Official Player Cards

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you think "official" Player Cards would be a good idea?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 28

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Official Player Cards

Post by EcoTeam » 01 July 05 2:25 pm

Based on the Poker Chip thread...

What about having "Official" CGA "Player" cards which cachers can collect?
We could have a downloadable card template with a standard CGA logo and format, and people can simply add their own photo.

This could make them more fun to collect and make.
Some cards would be rarer and more prestigious than others. You could have Player Cards, Event Cards, Cache Cards, Special Series cards etc

Say a Maccamob card might be as common as mud, EcoNic Wonderwoman cards might be popular, Ideology cards might be rare etc

You could even have caches that can only be completed if you have certain cards etc

What about it?

EcoDave :)

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 01 July 05 3:07 pm

No offence, but I consider calling cards geotrash, they just start to clog up caches with bits of paper cardboard etc.

just my 2 cents.

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Re: Official Player Cards

Post by dcr » 01 July 05 3:54 pm

EcoTeam wrote:This could make them more fun to collect and make.
Perhaps a most wanted pack ...
cheers Darren ;)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 July 05 4:08 pm

How do you collect them?

Do you have to find them in a cache placed by the owner of the card or are the cards collected by cachers and then if they find they already have one, they leave it in another cache?

I think this is interesting. As you say, you could have rare cards, common cards, uncommon cards based on how many cards you as an individual wanted to include in the game.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 01 July 05 4:43 pm

Webguy wrote:No offence, but I consider calling cards geotrash, they just start to clog up caches with bits of paper cardboard etc.

just my 2 cents.
Precisely.
That's why I figured an "official" card that the majority liked and collected would be a good idea. Get people excited about calling cards and you:
a) get rid of the "geotrash"
b) Add another element to the game

I've noticed the current individual calling cards do tend to stay put as "geotrash". I don't know anyone who collects them?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 01 July 05 6:01 pm

I really have issues with anything "official" in geocaching. There is no person or entity in existence that has the capacity to label anything official with any great authority. With a leaderless community like GCA, you can't possibly expect everybody to agree on a standard for something that some people don't even like unofficially.

Semantics aside, I think there have been some great templates put out by cachers for swaggies, stash notes etc, and I think it would be good to see people making cacher card templates available if other people are interested in them.

So, in other words, it's not my thing, but there are bound to be a few people about who are interested in the concept, more "power" to you all. :) I, and others I suspect, always thought calling cards were supposed to stay put, which is why they pile up.

Unoficially yours, :p
- Rog

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 01 July 05 7:47 pm

Mind Socket wrote:I really have issues with anything "official" in geocaching. There is no person or entity in existence that has the capacity to label anything official with any great authority.
Errrr.. Jeremy would think otherwise :P

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 01 July 05 8:37 pm

He's officially welcome to. :O)

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 01 July 05 9:21 pm

i think its worth pursuing. just as TB's aren't everyones cup of tea, this is just another element to enjoying the hunt - partake if you want to and ignore if you don't. how about business card blanks - these aren't too big to take up space in a cache. laminating them would add further protection from the elements.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 01 July 05 9:46 pm

<P> something like this perhaps??

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 July 05 11:25 pm

I must admit I am starting to warm to the idea. Not necessarily of the poker chips, as a few of them could start to fill the smaller caches. Cards that are collectable may work as they lie flat and take up less space.

I don't like the cards people have left so far - "I have been here" style. But a team card, individualised, with some text on the back indicating it is a collectable could be another aspect to the hobby.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 02 July 05 12:20 am

Mind Socket wrote:I really have issues with anything "official" in geocaching. There is no person or entity in existence that has the capacity to label anything official with any great authority. With a leaderless community like GCA, you can't possibly expect everybody to agree on a standard for something that some people don't even like unofficially.

Semantics aside, I think there have been some great templates put out by cachers for swaggies, stash notes etc, and I think it would be good to see people making cacher card templates available if other people are interested in them.
Yep, that's the idea.
There is nothing really "Official" in caching. It's just as you say, someone starts something and it gets popular. Having something downloadable from the GCA website is about as "official" as it gets. This idea probably won't work as well if it's just one some cachers personal web page.

I think for the concept to work though, we must have one template which everyone follows. The cards are then instantly recognisable, the same size etc
So, in other words, it's not my thing, but there are bound to be a few people about who are interested in the concept, more "power" to you all. :) I, and others I suspect, always thought calling cards were supposed to stay put, which is why they pile up.

Unoficially yours, :p
- Rog
These aren't "calling" cards, these are collectables!
Collect all the Team Chaos members for example, just like Chaos Cash etc!

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 02 July 05 12:29 am

alpha993 wrote:Image

<P> something like this perhaps??
Yeah, something like.
I was thinking photos instead of just text though. No fun having just text.
Bronze could have an entire teapot range, Tangles could do a Nudie series, God knows that the Capt'n would have on his etc
Could be very cool!

Format wise I was thinking more in line with the collectable sports cards, standard playing card size, with a blank photo spot to take up most of the card, and a smaller CGA symbol up the top, with info text down the bottom explaining the card. I guess a "rarity" rating marked on it, or number of cards produced, like "1 of 5" etc would be essential so you instantly know the "worth" of a card.

Cards could be traded, left as swaps, used as part of a game, the possibilities are endless...
Of course, those who don't want to participate don't, those that do, do.
It's up to each cacher as to how they release cards and how many etc, there would be no "rules" except for use of the standard template.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 02 July 05 12:50 am

richary wrote:I must admit I am starting to warm to the idea. Not necessarily of the poker chips, as a few of them could start to fill the smaller caches. Cards that are collectable may work as they lie flat and take up less space.

I don't like the cards people have left so far - "I have been here" style. But a team card, individualised, with some text on the back indicating it is a collectable could be another aspect to the hobby.
The thing with the poker chips and other calling cards is that they typically don't have peoples photos on them, so they are kinda boring.
If we started to have photos then people can get real creative!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 02 July 05 1:16 am

EcoTeam wrote:...to have photos then people can get real creative!

Teapots! Bugger off. More like Puppetry of the Penis! comes to mind?

We could have a whole series titled "The Masters of Genital Oragami". Collect them all.

Yeah - I like this idea! No strings attached!

The Bronze.
SORRY I HAD TO DELETE THE IMAGE POSTED. IMAGES LIKE THAT ARE NOT A GOOD IDEA - embi

"Fold A to B. Now cut down from C and flay"