GPSMAP 60C gear.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
SteelRat

GPSMAP 60C gear.

Post by SteelRat » 18 June 05 11:40 pm

I've been contemplating forking out some bucks and getting the gen-yoo-ine garmin suction cup mounting bracket (about $59) and a new clear faced carry case ($36). Before I did, has anyone else tried these ridgey-didge versions? Are they any good?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: GPSMAP 60C gear.

Post by riblit » 19 June 05 12:49 am

SteelRat wrote:I've been contemplating forking out some bucks and getting the gen-yoo-ine garmin suction cup mounting bracket (about $59) and a new clear faced carry case ($36). Before I did, has anyone else tried these ridgey-didge versions? Are they any good?
The RAM mounts are a lot better. They don't suffer from spine breakage.

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 19 June 05 1:06 am

I'm using the suction cup mount for my 60CS. Holds fine and is great if you're looking to transfer the unit between different cars or just don't want to drill holes or leave perminent marks on your dashboard. However I've only had mine a few months, so I can't speak for just how durable they are.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 19 June 05 9:10 am

Hi, had my suction mount for a little over a year now. Three observations:

- The suction cup seems to have less suction than i've seen with other mounts (RAM etc). It still holds, though in the NQ sun i find that the mount will fall off unexpectantly (more than likely due to the amount of heat generated and the drying effect on the rubber cup).

- The plastic style, with two articulated arms, means the GPS can vibrate too much for my liking. I generally rest the bottom of the GPS mount on the dash to add stability. I'm sure RAM mounts, for their price and style, would be better at preventing this.

- The ratchet dial which tilts the GPS around 360 degrees is rather weak for my liking. To view the GPS square on in most cars involve a slight twist of the suction cup are when mounting and a subsequent tilt of this dial setting. At times the GPS will not sit vertically due to it spinning slightly, especially on 4wd tracks. There needs to be a locking mechanism, not unlike the removable marine base, to fix the GPS in place when happy.

All in all, an ok product for the price.

As for the carry case, most damage to my 60CS has been to the antannae as i generally try to protect the screen at all costs. The "rubber" antannae area wears over time to a smooth feel, due to it rubbing on everything known to man. I would prefer if they produced a full cover for the 60C/S though i realise reception etc becomes a problem.

HTH

Agsmky

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 19 June 05 10:34 am

Why not go down to your local $2 shop and see if you can pick up a mobile phone holder. I pick up this one about a year ago for $4. Works really well. Sometime I can't get it of the windscreen because the suction is that good.

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 19 June 05 11:32 am

Dooghan wrote:Why not go down to your local $2 shop and see if you can pick up a mobile phone holder. I pick up this one about a year ago for $4. Works really well. Sometime I can't get it of the windscreen because the suction is that good.
I'm onto my second of these after breaking the first one trying to get it off the windscreen - talk about good suction :)

The are quite flimsy, but at $4 you can destroy 10 of them and still be financially in front.

dave

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 19 June 05 5:58 pm

I can vouch for the mobile-phone holder. Got one of those and then headed into Woolies supermarket and found (in their little hardware section) some really neat suction mounts with hooks on them. Off to Bunnings for some aluminium and, after a few holes and wingnuts, I have a neat strong suction mount for the GPS. I had previously made a similar one for my old GPS12 as well, which survived rough desert trecks in a 4WD as well as general road motoring.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 19 June 05 10:58 pm

I've actually got one of the $4 phone holders pictured above. Originally had it for the GPS12, but have found with the MAP60C that it tends to leap outwards if the road gets a bit rough. Mind you, this is only when the 12V lighter cable is attached, as it tends to push the GPS too far forward to be gripped properly on the sides. I am also still using an old leather mobile phone clip case to carry and protect it. Also had it for the GPS12 (a PERFECT fit), the stetch sides and totally clear front still accomodate the 60C, and protect the antenna.

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: GPSMAP 60C gear.

Post by Chookies » 20 June 05 2:12 am

SteelRat wrote:I've been contemplating forking out some bucks and getting the gen-yoo-ine garmin suction cup mounting bracket - Are they any good?
My kids would probably break the "gen-yoo-ine" version, hence why we purchased the RAM unit. It cost a lot more, but is worth every cent, and then some. My kids could almost swing off it.

In speaking to the shop/distributer, I was told that they get several returns of the "gen-yoo-ine" article. When I asked about the RAM unit I was told that if Ever it broke, it would be replaced on the spot. It can be manouvered into almost any position, stays put, has almost no movement, & is damn strong!

P.S. I once watched Muzza place a piece of wide clear sticky tape accross the screen of his GPS unit. I have copied this & am very grateful for this simple idea. This has prevented my screen from getting scratched many times. When damaged, simply peel it off to reveal a safe n sound screen underneath.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 20 June 05 2:49 am

I jam mine...

Between the dash and window. Kids can swing off it but if I take a hard right or left the generally slide off the bonnet and roll along the side walk.

Fits great!

The Bronze.
"My name is Fernando.
I will make you some tea, yes"

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 20 June 05 10:54 am

I've a Legend Colour.

The rubber seal around the outside is all loose. I put this down to attempting to use mobile phone holders. Not much chop.

Now I use this one:

I've got some velcro on the bottom and in each car and move it around.

It's fantastic, is money well spent and worth paying the good $$ for.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 20 June 05 10:13 pm

Cached wrote:I've a Legend Colour.

The rubber seal around the outside is all loose. I put this down to attempting to use mobile phone holders. Not much chop.
Sadly a known Garmin problem, common on all of them whether they have been mishandled or not.

Its the glue they use to stick the rubber down with, I dont think it is just right for Aust conditions.

Cached

Post by Cached » 21 June 05 10:51 am

I agree about the glue, but my rubber seal has actually stretched considerably, and it's still really a new item - I've only had it since November.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 21 June 05 7:56 pm

It took about 18 months for mine to wear. I've been using craft glue, which seems to hold for a few weeks.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 21 June 05 11:58 pm

OK, I give up. Apart from big things for bashing down doors, or mysterious technology found in computers, or wooly things with horns on that go baaaa, what the hell is a RAM?