Hiding a cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over

Hiding a cache

Post by nibbler » 23 July 05 1:27 am

Hi

Iam fairly new to geocaching,have found 26 and now want to hide a cache.I see there has been plenty of discussion on newbees jumping in too soon , and not getting the coordinates correct .
So that I can play the game correctly can someone provide details of a GPS navigation course in Adelaide .

With thanks

Nibbler :P

GEK
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GEK » 23 July 05 1:43 am

Oh mighty Lord Nibbler,

Forget the course. Just go out there and do it. If you make a major mistake (fairly unlikely if you keep the cache simple) you can always correct the co-ords afterwards. No big deal.

Too many people get nervous when planning their first cache. Best way to learn is to do it.

Your friend,
Gek Gekster Rodriguez

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 July 05 2:04 am

given that you've found 26 you will probably hide a great cache

for people who haven't found as many, here's some handy hints
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Hiding_a_cache

good luck and have fun!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 July 05 2:38 pm

Having found that many caches you should have seen a good range of styles, locations etc, developed an opinion of what's good and what's mediocre so just get out there and place one.
As far as getting coordinates right, there are other threads on here that detail some people going to great lengths to get the coordinates right taking a dozen or more waypoints and seemingly spending most of the day weeding out the "best" ones.
My method is checking that my GPS is picking up at least a few satelites and leaving it sitting at GZ for maybe 5 minutes. Then I create a WP and walk 20-30 meters away and see if it leads me back to GZ. Never had any comments on inaccuracy of the coords of my caches.
Having one find and hiding a cache = newbie jumping in too soon.
You have 26 finds so I say go for it! Good luck and have fun.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 23 July 05 5:18 pm

But watch out for the Australian reviewers. They are merciless if you get it wrong. :twisted:

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Hiding a cache

Post by EcoTeam » 23 July 05 6:53 pm

nibbler wrote:Hi

Iam fairly new to geocaching,have found 26 and now want to hide a cache.I see there has been plenty of discussion on newbees jumping in too soon , and not getting the coordinates correct .
So that I can play the game correctly can someone provide details of a GPS navigation course in Adelaide .
Forget the course, just do it!
If you don't want to goof it up then:
- Make it a simple Traditional, not a multi, micro, or anything like that.
- Make sure you use the WGS84 datum (you obviously already have this down pat as you've found 26!)
- Make sure it's not on private property or in a National Park
- Make sure you hide it in an obvious location, i.e. there is only one good spot to hide it within say a 20m radius. So even if your co-ords are out a bit, everyone but Stevie Wonder will find it.
- Leave your GPS to settle for say 10min before taking the reading.
- Make sure you have a good view of the sky and are tracking say half a dozen satellites.

EcoDave :)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 24 July 05 1:25 am

embi wrote:But watch out for the Australian reviewers. They are merciless if you get it wrong. :twisted:
Yeah - Good luck with them. But then again they can be fairly tollerant. They Let Mix play.

The Bronze.
"Speaking of Mix, Did you know a pregnant goldfish is called a twit."

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 25 July 05 10:39 am

Eco Team mentioned "make sure it's not on a National Park"..
That'd be NSW where their parks are run by a (various rude words deleted) ..mob of people who think the best park is one with no humans..
Having banned rock climbing and caching I imagine it's only a short time until bushwalking or breathing fresh air is banned in NSW.
In the more civilised Soth Australia we don't have that problem yet, and hopefully never will.

oznaturist
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by oznaturist » 25 July 05 3:27 pm

Zytheran wrote:Eco Team mentioned "make sure it's not on a National Park"..
That'd be NSW where their parks are run by a (various rude words deleted) ..mob of people who think the best park is one with no humans..
Having banned rock climbing and caching I imagine it's only a short time until bushwalking or breathing fresh air is banned in NSW.
In the more civilised Soth Australia we don't have that problem yet, and hopefully never will.
Its catching, they have had a go in Bold Park in Western Australia.

nibbler

hiding cache

Post by nibbler » 28 July 05 9:26 pm

Glad to see this group is such a tolerant lot!!!!!!.

Thanks for the useful tips and encouragment

Will organise my first cache very soon

8)