OT : Project Platypus

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cached
2500 or more caches found

OT : Project Platypus

Post by Cached » 11 July 05 1:53 pm

I found this on another forum, thought it worthwhile posting:
Project Platypus has recently been successful in establishing a partnership
with National Tree Day and the AMP Foundation.

Soil erosion and poor water quality are destroying important platypus
habitats. You can help increase the platypus population by visiting
http://www.amp.com.au/ and clicking on the "Project Platypus" promotional
button.

For every click, the AMP Foundation will donate $1 (up to a maximum of
$10,000) to Project Platypus a Landcare Network in the upper Wimmera River
catchment in Victoria.

Clicking is free, it takes only a few minutes and you won't be asked for any
personal details. The more people click, the more funding will be donated to
Landcare.
http://www.amp.com.au/

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: OT : Project Platypus

Post by EcoTeam » 11 July 05 6:57 pm

Cached wrote:I found this on another forum, thought it worthwhile posting:
Project Platypus has recently been successful in establishing a partnership
with National Tree Day and the AMP Foundation.

Soil erosion and poor water quality are destroying important platypus
habitats. You can help increase the platypus population by visiting
http://www.amp.com.au/ and clicking on the "Project Platypus" promotional
button.

For every click, the AMP Foundation will donate $1 (up to a maximum of
$10,000) to Project Platypus a Landcare Network in the upper Wimmera River
catchment in Victoria.

Clicking is free, it takes only a few minutes and you won't be asked for any
personal details. The more people click, the more funding will be donated to
Landcare.
http://www.amp.com.au/
COOL!
Considering we have a Platypus front door and our house is called Boondaburra (www.boondaburra.com) which is aboriginal for Platypus, we'll be clicking every day :D

EcoDave :)

Image[/img]

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 11 July 05 7:34 pm

I hope you double glazed that panel Dave... the lead light can flex enough on some designs enabling it to be pushed in making an easy entry point

aloysius
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by aloysius » 11 July 05 7:46 pm

ok.....cuhhlick. $1 to platypus :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 12 July 05 12:01 am

swampgecko wrote:I hope you double glazed that panel Dave... the lead light can flex enough on some designs enabling it to be pushed in making an easy entry point
No double glazing.
There are half a dozen better entry points than the front door.
Don't think you can flex this stuff, hand made, not that cheap fake stuff the other houses have, you'd have to smash it.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 12 July 05 7:21 am

That panel doesn't look all that wide, and the design isn't that complicated, so you may be ok, but we are having a 2000mm by 400mm panel (for beside the frontdoor) with a reasonable intricate design put in (hand made by Mrs Gecko - she has done a few interesting pieces now - will have to post a pic of her possum panel that she made for the laundry cupboard) and that will be re-inforced with the design, as well as double glazed. on the other hand, my brother has a nice simple oval design in his front door and that flexs if you push gently against it.

Now back on topic - click click for the platypus

Hmmm there's another thing Mrs Eco Nic and I share in common, appart from her butt in my cache and a bowlingball named "Steve"..... I too am a big fan of the playpus

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 12 July 05 9:59 am

Was very interested in this post. My brother used to be the Project Manager and while he had this role I set up the domain for them, http://www.platypus.org.au. I also look after the web page, but since they have provided no content or other information it is more just a place holder for the email addresses. Will have to update it to include the link to the AMP site.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 12 July 05 7:49 pm

swampgecko wrote:That panel doesn't look all that wide, and the design isn't that complicated, so you may be ok, but we are having a 2000mm by 400mm panel (for beside the frontdoor) with a reasonable intricate design put in (hand made by Mrs Gecko - she has done a few interesting pieces now - will have to post a pic of her possum panel that she made for the laundry cupboard) and that will be re-inforced with the design, as well as double glazed. on the other hand, my brother has a nice simple oval design in his front door and that flexs if you push gently against it.
Our one doesn't flex at all, so you'd have to smash the entire panel out to be able to squeeze through sideways. It's made of lots of small pieces of thick glass, not one of those painted single piece types.
I guess you could just smash out one piece and get your hand through, but you can't unlock the deadlock so that's kinda pointless.

With the rich high quality glass used we get an incredible light show on the wall in the morning sun, and at night the whole thing lights up from the light inside the house, the colours are just incredible. Photos can't do it justice. Looks pretty drab during the day from the outside though.

We want to see the possum panel!

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 12 July 05 9:33 pm

I've heard that light is actually more secure that plain glass as even if the glass is broken you still have a web of lead that has to be removed before entry can be gained.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 12 July 05 11:14 pm

One possum for the Eco Team. All handmade By Clare Gecko. This was taken by flash with the lightbox on... the face was foiled due to the size of the pieces involved.

Clare's father is to make the laundry cabinet this is to be part of, my contribution was/is to be:
a) keeping out of Clare's way,
b) giving in to her request that my radio control aircraft/model train room should be her studio for leadlighting
c) I get to wire in the small fluro needed to illuminate behind the possum once the panel is mounted in the cabinet........

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 13 July 05 1:55 pm

swampgecko wrote:Image
One possum for the Eco Team. All handmade By Clare Gecko. This was taken by flash with the lightbox on... the face was foiled due to the size of the pieces involved.

Clare's father is to make the laundry cabinet this is to be part of, my contribution was/is to be:
a) keeping out of Clare's way,
b) giving in to her request that my radio control aircraft/model train room should be her studio for leadlighting
c) I get to wire in the small fluro needed to illuminate behind the possum once the panel is mounted in the cabinet........
Nice work by Clare!
Nicely stayed out of the way by Swampy!

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 July 05 3:39 pm

Thats gorgeous! I've always wanted a leadlight window with a lizard in it (preferably a gecko).....I'm obsessed with lizards....especially geckos. (I have two tattoos of geckos....ones the size of an A4 page on my shoulder)

I've never seen a leadlight artist I liked. Mrs.Gecko is extremely talented Swampy! Thats an awesome piece of art!

Marie

Cached

Post by Cached » 13 July 05 5:05 pm

laundry cabinet
This is to be relegated to the laundry? It's brilliant - I hope the Laundry is worthy...

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 13 July 05 9:44 pm

Believe it or not, that is only her third project, the first was a small tulip panel and the second is hanging in our dining room, a lampshape. The next is a panel for the entry area, this one will be massive, the design is all Clare's own work, right from scratch. The focal point will be a pair of sulphur crested white cockatoo's. The rest of the panel will be geometic patterns in a classic federation style. Then once she has recovered from that stress loading, there is a whale panel for the toilet window.. over a meter long by about 40cm high..

Clare is flattered by the praise, I gave her the money for a session of lessons one year for her birthday, as lead lighting was one of those things she always wanted to learn...

Money well spent in my books :D :D :D :D :D

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 14 July 05 5:47 am

Definitely a great present Swampy! I'd love to see the whale one when she's done if you can manage a piccy!

Marie