags (or other objectives) hidden in various places across a number of consecutive fields. Have each team (possibly more than just two) hunt them down after being given the co-ords on a sheet of paper, having entered them into their GPS's manually. Most finds within 10-20 minutes wins.

-have a single objective hidden, with the co-ords issued as above. First to find it, then take to a 2nd set of co-ords (different ones for each team) wins.

- a team is given a set of waypoints/items to locate in series. The other team/s are required to stop them within 15 minutes.

Variations on a theme are possible (limit the number of pellets per person, then make the objectives a cache of pellets to increase your chances of 'survival')(only one powered GPS to start with, then battries at the first cache for the next one to increase chances of finding more caches quickly) and so on.

I'm curious to know if anyone is interested in this sort of thing, or if you have any ideas of your own.

Sandy Feet
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Sandy Feet » 16 August 03 6:17 pm

This Idea and its possible variations sounds like a lot of fun

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 27 August 03 2:04 am

Like I said - I'm in. Tell me where, tell me when!

thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com

ideology

Post by ideology » 27 August 03 8:00 am

sounds excellent!

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 27 August 03 11:51 pm

I'm willing to organise an event along the lines described above, but at this stage I'm not going to try and pin anyone to a timeframe.

To give interested victims :twisted: , er, I mean 'participants' :wink: a bit more background, I'll state the following:

-for a decent day we would need a minimum of ten people (five a side, or even five groups of two, depending on the game play)

-so that we could have the run of the entire playing area over all the fields, a weekday would be best. If you were really keen, you could even camp overnight, comparing battlescars :) , swapping war stories :D and drinking the odd hearty beverage :lol:

-for concerned cachers of the feminine persuasion, there are padded vests available :roll:

-the outfit my friend runs is located about 11km north of S32-46 E151-45, on the way towards S32-39 E151-58 (who needs names when you have co-ords :wink: )

Please post an idea of numbers interested in playing, and any variations or preferences you may have in game play.

For now, watch this space...

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 13 November 04 5:57 pm

I just got back from 5 hours of bruising paintball fun and I would like to see this event happen. Bring it on Ratsplat.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 14 November 04 2:01 am

If its anywhere near the Hunter Valley area then I might be able to attend. Will travel down from Brissie and stay over night in the area some where.

Just an idea at the moment.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 14 November 04 8:30 am

Sounds awesome, I'm keen.

Phlosten

Post by Phlosten » 14 November 04 9:04 am

Paint pellet versus GPSr :)
<br>
Better make sure those protective covers are on.
<br>
Better put me on the list (if there is one). Paintball rocks regardless of how it is done.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 14 November 04 10:35 pm

Hmmm. I had thought this a pretty much dead topic when first posted back in August 2003. Sounds as though there are a few more crazi, I mean, adventurous types out there at the moment. I'll try thinking up a few scenarios and post the ideas here in the next week or two. I'll try arranging a bit of deal with my paintball friend (yes, I have friends!) and post the potential costs as well. Stay tuned, and if you are interested, please post potential player numbers, preferred dates (or list the impossible ones), as this may help factor us a good deal (I'm sure he'd love some extra business in the typical slow-down time after chrissie). And tell me if the overnight camping is still a good idea or not.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 14 November 04 11:58 pm

Sounds great. I'd love to be involved. Sometime in January would be good timewise.
Lot's of possibilities. Can imagine having to "cover" team-mates while they desperately search for more ammo at a waypoint.

Mix

Post by Mix » 15 November 04 12:20 am

January is good, just not the 1st or 2nd and have it before the 27th if possible.

Phlosten

Post by Phlosten » 15 November 04 6:04 pm

I am good for practically anytime, except for last week jan/first week feb.
<p>
Being a poor distance education student I am quite flexible and quite willing to waste,..err..spend good money on firing paint pellets at each other.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 09 December 04 7:26 pm

having just spent the day out on a paintball range, i only have one question?

You repeat offenders of that "sport" call it fun? :shock:

It was fun, but now .... oh my aching back thighs kidneys arms and anywhere else that now sports a rather large blood blister or impact whelt.... and it was good thing too that i was wearing a box.... :oops: