Flash Mobs?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 October 03 3:29 pm

While you're there, check out the videos posted from mob #3, absolutely hilarious. If you've got the bandwidth, I highly recommend the 9Mb full version. It features Snifter bailing out to take photos, the sharp thunderbird stylings of Ecoteam and other hilarious moments, replete with merry backing music. :)

- Rog

tamphex

SYDMOB #4

Post by tamphex » 03 October 03 12:21 pm

Here you go guys ((:
<p>
<p>
SYDMOB #4
<p>
On the morning of Saturday 4th October, you should have already synchronized your watch to the time of the telstra clock available by calling 1194
<p>
By 11:40am you should be in the inner city. Go to Haymarket (China Town) and locate the "Golden Tree" on the corner of Sussex St and Haymarket St
<p>
http://www.whereis.com/search/email_map ... ?id=283862
<p>
(The Mob Rep will be present at this location only between 11:50am and
12:25pm)
<p>
Within that vicinity locate the Mob Rep wearing a backwards black baseball
cap & sunglasses. Once found, say this phrase "Monkey See?", you will then receive your instructions.
<p>
**NOTE: It is vital that EVERYONE intending to take part in this event
approaches the Mob Rep to recieve their OWN SET of instructions
<p>
Move away, read it, then follow them.
<p>
Guidlines:
<p>
- If you are attending a mob with either a partner or a large group of
friends, organize to meet at a designated spot after the act has taken
place. Preferably this spot should be far enough away so that people who
have just witnessed the event don't put 2 and 2 together.
<p>
- When the act is over, disperse from the area at the allocated time
outlined in the instructions handed to you by the organizer. Choose a
direction and leave *alone*. This cannot be stressed enough.
<p>
- Try and not converse with anyone when you are leaving the area, fellow
mobbers and especially spectators. If someone really wants to ask what
happened, shrug and deny any knowledge. What just took place didn't actually take place at all.
<p>
- If you're attending the mob with digital equipment and wish to take a shot of the disperse, try and allocate yourself away a bit from the area. Or have a friend organized to take the wanted shots for you so you don't miss out on the fun.
<p>
- There has been reports at some mobs that participants have suddenly gone into a round of applause at the end of the act just before the disperse happens. Even if the instructions don't outline this action during the act, theres nothing actually wrong with doing it. Feel free to share your
appreciation with fellow mobbers. But try and disperse as planned as well.
<p>
- When the disperse happens, leave the area in a calm and sensible manner. When you have a group of people which could reach over 100 it's never a good idea to intiate a mass stampede, the threat of a real injury happening is quite real.
<p>
- If there is a presence of authority (police, security etc) and they give
out explicit instructions to leave the area, do so. Even if its before the
designated disperse time. Having people arrested for taking place in a
flashmob is not the kind of attention we are seeking.
<p>
- Leave nothing behind but the lasting effect on the minds of your fellow
mobbers and the witnessing general public.
<p>
Noticed someone mentioned the fact I keep picking inner city locations; Only reason for this is that the inner city is the most commonly known by most people and thus attracts the most public. But your point is noted, perhaps a "urban mob event" could be in the works, as also will be an midweek attempt coming up soon.
<p>
Look forward to see you guys come along to tomorrows event and thanks for your dedication so far!
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
David
<p>
www.sydmob.com
<p>

ToolkiT

Re: SYDMOB #4

Post by ToolkiT » 03 October 03 12:26 pm

tamphex wrote:Here you go guys ((:
Noticed someone mentioned the fact I keep picking inner city locations; Only reason for this is that the inner city is the most commonly known by most people and thus attracts the most public. But your point is noted, perhaps a "urban mob event" could be in the works, as also will be an midweek attempt coming up soon.
How about places like North Sydney, Chatswood, Paramatta etc (I'm sure there are simular places on the south shore too)
Not CBD, yet very busy...

Not sure if I can make it this time.. if the weather gets a bit better I should be somewhere in the middle of a national park..

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 October 03 4:24 pm

Just got back from Sydmob #4 - What an absolute hoot that was...

Monkey business in Chinatown - basically two conga lines where everyone had to do what the guy at the front did... (while making monkey noises)

I had decided to take photos this time, but ended up taking part in a major role as well (See later)...

We had a bit of a false start at one end... A young guy wearing a black beanie (which was the agreed signal) just happened to pass through the Chinatown gates just before the appointed time and a whole horde of mobbers started to follow him in single file... The poor guy and his friends were getting VERY VERY confused about all these people following them and kept turning around (upon which the mobbers also turned around)... Eventually someone near the front asked him if we was the mob-rep and the quizzical look on his face said it all... The black mob then returned to the starting point... I explained what had happened to the guy and he thought it was hilarious... No doubt he'll be along for future mobs...

Then the real black beanie emerged and the fun began... I took as many photos as I could, but it was hard to keep up with all the action... At one point I was standing on top of a pole trying to get some good shots and David came up and shook hands with me... I then had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of half the Sydney flash-mob community... (slightly disrupted my photography though David :-) )

I felt really sorry for the poor guy who was trying to meditate in the middle of the street - he must have wondered what the hell was going on, but he didn't flinch a muscle or open his eyes for the whole time...

I got a few good shots of some very confused diners and passers by, but most of them were taken in haste and therefore out of focus...

Enjoy the photos that did pass my scrutiny at http://users.bigpond.net.au/jpeake/monkeysee.htm

Cheers,
Sydney Mobber (aka Leek) (aka John)

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 04 October 03 5:32 pm

What a great turn out. The looks on the baystanders were priceless and yes do have a photo of leek standing on a pole taking photos. My best photos are of the place called the Happy Cup with the waiters in big smiles but my best is a waiter with the biggest toothiest grin you have ever seen. I will pass these on to leek so he can show everyone.
I have never done so much exercise is such a short time as I did today.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 October 03 6:11 pm

Thanks Snifter - Photos duely added to the end of the page at http://users.bigpond.net.au/jpeake/monkeysee.htm

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 04 October 03 9:40 pm

That was sooooo much fun! Nice photos Leek and Snifter.

- R

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 17 October 03 10:05 am

Sydney flashmob #5 is on this Sunday. It's kind of frustrating that I started this thread, but I have been unable to make any of the Sydney flashmobs. Oh well - such is the life of the new parent.
SYDMOB #5
On the morning of Sunday 19th October, you should have already synchronized your watch to the time of the telstra clock available by calling 1194

By 12:30pm you should be in the inner city. Go to Herald Square at Circular Quay (lots of funky sculptures) Corner of Alfred & Pitt Street http://www.whereis.com/search/email_map ... ?id=288925

(The Mob Rep will be present at this location only between 12:40pm and 1:20pm)

Within that vicinity locate the Mob Rep wearing a blue beret. Once found, say this phrase "Reporting for duty" - you will then receive your instructions.

**NOTE: It is vital that EVERYONE intending to take part in this event approaches the Mob Rep to recieve their OWN SET of instructions

Move away, read it, then follow them.

Guidlines:

- If you are attending a mob with either a partner or a large group of friends, organize to meet at a designated spot after the act has taken place. Preferably this spot should be far enough away so that people who have just witnessed the event don't put 2 and 2 together.

- When the act is over, disperse from the area at the allocated time outlined in the instructions handed to you by the organizer. Choose a direction and leave *alone*. This cannot be stressed enough.

- Try and not converse with anyone when you are leaving the area, fellow mobbers and especially spectators. If someone really wants to ask what happened, shrug and deny any knowledge. What just took place didn't actually take place at all.

- If you're attending the mob with digital equipment and wish to take a shot of the disperse, try and allocate yourself away a bit from the area. Or have a friend organized to take the wanted shots for you so you don't miss out on the fun.

- There has been reports at some mobs that participants have suddenly gone into a round of applause at the end of the act just before the disperse happens. Even if the instructions don't outline this action during the act, theres nothing actually wrong with doing it. Feel free to share your appreciation with fellow mobbers. But try and disperse as planned as well.

- When the disperse happens, leave the area in a calm and sensible manner. When you have a group of people which could reach over 100 it's never a good idea to intiate a mass stampede, the threat of a real injury happening is quite real.

- If there is a presence of authority (police, security etc) and they give out explicit instructions to leave the area, do so. Even if its before the designated disperse time. Having people arrested for taking place in a flashmob is not the kind of attention we are seeking.

- Leave nothing behind but the lasting effect on the minds of your fellow mobbers and the witnessing general public.

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Melbourne Flashmobs

Post by dcr » 09 September 04 3:20 pm

As there seems to be a fair cross over between geocachers and mobbers in Sydney, i thought it was worthwhile pointing out the re-birth of the Melbourne flashmob scene (?)
Have a look at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/melbflashmob/ Discussions are underway for Melb-Mob#3

cheers Darren :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 09 September 04 3:37 pm

Did a cacher just call my mobile about sydmob? I didn't recognise the caller. Anyhoo, www.sydmob.com is still alive, as I understand it, though I haven't been to any for ages.

- Rog

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 09 September 04 6:17 pm

ALIVE and VERY WELL. There is a flash this Saturday but don't know where till tomorrow. As soon as I know I will post it here.
BTW an urban flash was organised at Parramatta and the response was ........well lets not talk about that one.
City venues are the go.

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 09 September 04 8:46 pm

Here it is. Just be there.
SYDMOB #22

On the afternoon of Saturday the 11th of September, you should have already synchronized your watch to the time of the Telstra clock, available by calling 1194

By 12:45 pm you should be in the Town Hall area, make your way to the back of St Andrews Cathedral, Cnr Bathurst & George Streets. (UBD(tm) page no.
253 grid G9 -

*The Mob Rep will be only present between 1:00m and 1:45 pm*

Locate the individual in the general vicinity the Town Hall and the Cathedral carrying a silver folder and wearing a Rastafarian hat. Approach this person and say. "Hey there buddy, do you need a push?"

You will be then handed the rest of the instructions. Move away, read them, and then follow them.

As we have quite a few first timers I have copied the general mob guidelines below, please take a minute to read them to help you make the most of your mobbing experience. A BIG tip is to reach the site on, or ahead of time. As we only perform an act of two or three minutes, you will miss it if you dawdle.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 13 September 04 3:35 pm

Great photos of mob 22. Did you take some of those Snifter? http://www.sydmob.com

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 13 September 04 5:13 pm

Yawn ... still playing follow the leader, are they? That was fun the first time in mob [something less than 10], then they got in a "when the mob rep does blah ... follow them ..." rut.

</cynical> :)

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 13 September 04 5:56 pm

Yes I took quite a few of them. I wasn't about to dance across pyrmont Bridge. I opted for the easy way and went ahead and took the pics. I still feel part of it and I did do some of the rain dance but obviously not enough. It hasn't rained yet,Gee I even said prayers in church yesterday as well. :lol: . Must try harder next time.